SAU Community

RB26DETT Engine Removal..

RB_26

How *involved* is the engine removal on an RB26DETT.... ? Looks a tight fitting s0d... any chance of a quick run-down of whats involved and possible pitfalls? Any *special* tools from dealer needed etc? :Bang:

I want to remove the bugger to fit a larger capacity sump, good look round the turbos etc and maybe dress the old girl up a bit.

If this works out *too* difficult might have to pay labour at a local shop... :goddam: and to be honest it would be good to see the thing out in case I need to do it again in the future... :alcoholic .. how many hours approx? :kick:

Doing a search on it at the mo but any links on this would be sweet :)

Oh yea, I'll be doing this with a standard engine hoist, hope & some beer :D

......... :)

ummm....personally I found it a crap job and would leave it until she blows....rebuild isn't that much more expensive if you need to fix broken stuff as well....

no special tools as such, the two things I remember causing the most trouble where the top gearbox bolts which need 4 x 1' extensions to get at, and the starter motor bolts which need 1" long fingers and a stubby ratchet to get at :P

There has also been a good thread about whether to take it out under or over, with or without gearbox, try a search.

It took us about 5 hours from memory. 1 person knew what they were doing, a couple watching from chairs with beers, and me getting in the way.

ummm....personally I found it a crap job and would leave it until she blows....rebuild isn't that much more expensive if you need to fix broken stuff as well....

no special tools as such, the two things I remember causing the most trouble where the top gearbox bolts which need 4 x 1' extensions to get at, and the starter motor bolts which need 1" long fingers and a stubby ratchet to get at :P

There has also been a good thread about whether to take it out under or over, with or without gearbox, try a search.

It took us about 5 hours from memory.  1 person knew what they were doing, a couple watching from chairs with beers, and me getting in the way.

The beer to talent equation....! will try another search thanks! :)

I have done it before , i prefer to pull out as 1 unit engine + box , i find it easier .

I dont know if your engine crane will lift high enough for the 2 units tough , i lift with a chain block . you will need your hoist to be able to lift about 2.1 meters ( from the floor to the hook of your crane ) . Others undo the box and drop it under the car and like in Duncans case undo the box and leave it there .

whatever you do you will need to tilt engine box to get to the top box bolts and to make it easier to undo the top starter bolt . I leave everything on the engine , just undo the air comp and secure it on the rail do the same with the steer pump .

Just the normal stuff , undo everything , take radiator out drive shafts , undo all hoses take airbox out .

hook your chain on the front and rear hooks or use a strap around the engine .

One person you will need almost all day and then a helper when you lift it out .

I have done it before , i prefer to pull out as 1 unit engine + box , i find it easier .

I dont know if your engine crane will lift high enough for the 2 units tough , i lift with a  chain block . you will need your hoist to be able to lift about 2.1 meters ( from the floor to the hook of your crane ) . Others undo the box and drop it under the car and like in Duncans case undo the box and leave it there .

whatever you do you will need to  tilt engine box to get to the top box bolts and to make it easier to undo the top starter bolt . I leave everything on the engine , just undo the air comp and secure it on the rail do the same with the steer pump .

Just the normal stuff , undo everything , take radiator out drive shafts , undo all hoses take airbox out .

hook your chain on the front and rear hooks or use a strap around the engine .

One person you will need almost all day and then a helper when you lift it out .

If you dont have a 3/4 rattle gun undo the crank pulley before you take it out , it will be very tight , use your starter to undo it .

No i don't have any probs at all , i just use a 3/4 " rattle gun if the engine is out .

I have used your method as well with a 3/4 " socket and a home made special tool to hold the flywheel from turning .

When engine is in the car you cant use a rattle gun so i use the starter , its very easy .

You have to be carefull when you use a pry bar / screwdriver on the ring gear , you could break a tooth .

The tool that i have made grabs a few teeth .

Guest two.06l
How *involved* is the engine removal on an RB26DETT.... ? Looks a tight fitting s0d... any chance of a quick run-down of whats involved and possible pitfalls? Any *special* tools from dealer needed etc? :Bang:  

I want to remove the bugger to fit a larger capacity sump, good look round the turbos etc and maybe dress the old girl up a bit.

If this works out *too* difficult might have to pay labour at a local shop...  :goddam: and to be honest it would be good to see the thing out in case I need to do it again in the future...  :alcoholic .. how many hours approx?  :kick:  

Doing a search on it at the mo but any links on this would be sweet  :)  

Oh yea, I'll be doing this with a standard engine hoist, hope & some beer  :D

......... :(

We drop them out underneath in one unit a'la Peter Hall from adelaide. It is easier in the long run and less scraped knuckles.

yeah sorry the Pry bar is between fly wheel bolts....just chuck a couple back on.

perhaps its time for a compressor....

and yeah Stacey we've tried the engine out the bottom as well, it was probably easier, but we had trouble with lifting the car high enough on the engine hoist? do you have a full hoist instead?