SAU Community

Stagea Suspension

Sydneykid

I'm not sure if anyone else has seen this, but Greenline have a list of 4 different suspension setups designed for Stagea. Here's the page, they start from AU$2000 down to AU$900. check it out guys if you haven't already. looks like i'll be giving these guys a call in the near future.

http://www.greenline.jp/catalogue/bccatpar...gory=suspension

Spoke to Heasmans, very helpful dudes

It seems that there are "genuine" Bilsteins for the Stagea, that Bilstein put in their catalog

ie

Front B46-2590

Rear B46-2589

but these are harder to get, and are a bit softer

the others that fit, are bit firmer and easily in stock are

R33 GTR front (B46-2107)

GTST Rears (B46-1916)

Hope this helps people

PS I spoke to Travers Wood at Bilstein Racing, free plug, good guy

Wow Michael - I reckon that info is the best Stagea info on the forums yet! SK let us in on grooving the bilsteins to lower ride height using stock springs - but when i checked with my insurance company they said self-machined grooves would void any claim where the car was in motion as suspension is considered a critical component and any non-manufactured shock absorber changes would void a claim instantly (like bald tyres). BUT if they are done by Bilstein themselves then this would get around that problem! THANKS

:P

Wow Michael - I reckon that info is the best Stagea info on the forums yet!  SK let us in on grooving the bilsteins to lower ride height using stock springs - but when i checked with my insurance company they said self-machined grooves would void any claim where the car was in motion as suspension is considered a critical component and any non-manufactured shock absorber changes would void a claim instantly (like bald tyres).  BUT if they are done by Bilstein themselves then this would get around that problem!  THANKS

Your kidding right? How the hell would an insurance assessor be able to tell who machined the grooves? He wouldn't even be able to see them unless pulled the shocks out. And they sure as hell don't do that, they aren't allowed to "work" on the car. You could mount the same argument with the nuts that hold the shocks in, were they done up by Bilstein? Then there is the wheel nut argument? Circlips, bolts, nuts, screws they are all fasteners, so the same rules apply.

:cheers:

Your kidding right? How the hell would an insurance assessor be able to tell who machined the grooves?

I am with SK on this one, but of course if you lower the car 4 inches and have 5 degrees of negative camber on the rears, dont expect anybody to cover you, it wouldn't matter who did the machining on the shocks.

Like all insurance stuff, full disclosure is the safest (they will use ANY EXCUSE to get out of paying). I would have thought that a mod that is done by a suitably qualified person and still is able to get a RWC is ok.

I shopped around for insurance for a while and got a pretty good deal with Just Cars. NONE of the "normal insurance " companies (AAMI, RACV etc...) would touch a grey import anyway. So just talk to them. There is no doubt that ANY MODs will give a increase in premium, but as long as they are legal and if needed engineered, it should be ok. Thats just life with modded cars and "esoterica".

cheers

Hmmm - maybe this guy was having me on - but he seemed pretty sure - like hed had the query before - talked alot about how 'doing it yourself' you may compromise the shock by grooving too deep etc. He said there were only a few critical insurance voiders in motion crashes - including non-legal tyre wear etc - and also shock absorbers - one of those things in your insurance 'full' contract - all that fine print you sign off on where it says stuff like "I declare that the vehicle has roadworthy tyres and dadada and understand that not having roadworthy tyres or parts used other than as the manufacturer intended dadada will void any associated claim for ...." Of course he said if you rear end someone and have $2000 of front bumper work no assessor is going to check your shocks and ask about your circlip grooves! lol BUT he said if you happened to wipe out another car and a family then they'll be going over the wreck with a fine-tooth comb to find blame... so yeah when they find modified shock absorbers that is against the conditions of insurance (that bloody fine print long 20 page booklet) and your signed declaration was misleading therefore voiding your policy. However if you can prove they were manufacturer intended modifications (ie they did it and you can prove it eg receipt) to the shocks then you are ok.

Anyway - could all be some guys version of having fun at work and making life hard for me - but i WILL dig out the insurance terms and conditions booklet and go over the fine print... not that itll matter now that Bilstein machine the circlip grooves themselves. Eitehr way - id love to prove the guy wrong - but to save any doubts it great to know Bilstein do it anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Another suspension option with specific fitment for Stageas has been added to the Nengun site... ZEAL coilovers... dont know much about them - in fact never heard of them... but another option none-the-less for anyone with with a spare $2200 :)

http://www.nengun.com/catalogue/product/384

It states the spring rate - but I have no clue about interpreting spring rates... maybe SK can put it into laymans terms as to what sort of ride thats likely to give??

:(

Oh yeah - and they're yellow - will match my Stag woohoo lol

Another suspension option with specific fitment for Stageas has been added to the Nengun site... ZEAL coilovers... dont know much about them - in fact never heard of them... but another option none-the-less for anyone with with a spare $2200 :)

http://www.nengun.com/catalogue/product/384

It states the spring rate - but I have no clue about interpreting spring rates... maybe SK can put it into laymans terms as to what sort of ride thats likely to give??

:( 

Oh yeah - and they're yellow - will match my Stag woohoo lol

They state 7/6 which is 7 kg / mm (390 lbs per inch) for the front and 6 kg / mm for the rear (335 lbs per inch). As a comparison, the standard Stagea fronts are 165 lbs per inch, so that's a 137% increase in spring rate. Usually for sporty road use I would be loooking for around 30% increase. I think I'll leave it at that, you can make your own judgement from the numbers:cheers:

OK - so a dam hard ride LOL :D

Hard is not good on Ausie roads. The Teni's in mine are way to hard. I bounce and bang around on every bump, get air bourn on bigger bumps and almost get thrown off the road on mid corner bumps.

I had trouble keeping up with an old Patrol on a narrow windy bumpy road today and felt like I was going to be pinged of the road a few times.

(The Patrol was flying and getting loose on almost every corner)

The first thing I will be doing when I sell my Skyline is putting in a set of Bilstines with GTR front springs and specially wound Whiteline springs for the rear

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I keep forgetting to post it up, the rear spring rate is 170 lbs per inch. As previously posted the front is 165 lbs per inch. Considering the weight carrying capacity of a waggon, that's not surprising.:D

Hey guys, i got my suspension i ordered through nengun today, the TEIN type wagon. only problem was when i opened the box, there were only 3 shock absorbers, the 2 fronts and only 1 rear.

I think this is a funny sort of suspension kit, considering what i paid for it.

as soon as they send me the other shock absorber i'll let you guys know how it fits, for now here's a pic of the 3 i have.

I hope you have a well padded hood liner and don't mind getting air borne over joins in the road. Be careful taking chicks for a drive they will be unconscious after a few bumps from their tits hitting them in the face.