SAU Community

Gtr Injectors Into Rb20det

Roy

i'm also in the middle of using the jaycar resistors in the loom..does anyone who has done this way know whether it makes a difference if i have the resistor on the positive or negative wire of the injector??

cheers.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant remember if ive posted it in here before;

This is the method I came up with for the GTR injector wiring. Much easier than the explained method in this thread!

Pretty much, find the common 12v wire using a multimetre and wire directly off the plug. Saves the effort of stripping back all the wiring etc

gtrwiringrb20.jpg

thanks rekin!!yeah thats a top diagram..

i'm not using the gtr ballast resistor just 6 individual resistors..

so pretty much just putting the resistors on the positive wire before each injector.

or rolls, you think it shouldn't matter either on pos or neg.?could you explain?

cheers!

What a resistor does is it causes a voltage drop and hence drops the current flowing through the circuit, as the current is the same for all elements in a loop (battery > injector driver > injector > resistor > battery ground) and the aim is to lower the current to stop the injector driver burning out it doesn't matter where in the circuit it is placed, it will have exactly the same effect.

Edited by Rolls

also. when fitting the actual injector.did people remove the O ring on the bottom of the gtr injector, so the fuel rail can screw in all the way (the gtr injectors seem real tight)?

there already is a rubber seal in the head of the rb20, because the stock injectors dont have this O ring attached to the injector itself.

You also need an aftermarket fuel rail as they are top fee, I got some custom spacers machined up personally for the bottom so they would fit.

yeah thats already done. just trying to work out ow to get them to fit properly.... what did your spacers look like? can you pm me a pic by any chance?

• 7 months later...

It's some really fancy fabric electrical tape that my auto-eleccy mate gave me.

I grouped them into 2 layers of 3 resistors, cut some ally to use as spacers/heatsinks. Ally spacers on the bottom, in between and on top of the resistors. Used thermal paste between it all and taped either end and longitudinally with the fabric tape (also acts as a damper to take up the minimal slack between the assembly and the case) then thermal pasted the exposed ally top and bottom so that the case can be used as a heat sink too.

I was quite concerned with the assembly moving around and any exposed wires contacting the case (hello fire). The fat power feed to the resistors I stripped back quite far, split it into two and ran three resistors to each with all exposed wire heat shrunk all the way to the resistors.

I have made a new loom just for the power feeds to the injectors, just need to extend the original injectors earths and then crimp the plugs on. My autoleccy mate sourced me some brand new Bosch plugs with seals and boots to suit the GTR injectors and let me borrow his terminal crimper :D

• 1 month later...

It's some really fancy fabric electrical tape that my auto-eleccy mate gave me.

I grouped them into 2 layers of 3 resistors, cut some ally to use as spacers/heatsinks. Ally spacers on the bottom, in between and on top of the resistors. Used thermal paste between it all and taped either end and longitudinally with the fabric tape (also acts as a damper to take up the minimal slack between the assembly and the case) then thermal pasted the exposed ally top and bottom so that the case can be used as a heat sink too.

I was quite concerned with the assembly moving around and any exposed wires contacting the case (hello fire). The fat power feed to the resistors I stripped back quite far, split it into two and ran three resistors to each with all exposed wire heat shrunk all the way to the resistors.

I have made a new loom just for the power feeds to the injectors, just need to extend the original injectors earths and then crimp the plugs on. My autoleccy mate sourced me some brand new Bosch plugs with seals and boots to suit the GTR injectors and let me borrow his terminal crimper :D

hey mate ive just acquired some 33gtr injectors to go into my rb20 what resisters did you use? as i want to make one as well.