SAU Community

New Australian GTR Record

PurpleR32

Well I guess it was only a matter of time before the 9.75s record set by Mario's GTR 700 was broken. An adelaide entrant has clintched top spot with a 9.745. Keir Wilson is the owner/driver of the R32 GTR with an OS Giken 3 litre, hollinger, and TD06 turbos (last time i checked)

Congrats must go to Keir and everyone involved as thats a sensational effort.

With the return of Mario GTR records are set to tumble and with a few big HP GTR's on the build, the competition is finally turning into what I've been hoping it would for at least 2 years.

My question is this: Is Keirs 32GTR now eligable to become a RH9 car? If so, I believe its the first GTR in Australia to be eligable. (Mario's is in the Pro class)

I reckon that Kier's car is Australia's 1st recognised RH9 car.

He was road registered, had streetable tyres, what else do you need? He drove it in, ran and drove it out again.

As mentioned above, Mario had the record but ran full slicks in a fully stripped car putting him in a completely different category of ProGTR. I'm hanging to see that car run a "real" time for the amount of HP it's claimed to have (exact figures have never been published).

Congrats to Kier and his crew for making a mark in the Aussie Jap car history books.

The official RH9 sticker reads ;

The street specs of GTR,0-400m 9 second's

Record Holders Club.

Danny(denzo) gave me his RH9 stickers when he stopped draging

his white R32 GTR due to breakages.(has sick drift cars instead)

I believe, in Japan, if a GTR runs street tyres & can drive out to

the track, run nines then drive home again, it is a RH9 car.

There is a fine line though.Most GTRs capable of running nines would be trailered to the track due to logistical reasons.Why wear

out a highly tuned GTR in traffic when you can unleash it on the track?

The problem we have in Australia is that the only "street tyres"

they use in Japan(on all the serious cars anyway) are Nitto Extreme 555R tyres.These tyres are not legal on the street in Australia.Keir puts his on at the Track.So will I when they get here.(in transit now).Most of the fast cars in Jap run rollcages.

Next problem - Once you run past 10.0 you must have a full roll cage with intrusion bars(Andra tech inspected).Up to 10.0 a 1/2

cage with intrusion bar on drivers side is ok.This is acceptable on the street(from a practicle point of view)but once you need a full

cage the car becomes less practicle as a street car.

At this level you must have a triple layer fire suit,fire resistant socks,boots,gloves, even underwear.Also arm restraints or window net plus 5 point harness etc etc.

Once you hit 140mph through the traps a parachute in mandatory.

So to be able to race a RH9 street car in Australia on a regular basis you have to turn it into a full blown, Andra tech inspected Drag car!!! Hmmm. Caught between a rock & a hard place.

While we like to hang on to the "but it's a street car"mentality,

I have had to face the hard truth that an 800hp,quad plate clutch/

holinger sequential/locked diffs,stripped out interior,Nitto wearing

GTR is a RACE car with number plates.Add a roll cage & parachute

and who are we kidding? No turning back now. Reece & Mario have cracked the nines.Now Keir has taken the title back to Adelaide with his beautifully built (Australian delivered!!!) R32 GTR. I am hot on his heels(when my Holinger gets here) & I'm

sure there are a number of other crazy GTRs out there in the wings.Man. It's going to be an interesting summer.

Never know.One day we might have our own competition GTR class!In the meantime, who's going to beat Reece's 9.518?

:burnout: