SAU Community

Oil Filter Review - Ryco, Valvoline etc

Cubes

Finally I found some thing based on AUS oil filters.

After having a Ryco oil filter in for 500km's on the new motor I decided to do

a filter change and cut it apart.

I found a damn piece of black sticky/elec tape in there.

Lots of specs of pink flakes (assume its from the pink marker that was used to write on the crank etc) and a few really really really small bits of silver.

The filter looked distorted as if some of the pleats were stuck together while others had a large gap between them..

The pleats in the Motorcraft & Ryco filter elements are too close together which makes it very difficult for the oil to flow through properly to achieve full flow. What tends to take place is that the pleats are pushed apart in some sections giving the filter a "Tunneling" effect (see photo). This means the oil flow is not evenly distributed and the oil can only pass though some of the media (rule of less resistance).

http://www.aus-cartalk.com/auspoc/techstuff.htm

I currently have a PureONE filter installed and will cut that appart to see what it looks like in another 500km's.

Does any one know where in AUS we can find the Mobile 1 Oil Filters?

They seem to be the one to get according to many many sources.

I've checked out the web site bobistheoilguy.com and stumbled upon this pressure drop across oil filters test.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultima...ic;f=6;t=000513

Another link that branches off to study's.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread...ghlight=oil+faq

It appears Amsoil oil is possibly the very best oil one could buy.

Oil filters.. Mobil 1, PureOne are also up there. Amsoil also is a very good filter.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of oil filters; i had a bit of an experience with one a few weeks ago. Needed to do an oil change, so emptied old oil, and removed old oil filter. Popped in a new oil filter, and filled up new oil. Start up the car after the oil change, and i can hear this bubbling/gurgling noise. Not good i thought.....turned the car off. Had a look under the car, oil pissing out from somewhere. Check the sump, its ok. Checked oil filter, and there was oil leaking from the bottom of it. Tightened it up as hard as possible, turned on car again. still pissing out oil. Lost about 3-4 litres just getting the car out the driveway and across the road! since all the oil had pissed out anyways, i thought i gotta get this damn oil filter off. Tried getting it off but it was covered in oil, eventually managed to get it off. The problem was that the oil filter had no rubber gasket thingo on it, so there was no seal between the oil filter and the screw on fitting. Cheap ass ryco filter! Waste of 4 and a bit litres of Motul Turbolight aswell.

lol.. The ryco rubber bits are not secured in very tight.

I had mine fall out once when fitting it.

I'm going to try a cooper from the local Autobarn. I will cut that open and check it out also.

The rubber O-ring in the ryco's fall out fairly easy. :rofl:

3/4 of a turn is what is recommended. I generally put a dab of oil on the o-ring then do it up nice and firm with my left hand which works out 3/4 of a turn.

I don't think you can break the rubber O-ring. But overtightening will cause it to leak or seep.

Ryco is nasty shit. I wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole. Ive had too many whose anti drain back valves just dont bloody work so it takes the engine 5 seconds to rebuild oil pressure during a cold startup. Even some chinese cheapies dont do it...

You cant get Mobil 1 filters here unfortuantely. I have had good luck with Valvoline filters, despite them being 1/2 the price of a Ryco. If you want the highest quality, K&N are great, but at $30 filter, its pretty hardcore!! Probably the best filters are still the OEM one!! The Nissan one is excellent..

They will...

I broke 2 blades cutting through 1 oil filter.

Unsure why I think the father inlaw bought el' cheapo blades on special :)

I've pulled the PureOne Oil filter off.

I'll rip it apart and post some pics. I've got pics of my ryco one as well.

Although not the best pics of the ryco one but they will do. :D

I hate ryco's after losing the rubber seal once - and they don't usually have a plastic cover over threaded end.

Go the nissan or valvoline.

I allways use the valvoline

Not sure.. I know you can get them from the SuperCheap Auto.

We have an autobarn here in Adelaide that stocks all high performance bits turbo's, EBC's etc.. Then there's every other Autobarn that has just the usual bits so it really depends on the Autobarn.

All the other Autobarns I've seen only have the Cooper & Ryco oil filters.

Milend I think it is has the Purulator Premium, PureOne, Coopers, Ryco's and maybe another one I can't remember.