SAU Community

Oil Pressure at Idle RB25DET??

benl1981

Hi there. My skyline has low oil pressure at warm idle according to the factory gauge. Only a few mm above zero. As soon as you take off it rises pretty quickly to around the 2 or 4 mark. When I got it it had 10W 30 oil in it. I now have 10w 40 in it with a genuine filter. Maybe now go to 15w 50.?

I searched and have heard this may be a gauge problem. I can't hear any clanking or signs of poor lubrication

When I got the car UAS checked it out pretty thoroughly.

Thanks

Hi there.  My skyline has low oil pressure at warm idle according to the factory gauge.  Only a few mm above zero.  As soon as you take off it rises pretty quickly to around the 2 or 4 mark.  When I got it it had 10W 30 oil in it.  I now have 10w 40 in it with a genuine filter.  Maybe now go to 15w 50.?

I searched and have heard this may be a gauge problem.  I can't hear any clanking or signs of poor lubrication

When I got the car UAS checked it out pretty thoroughly.

Thanks

Hi there, what does it read at cold idle ?, i think your right about it being a gauge problem, whats your oil level like ?. it would be good to get a aftermarket one hooked up to check, i dont think there would be any need to go to 15w50, i run mobil 1 5w40 with a nissan filter and my oil pressure always hangs around 4 kg/cm at warm idle.

( pain in the ass getting a gauge though hey )

Thanks mate - good idea. It cold idles about the 4-6 mark. I'll have to check. But oil pressure is pretty high till about 5 minutes doen the road. I'm getting a wheel alignment soon so might see if the mechanic has a gauge to hook up to check. WHat could possibly be wrong, oil pump?

Thanks again

warm idle should be about 2

if you know someone with the same car swap the oil pressure sender and see if it helps. its easy to swap over.

yeah good idea, and ur right about the warm idle oil pressure i wasnt payin enough attention.

the pressure readings your getting seem uniformly low by about 2kg/cm so that might be a good sign that its just a telemetry type prob

depended on how cold the weather was usually around 4-7

a fraction above zero means there is definetly something wrong, either sender or oil pressure(doubt it) so go swap your sender over to check it out..

• 2 weeks later...

Right...

Is the oil pressure light run from another pressure sender/switch.

So you think I would hear valvetrain noise if the pressure was this low? On a cold start if the car has sat there for a day or 2 the oil light will come on for about 1 second after cranking then go off. I've never seen the oil light come on during driving/idling.

you would definately hear valvetrain noise if it was just above zero. The Skylines have very small tolerances and it becomes very obvious when you have no oil pressure.

I got an aftermarket guage and warm idle mine sits between 15 and 20 PSI

cold idle about 55 PSI. The genuine dash unit is very broad in its reading.

i have had a problem with my oil pressure sender for awhile.. sometimes watching it doing 100k's then the gauge says about 1 on the stock gauge. after calming down from freaking out i tapped the sender with the wheel nut undoer and it free'd it up aor something because everytime i do that it shows 2 on the stock gauge at idle.

its porbably just your sender playing funny buggers. also i am using HPR 15 which is a

10w - 60 oil with a purolater ( *spelling ) oil filter.

When I bought my R32 I was alarmed to see the oil pressure gauge just above Zero at idle.

I was even more worried when I was cruising at 100ks and put my foot down and the needle dropped to zero.

I took the car straight around to my mechanic. He put his master gauge on it and said the oil pressure was perfect so he ordered a new sender. Cost me over $ 200 but oil pressure has read spot on ever since.

• 16 years later...
On 16/12/2004 at 2:10 AM, The Dan said:

you would definately hear valvetrain noise if it was just above zero. The Skylines have very small tolerances and it becomes very obvious when you have no oil pressure.

I got an aftermarket guage and warm idle mine sits between 15 and 20 PSI

cold idle about 55 PSI. The genuine dash unit is very broad in its reading.

Just answering from in the future by a few years, the oil pressure on my RB27 that I've freshly built with factory pump with extended crank collar sits about 90-105psi cold and 20psi when hot. Engines running on 15w-40 Semi Synthetic Castrol GTX oil 

8 hours ago, MoMnDadGTR said:

should be around 100psi when cold start with thicker oil yup. something wierd going on id be trying and testing like crazy at this point.

He said he has a factory oil pump. Please go back and read your factory manual.

RB26 Oil pressure at idle is 1.5bar or 21psi. His oil pressure is fine at idle.