SAU Community

Aussie Skyline History

Duncan

OK, help me out with a history lesson!

I'd like to collect details of the Aussie delivered Skylines thru to R31....dates, names, engines and some pics.

I'll sticky this up once we have the info!

So, those who have been around long enough to remember, start posting!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Year :73-77

Model designation: C110

Engine : L24

Engine type : SOHC L6

Engine capacity : 2393cc

Ignition : points

Body type : sedan and hardtop

stovetop lights? : yes

Year :1977-1982

Model designation : C210

Engine : L24

Engine type : SOHC L6

Engine capacity : 2393cc

Ignition : points/electronic in 81-82

Body type : sedan and hardtop

stovetop lights : not in aus......only japan

First (PRINCE) SKYLINES in Australia, mid 1964, were (S50) 4 cylinder 1500cc four doors.

~Sept 1965 the first four door two litre six cylinder (S54Be2, later was the Be3, "e" meant export model) triple webered PRINCE SKYLINE 2000 GT-B's came off the boat from Japan.At this time Australia was the only country the SKYLINE was officially exported to.

Skylines continued to be imported from 1965 to 1968('67 models). 1966 saw the absorbing of Prince Motor Company by Nissan Motors, and Skylines although still built by the same people, were now Nissan Prince Skyline GT's ("A" model single carby, or "B" model with three DCOE 18 40mm Webers) There were a quite a few more differences!

Badging varied from 2000 GT to NISSAN PRINCE A200 GT.

With 3 webers;

2 litre 6 cylinder (G7) 127bhp @ 5600 rpm

123ft/lbs torque @ 4400 rpm

With single Nikki downdraught;

106 bhp and ?? for the rest!

No 1968 model Skylines for Australia. Nothing 'till ~May 1973 when we got the C110, AKA the Datsun 240K.

Second white car is a Prince Motor Company built S54b2

RED car is a NISSAN built S54Be3.

Engine is the G7 "B" version.

Jim.

1982 is where the r30 began....you would have to ask the guys in the r30 thread about that one.

have a look in my gallery...its chockers of c210/c211 pix

EDIT: Also check out my thread "c210/c211 skylines" for full history of this model

i don't know if this will help as the r30 was produced in OZ as well as imported in small numbers?

the MR30 was the australian version, HR and DR were the japanese made sports versions produced in both 2 and 4 door examples, 81/82 the HR was built as an entry level sports car basic turbo inline sohc 6 cylinder producing around the 150-160bhp with a weight of around the 1150kg mark for the 2 door and only slightly more weighty in the 4 door, this car was raced both in japan, the USA and here in australia with "gibson motor sport" being the main surrporter of the skyline here in OZ, in the US Paul Newman took a liking to the car and raced it with much success there, this in turn lead to Nissan japan producing a limited # of "Paul Newman" HR30 skylines both in the 2 and very rear 4 door versions, still running the inline 6 but it produced around 170-180bhp. i don't know what year production of the HR stopped as in 1982 Nissan began production of the DR30....

the first of the DR range i believe was a N/A fj20de powered car about 160bhp, the car itself had quite a few differences to the HR, it had all the "mod cons" radio, a/c, power windows and central locking which in turn made the DR about 100kg heavier than the HR, this trend seemed to follow in the next versions of the DR as well. the RS DR30 was a step up from the N/A version as it was powered by the fj20det at around 180-190bhp not to many changes other than the turbo and a brake upgrade though, some may have had a factor sun roof? then in 83/84 Nissan went that extra step forward and revamped the DR30 skyline into something that will turn heads even today.. the RS-X DR30, for starters the intercooled fj20det produced 205bhp and was the most powerful production car produced by Nissan, the look of the car was changed to a more aggressive looking no grill smaller headlights sharper front profile, "tekemon" or "iron mask" was what it was refered to by locals. all of these models have made there way over to australia at some point and are still being shipped today...

they were the beginning of what is now refered to as the "wedge shape" skyline, 6th generation skyline.....

i find it odd that the hr30 was built in 81 and 82 but the c210 was still in production in 82...

not saying that anyone is wrong, cos i dont know who's right and who isn't

Yes there were overlaps in production.

Production of the 32 started in '89, however, 31's were still being manufactured in '90.

:D

C210/211's ceased production in early 81 and sales records show stayed on sale till August 81 and MR30's took over from September of that year.

I not certain that is entirely correct.......because I have taken parts from a c210 in the wreckers and the compliance plate said 82..i dont recall the month though.

It had rectangular headlights similar to mr30

I not certain that is entirely correct.......because I have taken parts from a c210 in the wreckers and the compliance plate said 82..i dont recall the month though.

It had rectangular headlights similar to mr30

Not that it particularly matters, but if you took parts off a C210 with compliance plate stamped year 82, it would in fact be an Aussie C211, BUT! to my knowledge, No Skylines were made in Australia with the exception of that BRICK they called an R31 4 dr sedan & wagon. C110, C210/211, M/H/DR30 all made in Japan, and either shipped here in parts for assembly, or whole, but I think if my memory serves me correctly, all Skylines were fully imported. Some 240K's were assembled here, 4 dr sedans etc, but coupes were imported, same as 180B SSS.

And, I have a friend that owns a VL Dunnydore, complied 3/89, but it certainly wasn't made after 86, as VN's were released in 88.

FWIW, the Iron-mask DR30 was released early in '83. The RS (X) Turbo was realeased in the 2nd 1/2 of '83 & the Turbo-C (intercooled) was Jan '84 onwards. The last DR30's were fitted with factory CDI.

The DR30 RS-X Turbo was the only flagship model Skyline to be ever fitted with a 4-cylinder. The C210 GT-EX turbo was the first mass-produced Japanese Turbocharged vehicle.

The C10 was the only model to be offered as a 4-door GT-R (KGC10), and then offered as a 2-door GT-R (KPGC10).

The KPGC110 GT-R was only for sold over a period of around 6-9 months in '73 due to the oil crisis.

Bear in mind that all this info is for Japanese domestic models only

Ben/ further to your imformation on early skylines. Did you know that the First twin cam Skyline was built in 1965 (FEB) Did you know that the first turbo was in fact 1970 L20 I had one and is still going in car. Also the KPGC110 (1973) was sold only for local market. Reason that was never exported was that the S20 motors were owned by NISMO (alias Prince motor sport division, under the banner of Nissan , with the same engineer that first built the PRINCE) The motors were leased to the purchaser of there GT-R200 vehicles. There is only 287 cars ever built and reported to be 75-79 Genuine cars still alive>Red park has the most publisized vehicle (number 43) I have a vehicle with the vin KPGC110 but is not a GT-R but a GT-X2000 lower spec. It was brought into Aust via Port Moresby N.G. There was 4 different models of the KPGC110. Also as there was 7 different models of the PGC10 A little of the info. RAY

FWIW, the Iron-mask DR30 was released early in '83. The RS (X) Turbo was realeased in the 2nd 1/2 of '83 & the Turbo-C (intercooled) was Jan '84 onwards. The last DR30's were fitted with factory CDI.

The DR30 RS-X Turbo was the only flagship model Skyline to be ever fitted with a 4-cylinder. The C210 GT-EX turbo was the first mass-produced Japanese Turbocharged vehicle.

The C10 was the only model to be offered as a 4-door GT-R (KGC10), and then offered as a 2-door GT-R (KPGC10).

The KPGC110 GT-R was only for sold over a period of around 6-9 months in '73 due to the oil crisis.

Bear in mind that all this info is for Japanese domestic models only

Me again/ More facts. One reason that the KPGC110 was never exported to Aust, and it was> In 1973-74 the Australian muscle cars were hitting the market. Nissan was going to bring a few GT-R into Aust, but because of the drama with the Government of the day the muscle cars were shelved. Nissan did not wish to ruffle feathers in Aust by bringing the GT-R in, That is with the S20 motor.As two well known racing identities wanted them to race. Those people did eventually get there wish with Godzilla a few years later. Going back a sentence/ The only place on record that a genuine GT-R was exported ,in 1974 was England,

My car even though it is vin correct, is typical of Nissan of that era. They produced more of the desired model than motors and therefor down graded them in mechanical specs. My car was exported to N.G as a GT-X with L20 motor and twin Hitachi. Similar to the L24 specs as in 240Z There were approximately 24 KHGC110 2 door brought into Aust. with the L20 motor,which is a stronger motor than the L24. These were not badged as Datsun GL, but Datsun GT.(not Skyline)If I new how to download photo's then I could do so with ALL the models from 1957. Including a two door in 1963 that never made it to manufacturing. Not due to cost but due to being to far out for the era. Designed by pinafarina as they had a hand in some of the early ALB1S series Prince.

Hears another for you all I just thought of. There was a station wagon built in 1974 on the 4 door khgc110 model

If some one can explain to me how to download and what is the maximum size then I will try. Also in my archives I have pencil sketchs of the KPGC110 and the R380-381 (Prince)

Enough for now Ray

Yerp i concour with what Ben said, its good to read about the early nissan's and skylines and info upto the DR30's and beyond...Good stuff guys im enjoying it :D :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

Well spotted! The 240K had a rocky start marketing wise in Australia. Dropped right in it during 1. Fuel Crisis and 2. Supercar hysteria. As Ray (Prince) pointed out Nissan had the GT-R on hand as well but didn't make it out of Japan officially due to "Servicing concerns of the S20". To mix metaphors we can look back with 20-20 hindsight and read between the lines, thats political lines of the time. Any hint of high performance was removed as cars of this type were seen to be anti-social, using too much precious resources in the way of fuel, too much horsepower getting into the hands of the inexperienced...that sort of thing, not the image Nissan wanted to align itself with, bustin' it's ball joints to get into the family car market.Don't forget the power of the insurance industry came into political play. So Nissan did a quick "240k GT? no no mate....itsa GL, lovely finish, smoove ride...OOH LOOK, a seagull!!(yoink!)see? not a GT badge in sight!!"

You will find evidence of a few early escapees with variations of 240 K GT, Datsun GT badging. More common in Europe.

Can you post a pic of your Wagon Steve? I think I may have a brochure hereabouts of a skyway?

Cheers,

Jim.

Year :86-91

Model designation: R31

Engine : RB30E

Engine type : SOHC I6

Engine capacity : 2962cc

Ignition : electronic

4 speed Jatco overdrive auto and 5 speed MF5 manual transmission

Body type : sedan, wagon and (import only I believe- coupe?)

stovetop lights? : 1988-1991, first series had 4 horizontal lights, 2 each side split with a plastic panel

Thanks for that. I've been a bit one eyed and not shown much interest in Skylines beyond the C110, but your post points out some interesting facts!

A bit of Tasmanian trivia for you, did you know the Tasmanian police force took delivery of some 'specially prepared NSV Silhouettes? Now I'm going to have to find that article too. It's here somewhere......honest, but if someone can come to my rescue with some info on these police cars I'm sure we would all be richer from the experience :hippy:

Cheers,

Jim.