SAU Community

FLUTTER sound as BOV

ATTN

in conclusion, they aren't that bad for your turbo as evidenced by the many workshops that do it to their cars, however, no skyline enthusiast with half a brain would do this to their car for fear of being mistaken for one of the stereotypical losers that actually do do this to their cars to make them sound 'fully sick' as that is purely not what driving a skyline is about.

my 2c

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IT DOESNT MATTER....

Compressor surge does jack crap to your turbo... it wont "blow it up", your turbo is working harder compressing the air than coming offboost.

Please get a timing light with any car running a high-mount on a dyno, and SEE what happens to the compressor blades when the "big bad cooler noise" happens... haha yeh man... the turbo blades stop/start spinning backwards.. haha.

FFS stop reading useless advertising crap off of the turbosmart F.A.Q

One of my best freinds (drives a straight gas VL turbo GAS-747) runs a 10.80 all day/daily driver, runs 30PSI driving over 2 years without ANY problems with the turbo at all. (GT40)

Look at most sub 10 sec turbo VLs... what a suprise... no re-circ B.O.V.

Really as posted above, its horse's for courses. Whatever you prefer, i have NEVER heard of a turbo destroying itself through compressor surge and if it was such a major issue for turbo reliability most TOP STREET drag cars would be running them. (Bres, rajab come to mind)

if your after turbo reliabilty, run a R34 NEO or GTR oil & water pump... that will save your turbo before a BOV. But whatever floats your boat mate! :D

Cheers,

Trev

i had a ssq bov on the car when i bought mine, and it must of been adjusted to tight, and the ssq sound i was hearing was flutter, but i was none the wiser as i thought it was the ssq, i only found out due to i bought a greddy type s (knock of) and put it on and it also was to tight and was still making the flutter, played around with it for a while and still can not get rid of the flutter, i got a high flow turbs but f_&* knows whats goin on, maybe cos they were both cheap knock ofs, the flutter has done no damage to my turbs though, ..oh well thats my rant

this coming from a man who has a BOV on his R32?

very amusing...

no.... the BOV was removed because its useless just gets cops attention and book your ass.

If you run a BOV just leave the standard one. But when you go serious power remove the BOV>!

I was under the impresion that no bov was louder than having one? Thus less attention for a factory fitted item. <_<

i had a ssq bov on the car when i bought mine, and it must of been adjusted to tight, and the ssq sound i was hearing was flutter, but i was none the wiser as i thought it was the ssq, i only found out due to i bought a greddy type s (knock of) and put it on and it also was to tight and was still making the flutter, played around with it for a while and still can not get rid of the flutter, i got a high flow turbs but f_&* knows whats goin on, maybe cos they were both cheap knock ofs, the flutter has done no damage to my turbs though, ..oh well thats my rant

took it apart and it had 2 springs in it, i would say a high and low boost spring in it, kept the soft spring in it as only runnin 9psi and hopefully stops reversion,

IT DOESNT MATTER....

Compressor surge does jack crap to your turbo... it wont "blow it up", your turbo is working harder compressing the air than coming offboost.

This is correct. Plumback BOV's were fitted on skylines for emmission control...

I think they are alright. They're one of the reasons I like turbos...

My 2 bob.

I haven't looked in to it enough, but the way I see it when you've got compressor surge you're applying a force to the blades that it otherwise wasn't designed to take.

The force itself might not be as strong as when the turbo is on-boost, but the compressor wheel is designed to take load in that direction.

I haven't looked in to it enough, but the way I see it when you've got compressor surge you're applying a force to the blades that it otherwise wasn't designed to take.

The force itself might not be as strong as when the turbo is on-boost, but the compressor wheel is designed to take load in that direction.

The air might flow a different way but the force is in the same direction.

This is correct.  Plumback BOV's were fitted on skylines for emmission control...

I think they are alright.  They're one of the reasons I like turbos...

My 2 bob.

How does fitting a BOV correct emissions? The standard skyline bov's simply recircluate back into the intake system. Without a bov the air is still in the same location. I don't see how it "helps emissions". The BOV is simply there to prevent compressor surge when the throttle body is closed

How does fitting a BOV correct emissions? The standard skyline bov's simply recircluate back into the intake system. Without a bov the air is still in the same location. I don't see how it "helps emissions". The BOV is simply there to prevent compressor surge when the throttle body is closed

Well....

The air in the plumbing has to go somewhere right?

It goes back out of the turbo (surge) and into the atmosphere, passing the airflow meter on the way which read some airflow and the ecu pumps fuel through your injectors giving you a black puff of smoke.

If you have an atmo BOV, the turbo keeps sucking air and the air flow meter reads the air - etc.. see above for the rest.

A plumback keeps the air circulating through the plumbing,after the airflowmeter, the aflowmeter doesn't register any airflow and there is no polution.

well the stock bov noise on my rb25 was pissing me off, so i made up a metal gasket blocked it off, and now my car flutters, i only run 10psi and so far no damge, and it dosnt really slow the turbo down at high revs when making boost