SAU Community

Faq: Apexi Powerfc - Frequently Asked Questions

paulr33

the faq covers "hung on apexi logo"

15volts its too high, dead fuse for regulator circuit (i had this problem in my 33) theres a fuse in the boot for the regulator signal, its dead or removed, check it. engine light will only be on if you use boost kit without actually having the boost kit, it sounds like it may have done factory reset. if so turn off the boost kit under ETC, FUNCTION SELECT.

are you in melbourne ?

and unfortunately i cant do much with it as i dont have a commander for this. There are 2 types of hand controllers and it seems i can only get my hand on the wrong one!! thats why the apexi logo hangs. Also found out that a couple of people who have had to jump start or had dead flat batteries with power fc's have lost their maps in the process.... I fear that this will be my fate too. Flat broke so if that is the case the ol 33 wont be on the road for quite some time!! lol Getting alternator back tonight from a reco (needed it bad!!) so will put that back on and let you know what she's up to from there!!

you wont loose the map if your battery is flat or if you jump start it. the tune is saved in nvram. i fried my powerfc (blew it up by shorting the wrong wires) and i had it repaird by a friend at work and my tune was still present.

i have datalogit so i can access your powerfc but i can't tune it for you (no dyno). dr drift in melbourne has access to datalogit (and dyno) and he can tune it for you no problems. it just may take longer with no hand controller

give him a call

added djetro info for other djetro models (evo lancer, s15 200sx, gtr)

added wideband tuning

added full menu options for all powerfcs

added idle hunt / idle surge fix

added FUNCTION on / off japanese character key

updated some of the self tuning for ignition timing areas

updated idle reset procedure

updated info for apexi powerfc pro discontinued

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, got regualtor fixed, reco'd the alternator only to read your post about fuse, and guess what.... you were DEAD RIGHT!!!! Replaced fuse, all is good, still have the engine problem though. Seems ok under load, off load (ie: cruising at set speeds) it misses and farts at a certain interval, like every 3 seconds, it farts for 1 second, then fine for 3 seconds, then farts for a second and so forth. Finally got hold of a hand controller thats for an r33, and ......NOTHING! Apexi logo hangs, but i did find that if i hold up button whilst turning ignition key on it goes to a screen that just says "FN" ????

Think i may have fried some or all of the power fc? Googled the shit outta "power fc FN" etc only to come up with didly squat...nothin!!!! Help me please!! lol So far you've been spot on the money! If need be i'll express post it to you and you may be able to fix it!! lol, the problem i have is its supposed to be in a wedding march 18th!!!! not looking too good!!

if it comes up with the apexi logo at start up and freezes you have the wrong hand controller version. you probably need 414-N001 and you may have 414-X001

i have tried looking into all of that, what i've found is this, which is just what "i think may be right".

That for r33 skylines there are in fact 2 power fc's around for them, one is serial ECR33 XXXXXX and the other is RB25 XXXXXX, the ecr33 one uses the hand controller FCC3 XXXXXXX and it looks like the RB25 (my one) uses a controller FCC NT XXXXXX

I cannot see anything on the controllers or power fc units stating numbers anywhere near 414 N001 or X001. Mine says PFC RB25 -9705 - 0013 on the unit and the hand controller says FCC3-020-10512

Man, im glad you've got the brains to figure out this stuff!! That bloody FAQ you've done is a credit to ya and it would have taken a LONG LONG time to get to the stage its at!!

so the pink & black soleniod wiring is wired into the factory soleniod loom green & blue/white wires ? is this correct ?

is the z32 afm from the vg30 engine, so what voltage value do i use ?

Also ive got 555cc nismo injectors, what value do i need to use in the injector value menu ?

Hi Paul,

Just a though here, don't shoot me down in flames :laugh:

How about you add a section on doing full power ignition tuning? As long as you have a good set of knock headphones, it isnt too hard. I know of a few cars that have been 'street tuned' this way with a wideband O2 meter as well.

Cheers,

Matt

whilst i wouldnt mind myself

its basically a case of up timing and watch for knock

i can put lots of stress on the car

and also its a big change of the tuner "amatuer" to really bork the engine.

i would rather a pro do that part if it makes sense

very interesting read, thanks for all the info, i have tried some of it, but im still not confident im doing the right things. Anyone in Sydney know a cheap place to tune the power fc properly ?

• 4 weeks later...

im assuming rb20 powerfc would suit which is an ap engineering model.

the 4wd controller system is performed by a seperate computer to the ecu. you may find the tps signals and rpm have to be run manually as the rb20 ap engineer wont expect to have an attessa ecu piggyback-ing off it

• 3 weeks later...