SAU Community

Aussie Skyline History

Duncan

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Some more history nobodys mentioned so far.

In 1974's Hardie-Ferodo 1000 at Bathurst, A 240K was raced by Stewart McLeod and Doug Whiteford. It came second in its class (class C, class winner was an RX3) and 7th outright.

Unfortunate that Nissan didn't have the smarts to quietly ship / sell enough cars with appropriate upgrades.

The McLeod/Whiteford car was a bog stock GL, basic L24 intake manifold, tiny exhaust, sedan/hardtop springs & dampers, 250mm front discs etc.

The GT intake manifold might have only been good for a small power increase but that would have been enough for a few tenths a lap.

Ditto the brakes, the 270mm discs were available but not fitted to the Australian market car so couldn't be used. How much gain? Hard to quantify but probably in the order of a second a lap or so.

Suspension from the GT would have reduced the awesome body roll across Skyline and through the Dipper which had to be worth a few tenths!

All up enough to have kept the Mazda RX3 behind.

You really had to see the thing running to appreciate how bad it was and just how good McLeod & Whiteford were to keep the shiny side up.

Then Mazdas wouldn't have led the class and the whole history of Nissan in Oz would have been different.

But then again, the current Nissan 350z 'supercar' is a big yawn and the scant info leaking on the next Skyline indicates it will be an even bigger yawn, if not a technicolor yodel.

Unfortunate that Nissan didn't have the smarts to quietly ship / sell enough cars with appropriate upgrades.

The McLeod/Whiteford car was a bog stock GL, basic L24 intake manifold, tiny exhaust, sedan/hardtop springs & dampers, 250mm front discs etc.

The GT intake manifold might have only been good for a small power increase but that would have been enough for a few tenths a lap.

Ditto the brakes, the 270mm discs were available but not fitted to the Australian market car so couldn't be used. How much gain? Hard to quantify but probably in the order of a second a lap or so.

Suspension from the GT would have reduced the awesome body roll across Skyline and through the Dipper which had to be worth a few tenths!

All up enough to have kept the Mazda RX3 behind.

You really had to see the thing running to appreciate how bad it was and just how good McLeod & Whiteford were to keep the shiny side up.

Then Mazdas wouldn't have led the class and the whole history of Nissan in Oz would have been different.

But then again, the current Nissan 350z 'supercar' is a big yawn and the scant info leaking on the next Skyline indicates it will be an even bigger yawn, if not a technicolor yodel.

I thought the Australian 240K GL hardtop was a GT spec, but badged as a GL because of the GT paranoia that was going on at the time, caused by holden and fords plans for high powered street cars (XU-2 and Phase 4 GTHO). In the Parts manual the badges are shown as GT badges for the home marker, but there are GL badges marked as "for Australia" on the same page for the same model. Also I have reviews from magazine articles at the time that state the Aussie 240K GL is actually a GT model.

I'd be interested in knowing what the differences are between a JDM GT and and Aussie GL are apart from what you have already mentioned

What's the GT intake manifiold look like? I just picked up a 240K hardtop, but it has interior GT badges instead of GL. All external badges are missing.

WTF are a csp311 (Fairlady?) and an S30 ? I've looked in Wiki but it is a bit sketchy.

Eveybody else was posting chassis codes, so i did too.

CSP311 is the chassis code for the 1st generation Silvia (1965 to 1967).

Mines been modified a bit, some time before I got it.

IMG_0002Small.jpg

S30 is a 240Z.

• 2 weeks later...

I know you have already seen these on another forum but attached here so other people could see the difference too.

Love that little CSP311 Sylvia! I last had anything to do with one of these when I owned a late '66 way back in '68.

post-30643-1160545272.jpg

post-30643-1160545295.jpg

• 4 months later...
i don't know if this will help as the r30 was produced in OZ as well as imported in small numbers?

the MR30 was the australian version, HR and DR were the japanese made sports versions produced in both 2 and 4 door examples, 81/82 the HR was built as an entry level sports car basic turbo inline sohc 6 cylinder producing around the 150-160bhp with a weight of around the 1150kg mark for the 2 door and only slightly more weighty in the 4 door, this car was raced both in japan, the USA and here in australia with "gibson motor sport" being the main surrporter of the skyline here in OZ, in the US Paul Newman took a liking to the car and raced it with much success there, this in turn lead to Nissan japan producing a limited # of "Paul Newman" HR30 skylines both in the 2 and very rear 4 door versions, still running the inline 6 but it produced around 170-180bhp. i don't know what year production of the HR stopped as in 1982 Nissan began production of the DR30....

the first of the DR range i believe was a N/A fj20de powered car about 160bhp, the car itself had quite a few differences to the HR, it had all the "mod cons" radio, a/c, power windows and central locking which in turn made the DR about 100kg heavier than the HR, this trend seemed to follow in the next versions of the DR as well. the RS DR30 was a step up from the N/A version as it was powered by the fj20det at around 180-190bhp not to many changes other than the turbo and a brake upgrade though, some may have had a factor sun roof? then in 83/84 Nissan went that extra step forward and revamped the DR30 skyline into something that will turn heads even today.. the RS-X DR30, for starters the intercooled fj20det produced 205bhp and was the most powerful production car produced by Nissan, the look of the car was changed to a more aggressive looking no grill smaller headlights sharper front profile, "tekemon" or "iron mask" was what it was refered to by locals. all of these models have made there way over to australia at some point and are still being shipped today...

they were the beginning of what is now refered to as the "wedge shape" skyline, 6th generation skyline.....

sorry for the hi-jack

i always thought the "iron mask" was translated from Hakosuka

sorry for the hi-jack

i always thought the "iron mask" was translated from Hakosuka

Iron Mask (Tekamen) was the nickname the Japs gave to the facelifted DR30 front end, it has nothing to do with Hakosuka at all (which means "box skyline").

this is by far the best explanation of the phenomenon I've found, from an old issue of J's Tipo magazine on Kev's DR30 site (which has since disappeared):

In August 1983 the styling of the RS and RS-Turbo models were facelifted to further differentiate the super sports models from the other GT and TI Skylines in the range. The grille was deleted, and the bonnet now sloped down almost to the front bumper. The headlights were slimmer, and the engine breathed through two narrow slits. The overall appearance of the new RS models caused enthusiasts to nickname the new RS Iron Mask (or "Tekamen"), for its distinctive visage.
also a bit of DR30 history, probably already covered, and definitely not relevant...

Oct 1981: First DR30s released, 2000RS with FJ20E engine. Standard interior is stripped out with no mod-cons

Feb 1983: 2000RS Turbo with FJ20ET released. 2000RS N/A continues as per normal. Spartan interiors still standard equipment

Aug 1983: Facelift of R30 range. 2000RS Turbo becomes RS-X Turbo, 2000RS becomes (simply) RS. Interiors are now full luxury spec as standard

Feb 1984: FJ20ET intercooled version released. RS-X Turbo becomes RS-X Turbo C as a result

• 2 years later...
There were 2 series of the GTS. Series 1 (all white with the rectangular tail lights) had 130kW, and Series 2 (all red with the round tail lights and white wheels) had 140kW. They rode on lowered Bilstein suspension, had the turbo front brakes, LSD, different cam, extractors, piggy back computer (maybe the first factory piggyback computer)

The Tasmanian police force had a few of them without any bodylit, but I believe they were otherwise the same spec.

All GTS's were Silouhettes, but not all Silouhettes were GTS's

I owned a GTSII for 7 years, and it was a beautiful car. Just the right amount of performance, comfort and style (and practicality).

I understand Nissan (or NSVD) also built one turbo one, to be the official pacecar at the Adelaide GP in 1989 or 1990. This car was for sale recently - I'd love to get my hands on it.

Hi, I owned this car for many years. Nissan NSVD TURBO Pace Car.

• 4 months later...

Nice grab paul

the R31 Skyline was in fact built in Clayton/Westall were HSV makes their cars now. The RB30E was a reworked Z car motor with ECCS.

Import R31s are hard to come by these days even harder is the GTSR which was a Group A racer with log xorst manfold for the turbo, bigger cooler, and called the RB20DETR only 800 were built so finding 1 is not hard but gettin it off the owner is another problem.

Another R31 is the Passage GT pretty cool looking sedan without B pillars and the GTS, GTSX coupes compleated the line up and with a range of options like autospoiler which comes down at 80kms, rain sencing windsheld wipers and a slew of other options.

RB20E, RB20S, RB20DE, RB20DET, RB20DETR and RB24E

• 5 months later...
I thought the 240K was introduced to Aus in 1973 - but you say cazz your dad bought one in 1972. Can you confirm this? The C110 model started production in late 1972 but I thought it wasn't until 1973 that the hardtop "240K" was shipped over to Aus. Later in June 1974 the 4 door sedan was introduced.

I'd like to talk about the interesting badging of the car, and how it was quickly changed from a 240K GT to a 240K GL. Early pictures for promotion show the car with NO "240K", "GT" or "GL" badges at all - just Datsun (notice the first picture Jim posted). I assume this was because they didn't have the badges at the time of photoshoot. From what I can gather the car was initially sold here as a GT, but only for a couple of months maybe. Then it swapped to GL, to try to attract lower insurance premiums. The car was exactly the same, except I've heard that the manifold was slightly different?? I think the rear quarter "Datsun" script badge changed at the same time as the change from GT to GL, too.

Cazz, do you remember if your dad's was a "GT" or a "GL"?

I have two 1974 240K 2-doors, both are plated as 240K GL, but one of them has 240K GT door trims and different tail lights (same as Jap spec)

I have two 1974 240K 2-doors, both are plated as 240K GL, but one of them has 240K GT door trims and different tail lights (same as Jap spec)

Got any pics Ben? i have been looking for a coupe for a while and have had no such luck and you have two, luck man.

• 7 months later...
1982 is where the r30 began....you would have to ask the guys in the r30 thread about that one.

have a look in my gallery...its chockers of c210/c211 pix

EDIT: Also check out my thread "c210/c211 skylines" for full history of this model

hi there i notice you sold all c210 skyline to saudi arabia is that a hard process

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

My name is Jorge, I live in portugal and I'am the proud owner of a 1972 Nissan Skyline C-10 2400Gt !

The car was discovered about 2 years ago in Funchal ( Madeira Island ), inside a garage stopped for almost 18 years....

The car was a service car, from the local 70's Nissan Representative there, and was only used in very few ocasions and then left to rest in the garage...It only has about 7.500 km's on the odometer, when it was discovered the car only had about 6.500 km's marked !

I also have more Japonese Classic Cars, like a Datsun 510 1600SSS from 1971 and a Toyota 2000 GSL Sedan, also from 1971, both in top condition.

You can find photos from my car and many more info about it and early Skyline models in Europe and else were, by following this treat at :

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthr...;highlight=c-10

Regards from Portugal

Jorge

Edited by 2400GT

• 7 months later...

Every now and then i think it would have been better to save and get an R33...

but then i read this and it makes me smile. haha.

and why are VNs being mentioned!?! i know this is an old thread but u can buy 5 of them for $400 and make one roadworthy car. but it will still be a VN

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

ok iv got a nissan,p230/datsun 240c hardtop,1971,i think where it says modle it has a K stamped,am i to understand correctly that what makes a nissan skyline is the offical taging or gt which became gl badging or is there a little more to it,this car has 4 on the floor and runs a L24 hitachi carb,can anyone tell me more about this car and if it fits into the skyline group. :rolleyes:

I'm a little confused, but I think you are asking three separate questions, which I'll address in turn.

If I read this correctly the VIN stamped on the firewall of your car features the letter K. This has nothing to do with the 'family' of the car. From memory (I don't have my owners manual in front of me), for the Cedric range the 'K' denotes hardtop, which is what you have. There was a model of Skyline from 72-77, the C110, which was sold in Aust as the Datsun 240K. Maybe this is where the confusion lies, but they are totally separate cars.

To the best of my knowledge none of the Cedric family were ever badged as GT cars. Moreover, many Skylines were not badged as GT models either. Australian model Skylines in the 70's were badged as GL, while the same car in Japan was badged as GT. There are many theories about why, but in short these two letters don't denote whether you have a Skyline or not.

Finally, you have a car belonging to the Cedric family. Although they ran the virtually same L24 and what I believe to be an interchangeable transmission with the Skyline/Datsun 240z, the differences in the body, interior, suspension, and differential make it quite a different car to drive.

They are extremely cool, but a currently a bit of an unloved classic in Australia.