SAU Community

Pod filters illegal or what?!?!

Heard random comments about pod filters being illegal,

Has any actually got defected for having a pod?

Why the duck would they be illegal?

Even heard that you can only have a FMIC if your pod is inclosed in an airbox WTF?!?! I sure this is crap, but any informed advice would be very much appreciated.

Sometimes doing a search gets you lost, I started looking for a thread on this and instead I found the roil oil treatment threads..... damm...... two hous later i'm finally back to asking:

What is the deal with pod filters???????.

Thanks.

Dono bout QLD but an engineer told me he'd engineer my pod without a box.

I said i thought i was under the impression if it ain't in a box it's a fire risk or something.

He said as long as it's cotton it's ok in that regard (so no oiled K&Ns) but he said the cops use some bullshit ADR or EPA reg (can't remember which he said) about noise. Basically the defect is that the pod makes the induction loud. He said realistically it's mostly only applicable to rotory engines.

But still I'll be getting my pod engineered, and if i wasn't i'd be getting a box so there is no chance of a defect because if a cop wants to they will.

Again - not sure bout QLD.

in victoria, epa rules state only 1 intake mod (is the epa a state authority or a federal auth?)

Ie you can't have a FMIC and an unboxed pod filter.

the reason they do this, is because too many intake mods will affect the emmisions control systems. (eg if you add an intercooler the air will be cooler and more dense than the computer thinks it is)

in vic - unboxed pod filters are ok, provided they are unoiled and provided it's an EFI car.

in victoria, epa rules state only 1 intake mod  

Ie  you can't have a FMIC and an unboxed pod filter.

No soup for you!

If the car has a factory fmic, you can intall an aftermarket filter.

Factory fittings aren't modifications.

factory cooler + aftermarket filter = 1 x modification.

in nsw u are only allowed 1 other form of induction modification, if u have an unboxed pod then a fmic is a defect, u can get defected for an unboxed pod, which is $75 and they will most likely make u do an emissions test as well

i have been defected for the pod so thats what the penalty was for me, to resolve it i got a cai box from UAS to hide it, but it also gained me about 6rwkw and now legally im allowed to have my fmic...

hope that helps...ben.

in nsw u are only allowed 1 other form of induction modification, if u have an unboxed pod then a fmic is a defect

er... going back to what I said before, if you have a factory cooler, then it's not an induction modification, it's a part of the standard factory induction system.

An aftermarket filter is a modification.

A factory cooler is not a modification.

:bonk:

ok yes ur right but im talkin about a front mount aftermarket intercooler...not many cars i know of apart from the gtr and evo have standard fmic...

so therefore if u have an aftermarket fmic then thats a defect unless ur pod is enclosed, thats the reason now why im legally allowed to have my FMIC coz i got the pod boxed.

ben...