SAU Community

C34 Front Upper Control Arm Query/Advice needed - Bushes

Stagea_Neo

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has changed their stock front upper /  inner control arm bushes for nolathane and has any advice on doing so?

See pic circled in red with the bushes im referring to.

Can I do it myself? ie. with an air chisel and a suitable sized/diameter socket on the end.

Or is it a hydraulic press job?

I've already done the outside bushes, the originals popped of easy with the air chisel as they had a little lip to get some purchase on.

Cheers,

Pete

c34uppercontrolarm.jpg

Cheers.  I wonder how many ton pressure they need.

I've got some box steel, angle iron and a 2 ton bottle jack. might make my own press.

Re: Roughnuts will butcher........  GEEEEEZ!! makes me cringe.  I believe in having the right tool for the job.

A few things to consider:

Is there a good quality aftermarket replacement arm which already has new bushings but also adjustable camber? Rather than the eccentric bolt?

Many years ago I replaced all my bushings front and rear with superpro polyurethane bushings. Sure they've been fine. But the castor isn't adjustable and is slightly out, the camber adjustment bolts aren't the greatest and most secure way of adjusting them.

If I were to do them again I'd probably just replace the arms with aftermarket ones. I used a 5 ton press to get everything out. The biggest pain is having a wide selection of metal pipe pieces that are strong enough to press things out with. The rear hub bushings gave me PTSD.

Cheers for the feedback.

Yeah I've already got the superpro outer adjustable bushes, been in for about a year now.

Bought the inner non adjustable superpro bushes last week and planning to install this week/next week.

I'm kinda set on going polyurethane path to help stiffen things up a bit and longevity.

RE: Is there a good quality aftermarket replacement arm which already has new bushings but also adjustable camber? Rather than the eccentric bolt?

Yep, Hardrace and Cusco do them about $450-$500. Rubber bush.  Would have been the easier option.

On 8/11/2022 at 3:11 PM, zoomzoom said:

Is there a good quality aftermarket replacement arm which already has new bushings but also adjustable camber? Rather than the eccentric bolt?

Yes, I would suggest that the R34 FUCA from GKTech would fit. Looks to be the same. This is a truly hardcore upgrade though. Spherical joints.