FLUTTER sound as BOV

ATTN

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Holy sh1t, please tell me that is a joke?  

Would anyone really go for that? If so, it is a big indication of how sh1t human beings can be, truly incredible!

"Ohhhh! The Humanity!!!!"

Lol. If I had this car I'd just have to have that sunami speaker for the final rice factor.

RicedU2.jpg

Is this guy serious? Next time im out in town on the tune meeting new ladies I'll now first introduce myself then proceed by saying "I have a fluttering BOV on my car" & then i just assume the reaction will be 'owww wow your so brave' & then she'll have s3x with me because im so cool & she’ll think im a celebrity :P

I was just introducing the positives about having the bloody cooler noise. Why the hell is everyones else putting them, main reason to attract attention from people, as they dnt do anything in the first place, as no-one has ever proven that they gain performance, in fact it was proven that you loose power in some cases, and ppl still put them on, WHY??? lol, ask yourself the question, coz you got one on your car.

:wassup:

You dont need a pod to make the flutter noise. My car runs no air filter, just blades to air, I drive it rarely as its in its finishing stages. But it makes fluttering noises like crazy (I have no BOV as FJ20s were never installed with them). It sounds great but I am fitting a BOV and filter this weekend. The BOV is to stop oil from spraying back out of the turbo, not much but any is too much. The sudden rush of air going back against the compressor as your throttle is closed on boost, places undue stress on your bearings = significantly increased wear and tear.

OMG!!

ratedGTR are u fkn serious??

man every time i hear that flutter sound i turn around and see a sh1tbox old car...... or a car that hasnt been setup properly.

it sounds like ur ***in engine rattles and turbo is stuffed.....(dont worry makin that noise your turbo will get more stuffed....)

if u want attention dont be a tightass, go and buy a loudass bov(if u ask me a factory bov is fine) and a 3' zorst.... but dont go and put performance screweing shit on a skyline!! (there should be laws against ppl like u with there fluttering bovs...like "ratedgtr is not allowed near a skyline" go buy an old crap car and make ur flutter.

and as for performance increase that is bs... it makes compressor surge air trapped has to go bak out turb and into engine bay(allready hot air) so next gear change u suck in hot air (after u got over the bucketfulls of lag coz of comp surge)... some ppl need to think before they start detrimental mods to there car.

***ing stupid flutter questions.

Learn to search you dumb mofos.

one last time for the dummies..

1.) there is no such thing as WASTEGATE flutter/chatter... Please don't use this terms again.

2.) fluttering is caused when air goes back through the turbo. It can be heard louder if you have a less restrictive air intake like a pod filter instead of stock air box which muffles the sound.

3.) NO BOV'S MAKE FLUTTERING NOISES. NONE!!! they all make a single release sound of some sort, like pssht or squeek for the HKS range. EVEN the sequential bovs.. sequential simply means that they have some sort of twin chamber and 2 pistons in them... they simply work slightly different to the normal ones like turbo smart.

if you adjust them to be tight, then they won't open on gear changes and you will hear fluttering noise from your air intake.

4.)don't worry about it being bad for the turbo or not... there is no definite answer.

5.)if your car has a stock bov (which is actually called a COMPRESSOR BYPASS VALVE to bypass compressed air from the compressor during gear changes), then just leave it as is.

you will find that aftermarket or no bov will make the car feel weird.. stall, run rich, unstable idle, backfire, jerky when backing off from accelerator slowly.... etc.

6.) SR20 powered cars - yes these cars with stock bov's make a fluttering sound when using a pod filter.

this is due to the return line from bov to intake pipe. it is too small in diameter and can't handle the amount of air that is BLOWN back, and therefore some air goes back through turbo making fluttering noise.

7.)NIZPRO nad their no bov theory. NBIZPRO mainly desing cars for racing. during circuit racing, you change gears fast and frequently. so having no bov actually keeps more air in the cooler pipes when shifting, so when you are back on the throttle after a shift, you have pretty much instant throttle response when compared to a setup with a bov which realeases the air.

But on the street, it's stupid having no bov. the car just isn't as smooth to drive or idle.

and the fraction of a second faster on the track equals *** all on the street.

now stop posting this stupid question once every fortnight!!!

Steve ... nashio..

that air doesnt DAMAGE the compressor wheel or bearings.

The air is so light it doesnt effect the turbo. 90% of race cars or serious street cars dont use BOV's.

They are a market strategy.. did you know NOT ONE PERSON IN THE WORLD HAS SHOWN PROOF ON DATALOGS THEY WORK!!! Where as people shown they dont do anything.

My street car uses  a T04S 1.00a/r and it runs always around 22+psi and the turbo has been on it for over 60,000klms.

I push the car to its limits and take it to the track/drag races all the time.

When is the next meet after the upcoming one ? car will be going to next event!

nashio?... makedonec si?

No one is going to win this battle.....everyone has their own opinions and leave it at that. If you believe they serve a purpose, use them. If not, dont. Simple.....each to their own...

oh btw, that ricer sh*t is a crackup :rofl:

Steve.

• 6 months later...

lollll nice topic.

all my mate did to make the really loud flutter noise was stuck a bolt into one of the hoses that comes out the stock BOV and clamped it. this is on a NEO6 R34 engine. Since there is no proven fact that its bad for the turbo, i'm just gonna assume the best and leave it on cse it sounds FULLY HEKTIC lol

The noise is turbo surge isn'tit? The air comes back out the turbo in bits at a time. Have heard its only a problem if running 14lbs or more. I.E., you need a BOV at 14lbs or more.

Don't take my word for it though. I'm pretty sure that GBF and Turbosmart bovs are adjustable and if you tighten them up, you get surge at low boost and bov at high boost.

Also heard cars do this on jap video cos they have massive bovs and big turbos and the bov lets all the air out quick and closes but cos of big turbo, lots of inertia and stil spinning, makes more pressure and the bov then lets all this go again and etc, etc.

As I said it's all hearsay, but it's the word on the street... well.. my street anyway.

BTW, the word on the next street is that Nissan putplumback bov std on their cars to keep them quite. They are under the impression that people didn't want funny noises coming from their cars. so bov for the surge and plumback for the bov.

In other words - I don't think they need em.

Edited by chrissso

Sure it makes a cool noise, but wasnt the whole point of a BOV to keep the turbo spinning freely on gearchanges, increasing initial boost response after getting back on the sauce again?

6.) SR20 powered cars - yes these cars with stock bov's make a fluttering sound when using a pod filter.

this is due to the return line from bov to intake pipe. it is too small in diameter and can't handle the amount of air that is BLOWN back, and therefore some air goes back through turbo making fluttering noise.

There u go guys, just make your return line smaller and youll get the flutter you want.