SAU Community

Aussie Skyline History

Duncan

The only Skyline to ever be 100% built in australia was the R31. (Yes I know it used imported driveline and other bits, but it was put together here from good aussie steel and workmanship) Funny how the only local component of the driveline (the diff) is the only achilles heel in these cars.

There were some R30's built here from CKD packs, and someone may be able to correct me here, I am sure that some C110's and C210's were built from CKD (Completely knocked down) packs as well, but the only truly production line built skyline, built in australia was the R31.

Nissan Special Vehicles disbanded in 1991, and the last GTS silhouette rolled out in 1990. The last skyline was produced in 1991. There were 20 SVD police skylines in melbourne, 7 fire skylines (all had full GTS running gear, but no body kit, standard cat back exhaust and 15" interceptor wheels with hub caps), and tassie had both police and fire cars, but they were full spec GTS's. Both series 1 and 2.

My Dad bought a 240K in 1972. I thought it was the best thing I had ever seen. Must have been where I got my skyline fetish from.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff Cazz! Concise details on the Australian built cars is welcomed.

My Dad bought a 240K in 1972. I thought it was the best thing I had ever seen. Must have been where I got my skyline fetish from.
Fetish?..really! Well then...

"Hello little girl....want a lollie?,..hmmm . Want to take a ride in a nice mans car?..hmmm? he..he .. he..." :sly: :)

Any memorabilia form the 240K days? :innocent:

Jim.

Great stuff Cazz! Concise details on the Australian built cars is welcomed.

Fetish?..really! Well then...

"Hello little girl....want a lollie?,..hmmm . Want to take a ride in a nice mans car?..hmmm? he..he .. he..." :sly:  :D

Any memorabilia form the 240K days? :innocent:  

Jim.

Hiya Jim, ROFL at hello little girl. I actually met you at beechworth last year as well. I had the R31 red GTS 2, (the modern skyline as the Prinz boys kept calling it). So tehr ya go, small world hey.

Yep, I remember Beechworth well Cazz!

....yair, on that weekend yours was the youngest Skyline....and a standout car. It is the reference for an Australian built R31 Skyline. In itself a piece of Australian Skyline history.

I guess to a PRINCE owner it will always be "modern", but just to turn that idea on it's head....last weekend, the SAU show on the NSW central coast. A gathering of what was arguably the best Skylines in the state. Amongst all the R34s, R33s, R32s,showing there age were a select few R30's and R31's ...quality cars all! I entered my '72 GT, on of two on the day. In this fine company they become "Old Skool" :whatsthat (I'll never get used to that saying :blah: )..but that's just how it is...Geez I think they were the only cars with carbies!!

Hey, just to get this thread back on track, I'd like to use the mention of your Dad's 240K..(a Skyline by another name) to try and get some more people to tell us about there own knowledge/ memories of this second series of Skyline to be sold to Australia.

Introduced in 1973,Nissan/Datsun Australia sold all they could get out of Japan. It was a very popular car through to 1977, where sales slowed. But 30 odd years has taken it's toll and sightings these days are few and far between, so if you have a story or info to share, please let us know here at the "History of Skylines in Australia"

I've added a few pics to jog the memories of those who may not remember what they looked like!

Regards,

Jim.

I thought the 240K was introduced to Aus in 1973 - but you say cazz your dad bought one in 1972. Can you confirm this? The C110 model started production in late 1972 but I thought it wasn't until 1973 that the hardtop "240K" was shipped over to Aus. Later in June 1974 the 4 door sedan was introduced.

I'd like to talk about the interesting badging of the car, and how it was quickly changed from a 240K GT to a 240K GL. Early pictures for promotion show the car with NO "240K", "GT" or "GL" badges at all - just Datsun (notice the first picture Jim posted). I assume this was because they didn't have the badges at the time of photoshoot. From what I can gather the car was initially sold here as a GT, but only for a couple of months maybe. Then it swapped to GL, to try to attract lower insurance premiums. The car was exactly the same, except I've heard that the manifold was slightly different?? I think the rear quarter "Datsun" script badge changed at the same time as the change from GT to GL, too.

Cazz, do you remember if your dad's was a "GT" or a "GL"?

I thought the 240K was introduced to Aus in 1973 - but you say cazz your dad bought one in 1972. Can you confirm this? The C110 model started production in late 1972 but I thought it wasn't until 1973 that the hardtop "240K" was shipped over to Aus. Later in June 1974 the 4 door sedan was introduced.

I'd like to talk about the interesting badging of the car, and how it was quickly changed from a 240K GT to a 240K GL. Early pictures for promotion show the car with NO "240K",  "GT" or "GL" badges at all - just Datsun (notice the first picture Jim posted). I assume this was because they didn't have the badges at the time of photoshoot. From what I can gather the car was initially sold here as a GT, but only for a couple of months maybe. Then it swapped to GL, to try to attract lower insurance premiums. The car was exactly the same, except I've heard that the manifold was slightly different?? I think the rear quarter "Datsun" script badge changed at the same time as the change from GT to GL, too.  

Dads was bought in 73 I am sorry, my mistake. September 73 to be precise. His was a 240K GL coupe, and was metallic blue, with 14x6 5 slot alloy wheels. w00t. I loved this car like there was no tomorrow, it was such a joy riding round in the car when the cars of the day were hq holdens and xb fords. The fact that it had IRS and a gaggle of other gimicky interior items (even carpet and a fan forced heater as standard) made it extra special in its day. The 240K left em all for dead in both performance and equipment levels. It was involved in a very scary accident in the adelaide hills after the brake fluid boiled, and the car spun a heap of times and frightened the crap out of me. The paint on the car faded to nothing as well, but it didn't put me of my nissans. I have seen several 240K GT badged 240 K's. Becaue I loved them so much, I have tended to look out for them over the years, and I do recall even as early as 1973 seeing some GT badged cars.

My dad kept the car for six years when he traded it in on (of all things) a second hand HZ Holden. Go Figure.

• 2 months later...

I'd like to talk about the interesting badging of the car, and how it was quickly changed from a 240K GT to a 240K GL. Early pictures for promotion show the car with NO "240K",  "GT" or "GL" badges at all - just Datsun (notice the first picture Jim posted). I assume this was because they didn't have the badges at the time of photoshoot. From what I can gather the car was initially sold here as a GT, but only for a couple of months maybe. Then it swapped to GL, to try to attract lower insurance premiums. The car was exactly the same, except I've heard that the manifold was slightly different?? I think the rear quarter "Datsun" script badge changed at the same time as the change from GT to GL, too.  

Dads was bought in 73 I am sorry, my mistake. September 73 to be precise. His was a 240K GL coupe, and was metallic blue, with 14x6 5 slot alloy wheels. w00t. I loved this car like there was no tomorrow, it was such a joy riding round in the car when the cars of the day were hq holdens and xb fords. The fact that it had IRS and a gaggle of other gimicky interior items (even carpet and a fan forced heater as standard) made it extra special in its day. The 240K left em all for dead in both performance and equipment levels. It was involved in a very scary accident in the adelaide hills after the brake fluid boiled, and the car spun a heap of times and frightened the crap out of me. The paint on the car faded to nothing as well, but it didn't put me of my nissans. I have seen several 240K GT badged 240 K's. Becaue I loved them so much, I have tended to look out for them over the years, and I do recall even as early as 1973 seeing some GT badged cars.

My dad kept the car for six years when he traded it in on (of all things) a second hand HZ Holden. Go Figure.

My c110 "240K" Hardtop coupe was first regd in 1971, i thought that was about wen they first started getting brought in? it even has the 4spd box in it

• 1 month later...

My c110 "240K" Hardtop coupe was first regd in 1971, i thought that was about wen they first started getting brought in? it even has the 4spd box in it

A c110 is not a 240K. I could be wrong, but I was pretty sure the C110, and C210 were released after the 240K, and these were the cars that came here as skylines, the first Datsun Skyline in Australia, (The first real one was of course the prince, under the Nissan banner, not Datsun). You May be thinking of the KGC10 or C10, which came out before the 240K, and was not available through Nissan dealers (sorry Datsun) in this country. That was the model before the 240K. The 240K hardtop I was pretty sure was not released in Australia until 1973. Maybe one of our historians can verify this.

A c110 is not a 240K. I could be wrong, but I was pretty sure the C110, and C210 were released after the 240K, and these were the cars that came here as skylines, the first Datsun Skyline in Australia, (The first real one was of course the prince, under the Nissan banner, not Datsun). You May be thinking of the KGC10 or C10, which came out before the 240K, and was not available through Nissan dealers (sorry Datsun) in this country.  That was the model before the 240K. The 240K hardtop I was pretty sure was not released in Australia until 1973.  Maybe one of our historians can verify this.

Hmm... yes the 240K was absolutely not released in Aus until 1973 as I said earlier. I figured it was more likely to be a hazey memory than a C10 so left the statement alone! Anyway, the 240K was a C110 - they never sold here as Skylines. The C210 was of course badged as a Datsun Skyline.

Edited by Alfadog

Hmm... yes the 240K was absolutely not released in Aus until 1973 as I said earlier. I figured it was more likely to be a hazey memory than a C10 so left the statement alone! Anyway, the 240K was a C110 - they never sold here as Skylines. The C210 was of course badged as a Datsun Skyline.

Thanks for sorting that one out for us. I have very recently seen a 1972 KGC10 GT. Apparantly the first Datsun Skyline to wear the GT Badge. (Once again, this is heresay, so I could be wrong), but that is an awesome car. Went for a very fast ride at the Beechworth Prince 40th Anniversary in this car with Ron Libbis. If this car was a 1972 plated car, I doubt it is possible for a C110 to have a 71 build date. Once again, I could be wrong, and maybe they ran the models side by side like they did with the R31 and 32 in Japan for a little while. But I was pretty sure the 240K as we know it here, was not released in japan as early as 1971. Can anyone verify this?

I have lots of official paperwork to say that it was released in Japan late 1972. September from memory..

FUN FACT: The first "240K" was not the C110 - the C10 was actually shipped to Northern Europe as a 240K - in LHD.

You're a lucky guy! I still haven't seen a C10 in the flesh...

I have lots of official paperwork to say that it was released in Japan late 1972. September from memory..

FUN FACT: The first "240K" was not the C110 - the C10 was actually shipped to Northern Europe as a 240K - in LHD.

Hi guys!

.......Are you thinking of the 2400GT Alfa?

Hi guys!

.......Are you thinking of the 2400GT Alfa? Her's some pics anyway. You are correct about the C110 release. First sales were in Japan Sept. of 1972. The last of the C10's (Model:GC10-IV. A 4 door L20 6 with the lot) went on sale in Japan March of 1972.

Cazz, a Skyline is a Skyline! The Nissan or Datsun badging was for market recognition, so the first GT was the PMC Prince Skyline GT.

More later! gotta go :(

post-11983-1132892634.jpg

post-11983-1132892681.jpg

Hi guys!

.......Are you thinking of the 2400GT Alfa? Her's some pics anyway. You are correct about the C110 release. First sales were in Japan Sept. of 1972. The last of the C10's (Model:GC10-IV. A 4 door L20 6 with the lot) went on sale in Japan March of 1972.

Cazz, a Skyline is a Skyline! The Nissan or Datsun badging was for  market recognition, so the first GT was the PMC Prince Skyline GT.

More later! gotta go ;)

The car in the pics has the same front as the 2 door GT that I went for a drive in. Unreal car, the noise was breath taking.

Yes 72GT, a skyline is a skyline, and all japanese skylines are still made in the prince factory, does this make them all PMC's. Food for thought. I am fully aware that the 1964 prince GT was the first GT, but it wore a nissan badge as well as a prince badge. I was not referring to nissan/datsun being different brand names or anything like that, just pointing out the different marketing names. In 1985 nobody thought the nissan name would take off, so for 18 months, all nissan cars sold here had datsun badges on them as well.

Thats what I like about the ozzie R31, it is unique in this world of imported skylines. For its faults (diffs etc.) and characteristics, its a very different car.

OK! After a bit of review and research, I've got things a little clearer in my mind. initially I was having doubts about a "C10" 2000 GT ever being made!. So much info about the PGC10, the first GT-R, and so little regarding the "G"C10. It would appear that when speaking of this series of Skyline, (3rd Skyline) the C10 is the 4 cylinder sedan, the GC10 is the 6 cylinder sedan (all badged "GT" with the white and blue badge first seen on the single carbied Prince Skyline GT-AII), and the PGC10, or the first Skyline GT-R powered by the twin cam 2litre 6 S20. Put a "K" in it and you've got the two door variant.

Hear's a few pics.

The first is a scan of the front guard badges from the Prince GT-B (red) and the Prince GT-A (blue). The second is from a 1968 GC10 Skyline 2000 GT. The third is from a 1971-2 GC10 Skyline 2000 GT. The fourth is from the 1973 KGC110 Skyline 2000 GT.

Should do a proper thread on the different badges and embems for Skylines.............mmmaybe later! :angry:

Jim.

Hi ya Carolyn!

and all japanese skylines are still made in the prince factory, does this make them all PMC's. Food for thought.

I like to think so!! :angry:...and the KGC10 from Beechworth now lives with me! ;)

post-11983-1132973533.jpg

post-11983-1132973609.jpg

post-11983-1132973702.jpg

post-11983-1132973797.jpg

post-11983-1132975813.jpg

Edited by 72GT

Speaking of badges my old c210 had a skyline insignia underneath the datsun badge on the back.Though it left three holes when it was removed,I just filled them with plastic filler and touched it up with a dab of chrome paint.

Speaking of badges my old c210 had a skyline insignia underneath the datsun badge on the back.Though it left three holes when it was removed,I just filled them with plastic filler and touched it up with a dab of chrome paint.

Yes, Jason told me about this when I met him recently! All of his C210's have had "Skyline" underneath the "Datsun" badge on the back. It seems all Nissan did was whack on a Datsun badge ON TOP of the "Skyline"!! I love it!

Still looking for some red "GT" badges for my C110.

And yes Jim I must have been thinking of the 2400GT, I swear I saw a C10 badged as 240K though... hmm, bad memory starting already?

Edited by Alfadog

• 4 months later...

First time i saw a prince skyline GT, was at an Orran Park or Amaroonight meet in about 64 or 65. OMG it was the most beautiful car I had ever seen.Most beautifulcar I have NEVER owned. Nearly got one in about 75 but it had too much rust. It was at Ted Lees on Parramatta Rd. Saw them in the press on and off. Finally got my MR30 TI Hatch in july 84. I still have her.

600K. Had the odd oil change. Mine was i think one of the first Nissan badged 30s. It came std with 15" alloys, OD and a lockup torque converter. Had a .686 od and an R180 diff. Its CD value was very low, about the same as a Porche. It was not quick but very fast. Nissans are great. Stageas the greatest.

• 2 weeks later...
Thats what I like about the ozzie R31, it is unique in this world of imported skylines. For its faults (diffs etc.) and characteristics, its a very different car.

Cazz,

Why was there ever an Aussie built Skyline?