SAU Community

Aussie Skyline History

Duncan

Were the NSV built units GTS's or Silhouettes, or both? i mean could a Silhouette be a GTS? I really do need to find the article don't I... :bp:

BTW here's some more early bits, S21D first sold October of 1962.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that. I've been a bit one eyed and not shown much interest in Skylines beyond the C110, but your post points out some interesting facts!

A bit of Tasmanian trivia for you, did you know the Tasmanian police force took delivery of some 'specially prepared NSV Silhouettes? Now I'm going to have to find that article too. It's here somewhere......honest, but if someone can come to my rescue with some info on these police cars I'm sure we would all be richer from the experience  :hippy:  

Cheers,

Jim.

Yes I did know that mate,

actually I think that one of those was the state's last "official pursuit car,

now they only use standard vehicles with slight suspension mods for all duties and pursuit work.

Im not sure on specifics but I think they had about 200kw from the RB30E, not sure bout much else, sorry I cant b more helpful

cheers

Jacko

Im not sure on specifics but I think they had about 200kw from the RB30E, not sure bout much else, sorry I cant b more helpful

cheers

Jacko

There were 2 series of the GTS. Series 1 (all white with the rectangular tail lights) had 130kW, and Series 2 (all red with the round tail lights and white wheels) had 140kW. They rode on lowered Bilstein suspension, had the turbo front brakes, LSD, different cam, extractors, piggy back computer (maybe the first factory piggyback computer)

The Tasmanian police force had a few of them without any bodylit, but I believe they were otherwise the same spec.

All GTS's were Silouhettes, but not all Silouhettes were GTS's

I owned a GTSII for 7 years, and it was a beautiful car. Just the right amount of performance, comfort and style (and practicality).

I understand Nissan (or NSVD) also built one turbo one, to be the official pacecar at the Adelaide GP in 1989 or 1990. This car was for sale recently - I'd love to get my hands on it.

I didnt know that!

I thought the only time the RB30E had been released with a turbo from the factory was in hte mighty VL commodore from late in 1986 to about november 1988, im not certain on the release date of the turbo

was good for 150kw, had problems in some cases though, as the RB30E was mounted higher in the engine bay in the VL as opposed to the R31 and as a result they had a lot of head problems and also there was no room to fit an intercooler which could have lessened these problems.

the VL usually came standard with 3.45:1 diff gears,non LSD I think, and the MF5 manual or Jatco auto on the non turbo and 3.45:1 diff gears LSD and the tougher MF7 manual or a beefed up version of the Jatco auto on the turbo'd models.

My father currently owns a non NSV 1988 (horizontal tail lights) silhouette 5 speed, an absolue pleasure to drive, but for some reason it is fitted with the standard GX- GXE dash (no voltmeter or oil pressure guage, a few less warning lights) but still has all the wheels, interior fittings, body moulds, bodykit and silhouette on the original rego papers and build plate? We are still trying to work out why the standard lower spec dash is fitted, any help much appreciated

cheers

Jacko

Anyone out there got a hard copy brochure for the 1972 Skyline GT KGC10 or even the GT-R KPGC10?. To sell or to share?

Peace , Love and jellybeans :hippy:

Jim.

Anybody seen one, or got one?

I have 3 Skyway Wagons, all sold new in NZ during 1963. One in pic is going to be restored while the other two are only parts cars. They were known as the 'S21-4' series. Available model were S21S-4 (standard sedan), S21D-4 (Deluxe sedan) and W21B-4 or W21B-2 (wagon and plain van). The difference from the previous models was the new guards, grille, bumper and bonnet, otherwise they were identical from the windscreen back. Prince Skyline sedans were available in NZ from mid 1962 and the Prince Skyway offered in 1963. I have been told that Australia never got these models but got the 'S5' series ie: A150 and A200GT sedans from 1964? The NZ Prince agents only sold the 6cyl A200GTA and GTB, along side the Prince Gloria 6.

At one time it was one of many Glorias (and B200) cars we had including a B200 Estate. The white one in the pic was assembled in NZ with a floor change shifter from a S5 series Skyline GTA. All Gloria and B200 were 3+Overdrive coloumn change manual, same as Skyline GTA's. The normal trans tunnel was cut (rather roughly) and a steel box made to cover the remote shift control that bolted straight on top of the gearbox. As the made up box was the same height as the front bench seat cushion, there were limited positions to move the seat back and forward, 3 instead of 6. They also had the coloum change gearshift hole blanked off, although the gear was still in the steering coloumn when you looked under the bonnet. I dont know how many were done but I have only seen one other.

would anyone like to scan/share some of these catalogues/docos with moi?

I have some GC210 GTR brochures, in japanese tho

Of course Funky...be glad to! It's just a matter of me getting the time to sit here and get on with the scanning and posting. I will do it!...I promise. I think this thread is the perfect place to place them.

A C210 GTR?...you've got my interest! Don't worry 'bout them being in Japanese, the pics still translate OK.

It's funny how a lot of Japanese printed (and internet) matter is a combination of english, and Japanes script. It's like it's a deliberate tease for us poor gaijin (gaijun?)

Anyway, stay tuned Funky, it'll all be here eventually!

Cheers :(

Jim.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I know the horse has probably bolted but I though I'd add some info on the NSV/SVD (whichever you prefer) Tasmanian police cars.

I believe they had series 1 GTS's , the silhouette based model, however I think they were just standard GTS's, numbered etc - however I am not 100% sure this is correct or how many (probably 4-7 units).

However, I do know for certain there was a limited build of 7 cars in full series 2 GTS spec for Tasmania police, and I've had a chance to look over a couple of them. These were effectively the same as the red GTS's, however all are/were painted white with blue detailing on the embossed GTS logos. They have the full GTS body kit, wheels, suspension interior and so on, however the scheel seats are not embroidered as in the red "civilian" GTS model, and they are additional to the 200 red GTS versions, with no numbering.

I haven't looked at the computer in one, however there is a lot of non-contradictory information floating around which suggests there was a different chip and interceptor for the Tas police cars manufactured by Neltronics, and some people have suggested they may have had a different cam, though there is no evidence for that (where there was definitely a "police" chip or interceptor made).

Personally I am not a fan of the GTS2 in red and the all white cars have a far more tasteful appearance.

I have seen 3 examples in the flesh, and heard of 2 on the mainland. Given that there were seven produced (apparently), this supports my theory that the two lower spec R31's I have seen down here ( a series 2 wagon and a series 3 silhouette) which have been fitted with GTS2 parts may have been built from parts of two of the police cars.

Additionally, I have heard that Victorian fire departments had a few GTS specced GXE models, apparently to full GTS mechanical spec, but with a standard GXE exhaust, 15x6" steel wheels (As seen as spares in the silhouette, GTS and Ti models), and regular GXE interior. I think they may have been red over grey.

Cazz or someone will probably come in and correct my mistakes, but thats basically correct to the best of my knowlege.

Oh and series 1 GTS's (white) were silhouette based, series 2 (red) were GXE based. Only the series 2 GTS was available in an automatic.

• 4 weeks later...
GTS's were badged as Silhouettes but the GTS2's started as Executives not Silo's (I think... might have been GXE)

GTS 2's were based on GXE's not executives

Vic police and Fire Brigade had Nissan Special Vehicles Skyline GX's with full GTS 2 running gear including bilsteins and extractors, but standard exhaust from the cat back. Anyone want any info on the Nissan Special Vehicles, PM me, I am happy to help. Tasmanian Polica GTS's were full GTS 2 spec, just no GTS badging, full body kit the lot.

• 3 months later...
Not that it particularly matters, but if you took parts off a C210 with compliance plate stamped year 82, it would in fact be an Aussie C211, BUT! to my knowledge, No Skylines were made in Australia with the exception of that BRICK they called an R31 4 dr sedan & wagon. C110, C210/211, M/H/DR30 all made in Japan, and either shipped here in parts for assembly, or whole, but I think if my memory serves me correctly, all Skylines were fully imported. Some 240K's were assembled here, 4 dr sedans etc, but coupes were imported, same as 180B SSS.

And, I have a friend that owns a VL Dunnydore, complied 3/89, but it certainly wasn't made after 86, as VN's were released in 88.

I might be wrong, but i was under the impresion that my MR30 was built in australia under licence, it has the crappy tail lights, the imported cars came with stove tops, same as the R31?? Don't know though

• 2 weeks later...

Heres some info on the engine taken from www.r31skylineclub.com

6 Cylinder overhead cam

Bore 86mm

Stroke 85.0mm

Capacity 2962 cc

Compression ratio 9.0:1

Overall Length 4,653mm

Overall Width 1,690mm

Overall Height 1,395mm

Wheelbase 2,610mm

Spark Plugs

Type BCP 6ES-11

Hot type BCP 5ES-11

Cold type BCP 7ES-11

Spark Plug Gap 1.0-1.1mm

Firing Order 1-5-3-6-2-4

Distributor

Make Bosch

Rotation of rotor Anticlockwise

Engine Idle speed 700 ± 50 RPM

Ignition timing 15° ± 2°bdtc at 700 ± 50 RPM

Compression Pressure

Standard 1196k

Minimum 883kPa

Thermostat

Type wax pellet

Opening temperature 76.5 deg

Ignition coil

Primary resistance 0.9-1.0 ohm

Secondary resistance 9000-10000 ohms

High pressure fuel pump

Type electric roller

Fuel pressure at idle 206kPa

Fuel pressure at zero vacuum 255 kPa

you might want to check out

http://darkhalf.r31skylineclub.com/

4 more info

nissan didn't actually think of putting a turbo on the rb30e i thought

i know that holden had a new car - the vl

and they had there old tired engine (the red six i think)

they knew that nissan had developed a new six cyl (the rb30e)

and so they went into partnership, nissan sold holden there engine as long as it was still recognised as the rb30e from nissan, but holden could do with it what they wanted

holden went into testing mode with the rb30e and after testing, they realised that by beefing up the drivetrain, gearbox and diff, that they could wack a garret t3 turbo on and boost power

therefore they developed the rb30et, a nissan engine, modded by holden (that sounds really wacky!)

the vl's came out as late as 89, even though the vn's were out around 88

the vl's came out with a 5litre v8 and a little later on ( a couple months later) the came out with the vl with the rb30e and the rb30et, and holden stopped making the 5 litre v8 model towards the end of the vl's production (but continued on with the rb30e and rb30et)