SAU Community

R33 GTR diff into S14

Nismo32

Hi all

I was think of changing my S14 diff to a non V-spec R33 GTR diff. Similar to S15 i think but with shorter final drive.

Can any1 shed any light on wheather this is a straight swap or there is a lot of custom work need??? Any1 else done this??

What about non V-spec R34 GTR??

Cheers

Well the R33 is a 4.111 which would be good, the R34 has a 3.545 so you probably wouldn't really want to use that. The non-V-Spec diff is pretty tight, only stock diff I have ever heard skipping the tyres when you are parking. Very noice.

In one of the early issues of Speed magazine there is a S14 with an R33 GT-R diff in it and they seemed to think it went in fairly easily.

I saw an S14 in Perth that had a GTR diff fitted. The workshop claimed that it was a straight forward conversion.

I picked up a spare complete rear GTR diff for $800. This seems a pretty typical price.

We put a 32 GTR diff, driveshafts, hubs and brakes on a S14 cause we bought a rear cradle dirt cheap. Don't know how easy it would be without the driveshafts etc as the GTR items are quite chunky compared to the stock S14 items.

We put a 32 GTR diff, driveshafts, hubs and brakes on a S14 cause we bought a rear cradle dirt cheap. Don't know how easy it would be without the driveshafts etc as the GTR items are quite chunky compared to the stock S14 items.

Yes and then you need to use GTR rear suspension.. hassle

Yes and then you need to use GTR rear suspension.. hassle

not at all.... the car still uses the S14a rear cradle. Sure, it required 2 mounts be put on the cradle to suit the GTR diff, but apart form that it all bolted straight in :D

if your wanting to swap the entire diff over, housing and all, you will need the drive shafts and rear hubs as the spline on the GTR drive shaft is slightly different to that of the S14 hub..... you will also need to ad some mounting points from the GTR cradle to the S14 cradle.

Just to add to this thread with Some R33 info. I spoke to a workshop that has tried and the R33GTR Diff will not fit the R33 GTS25t due to the tailshaft flange being different. It wasn't clear if the mountings for the diff were different but at the least a tailshaft mod would be required.

sorry mate, no pics as the car didnt make the hoist..... i did nelgect to mention that the tail shaft will definitely need to be modded as the GTR has a CV joint assembly as the rear universal joint, not a cross yolk like the GTST....