SAU Community

300zx diff in R33 GTS-T possible?

Hi people -

Is it possible to put a LSD from a 300zx twin turbo into an R33 GTS-T liner? Even an internal swap possible? The 300s seem to have much better locking action than the standard skyline items hence I would like to change.

Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks

Andy.

Hi people -  

Is it possible to put a LSD from a 300zx twin turbo into an R33 GTS-T liner?  Even an internal swap possible?  The 300s seem to have much better locking action than the standard skyline items hence I would like to change.

Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks

Andy.

Yes it is exactly the same unit externally. some diffs have a 4 bolt drive flange and some have a 5 bolt drive flange, see what your GTS-t driveshaft's bolt pattern is..

I believe the difference lies in non or twin turbo diffs and the ratio's also depends on non/t-turbo diff units. I thought the non turbo's ratio is more favourable....

hope this helps....

I was told that the centres are interchangeable as long as both are viscous LSD and they don't have any hydraulic connections on the back plate.

I was also told that they should be exactly the same. The 300's have better traction because they are heavier in the arse. Dunno how true it is though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm considering a diff swap for my R32.

I find the 4.363:1 diff ratio with the rb30 is simply too short + the current diff is now openwheeling slightly under acceleration. In the wet it some times spins in to a full open wheel.

Apparently the S13 & S14 diff's bolt in if you use the skyline diff's back blate.

The S13 being a 3.9:1 (Just what I'm looking for) and the S14 a 4.08.

Following that there's the R33 & GTR 4.11:1 ratio.

The GTR diff being slightly better as it is a mechanical lsd not the poxy vlsd that tends to open wheen when they get hot.

The S13 VLSD isn't an issue as I will be getting the diff tightened up so to speak. I've priced around and its around $300-$350 if I remove and install.

The 3.9:1 Should drop the rev's nicely for a drive interstate my other half is fantasising about.

I've done my calcs.

3.9 it is.

A shade over 2500rpm will net 100km/h in 5th.

6000rpm shift point will grab

Approx:

57km/h in first

95km/h in second

140km/h in third

183km/h in fourth

234km/h in fifth

Stretch the shift to just after 6500rpm where it is likely to be once the bigger turbo is on.

Approx

63km/h in first

106km/h in second

157km/h in third

204km/h in fourth

262km/h in fifth.

I wouldn't want to lean on the 3ltr much more than a shade over 6500rpm.

Scared it will pop.

• 12 years later...

Um, it doesn't make sense to ask your question in this thread, because this thread started out with a question and answer that do not align with reality.  The Z32 turbo diff is an R230, so the internals do not fit into a Skyline housing.  And whilst you can jam the R230 housing into a Skyline subframe, it's not trivial.

In your case, assuming you don't want to be trying to build some terrible Frankendiff with R230 stuff, then all you need is a 3.7 gearset from an S14 or whatever, plus your housing, plus the Nismo centre and stub axles of your choice.  Plus some oil. And maybe a gasket.  And possibly some bearings and a crush spacer.