SAU Community

spot the stagea

mcnamg

• 2 weeks later...
LOL, that blue falcon that was behind you was pretty keen too !!  When he pulled up beside me I think he wanted a quick run !

That wing looks good.  Gives it a real sporty look.

J

Thanks mate, that's the effect i was going for. i've got suspension on the way, so she'll be a bit lower soon too.

after i exited i almost got cleaned up by an F150 pickup. he mustn't have seen me when he was merging and i had to zip around him on the shoulder.

Jesus, not good.  I almost got cleaned up yesterday going through a round-a-bout.  Typical person saw me and waited until I was about 5 meters away from them.  Then they pulled out :D

I get that too, I reckon they think a waggon has to slow down for roundabouts. But Stageas don't, even in the rain:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Spotted a silver Stagea near Brookvale oval on Saturday afternoon... Driven by a female.

Was this yours, Christian? Is your car back in one piece? Pics please!

Nick T.

spotted a lovely yellow stag in perth, around 9:30pm tonightnear the ent cent.

nice car ;)

Thatd be me! Thanks for the ups. Was in town with the kids doing mothers day shopping... bloody hoon I am :rofl:

--------------------

Missus saw the other yellow Series 2 (manual) Stag for the first time this week - cpl nights ago on Tonkin Hwy near Guildford Rd... driving other way - thought she was seeing a reflection in a glazing truck or something lol.

no probs :rofl:

i'm looking at selling my line and picking up a stag possibly.

need more room :rofl: girlfriend would happily let me get the autech sitting @ autowholesale, but insurance + loan = too much money, so it'll probably be just the standard one unfortunately :rofl:

hopefully test drive the autech tomorrow though ;)

did you import yours yourself, and can I ask how much you paid?

did you import yours yourself, and can I ask how much you paid?

Nope - from MJR Motorsport in Brisbane (registered RAW for Stageas) - good blokes and heaps cheaper, for better condition cars with lower kms, than autowholesale was even with freight across the country :cheers:

I had a trade-in so price was a bit skewed - but if it were a cash sale probably would've been somewhere around $26,500 or thereabouts.

Thanks for that info, I was waiting for someone to confirm this.  

Just on the subject of high k's.  Check out http://www.autotrader.com.au/ and look under Small, Medium, Family & Prestige, (not 4WD Wagons!).  The highest k's listed is 71,365km.   Now go to http://www.trademe.co.nz/ and do a search for Stagea.  You'll find that only one car has less than 80,000 k's.

Does that mean that we get all the good cars and and the leftover crap gets shipped to New Zealand? :confused:

Cheers

Greetings from EnZed.

Speedo readings: NZ Customs very tough following political 'scandals' Fair Go and all that. Many dealers will 'Guarantee' the reading. Most people understand speedo's may be sus, so it becomes a less important consideration, so there is less advantage in clocking the speedo.

Prices: Just bought a January 98 pearl white Stagea Series 2, 114K, straight as / mint, $NZ10K private. While looking I was offered a 96 with 41K for $9K dealer and it was far from tatty. Kinda makes the Aus ones look 'Ex Pen Sive'.

Just reflects the state of the market here, but it makes me wonder just how much fat the dealers are making given that the quality doesn't appear to much different NZ/Aus. Mind you I understand there are tariffs in the form of compliance rules on Jap imports to protect the local assembly industry (no not poking fun, just how it seems from here)

Cheers

Paul.

Well NZ$10,000 is very cheap. Auction prices for Series 2 Stageas (that's turbo, AWD, Auto, Auction grade 4+) in Japan are between JPY700,000 to JPY1.2mio. An S (ie manual) can go for up to 1.7mio. NZ$10,000 is only JPY770,000. I don't know anything about duty/tax in NZ, but shipping on a RoRo is around NZ$1,200, so there's another JPY100,000 to add on top of that, which gives you a car cost price to import (excluding FOB or taxes,duties on either end) of JPY 800,000 at the very least. That's NZ$11,000. And just to emphasise again, excluding FOB,taxes, duty.

So either your dealers are buying shitboxes and doing them up (respray, bog up the rust) or the NZ$10,000 cars are 2nd/3rd owner cars in NZ - or maybe RWD N/A, autos.

In Australia costs are:

-Japanese auction price ~JPY900,000 at the very least for a decent series 2

-FOB costs, sometimes up to JPY100,000 depending on your contact over there so total of around AU$13,000 for a very cheap Stagea, FOB Japan.

-Shipping of around AU$1000

-Duty 10% on FOB price + freight $1400.-

-GST on FOB price + freight 10$ $1400.-

-all sorts of clearance charges through customs, usually around AU$500.- sometimes more depending on whether you need a tow truck etc. etc.

-compliance, around AU$6000.- (haven't checked on that one for a while!)

-All up around AU$23,300... then add a dealer margin to that, and there you are.

Also, the OZs don't have to wind back clocks (although many do) because the Japs already do it for them. Of the seven cars I've imported only a couple had speedos that hadn't been touched.

yeh im jus round the corner from the cannington caryard thats got a ton of stageas... my folks were thinkin of gettin an awd, but the Outback is 2 expensive, the next best thing would b the Stagea...

• 3 weeks later...