SAU Community

Truth About Standard Gauges Accuracy - R32 Gtr

GTR32

Hi Guys;

I see a lot of posts regarding the inaccuracy of standard gauges. While not wishing to challenge the observations or experience of others, I'm just curious to know how this popular belief has been formed.

I've spoken to a number of instrument repairers who say that factory gauges are made to a tolerance of 2-3%, which is quite good, and that factory gauges are very reliable. However they also stated that senders are known for wearing out, particularly pressure senders.

I can understand some drivers may wish to have fine rather than coarse readings ie 20/40/60/80/100 rather than just 70 and 90 (and the standard gauges are certainly coarse) but that's more a function of precision than accuracy.

I'm about to have my oil/boost and water senders and gauges tested but it's a stuff around. And I suspect that the gauges will all come back within tolerance. Nevertheless if there is enough evidence to prove that the standard units are useless I won't hesitate to change them.

Just interested to hear what people have done re testing etc.

Cheers

Hi Guys;

I see a lot of posts regarding the inaccuracy of standard gauges. While not wishing to challenge the observations or experience of others, I'm just curious to know how this popular belief has been formed.

generally people come to this well known conclusion via the installation of aftermarket gauges.

with either

1) give a far more accurate reading

2) far more responsive reading

which for someone who wants to know vital information... its quite important.

EG, pressure gauge (oil)

Its takes nearly 10seconds to react sometimes in most cars.

Get an aftermarket one and see how fast it moves :rant:

justinfox on here had an issue with his 32GTR oil temp gauge...

i have a temperamental oil pressure gauge and warning light (happened at the track) so have replaced the 3 gauges in the centre with oil temp, oil press and water temp with warnings.

Hi R31;

I'm not sure how the installation of a'mket gauges could, of itself, lead anyone to the conclusion that they are more accurate. More responsive sure, but where's the proof they are more accurate? Has anyone tested the accuracy of standard gauges? Like GTR 32 said 2-3% is pretty good from an analogue gauge.

Re the oil pressure gauge taking 10 seconds to react, that's likely to be due to a dodgy sender I'd say.

Getting the gauge and sender checked is a lot cheaper than most a'mket gauges.

Ronin;

I can understand why a temperamental gauge would drive you nuts for sure, but in my case I'm wondering, like GTR 32, why not just fix the standard gauge as it's a cheap process.

Regards

Hi R31;

I'm not sure how the installation of a'mket gauges could, of itself, lead anyone to the conclusion that they are more accurate. More responsive sure, but where's the proof they are more accurate? Has anyone tested the accuracy of standard gauges? Like GTR 32 said 2-3% is pretty good from an analogue gauge.

Over time though its not 2-3% anymore.

Responsive gauges are a good thing to have.

Re the oil pressure gauge taking 10 seconds to react, that's likely to be due to a dodgy sender I'd say.

And no, its not the sender unit. They are all slow, in many models of skyline. I dont think ive seen on fast one...

Maybe its the location of the sensor possibly. Slow is slow though.

Getting the gauge and sender checked is a lot cheaper than most a'mket gauges.  

i count time as $$$, when i can have a boost gauge lines in within a few mins, then just gotta mount it.

Its not that hard a choice for me personally, especially when there are autobhan sales and all that sorta thing where stock is 20-30% cheaper at least.

Not that i have a GTR, but where the stock gauges are... isnt the "best" spot. thats another reason i guess

GTR 32 - I installed aftermarket gauges whilst still retaining the oem ones, here's some observations I've made:

Std water temp gauge => aftermarket gauge can move 30 degrees (in 2 degree increments) without the oem one moving at all (only time my stock one went to hot was "after" I split a radiator hose - this is also common with Subarus).

Std oil pressure gauge => accurate up to about 4.5 bar (agrees with aftermarket one) but won't read any higher pressure, unlike the aftermarket one.

Oil temp gauge => no oem fitted, so can't comment.

My aftermarket gauges are electric Omori ones & have very quick response times (particularly oil pressure where you get rapid changes).

• 16 years later...

Time to resurrect this thread! 

I was asking myself this very question. My beef with aftermarket gauges is primarily how they look. Where possible, I've done my best to keep my Skyline looking stock.

That being said, I do wish the gauges (especially the oil pressure gauge) were a little bit more trustworthy. I've added a new sender of course, but there is always that nagging doubt in my mind.

So, I thought of an interesting solution! Why not add an audible alarm that buzzes super loud if you loose oil pressure? Here is a product I found that might fit the bill. Apparently, this is a common thing in marine applications. Not sure if it would be that great for a track car with an open exhaust and a brain bucket on the drivers head, but then again, if my car was a track car, I wouldn't be worrying about how the gauges look. 

Here's a link to the buzzer kit:

https://www.myinboardmarine.com/products/alarm-for-engine-with-audible-warning-kit?variant=31226510901353&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic

I mean, yeah, that too! I'm about to embark upon a major upgrade for my GTR which will include a Haltech standalone, so it will have that going for it as well. But I think I very well may add this buzzer as a way to let me know what's going on!

This buzzer would be a very good option for someone who is not ready (or not able) to plunk down the money for good engine management!

2 minutes ago, dorkspeed said:

But I think I very well may add this buzzer as a way to let me know what's going on!

No need to add the extra hardware. The Haltech can ring all the bells and blink all the lights you will ever want.

• Like 2

If you REALLY want the ultimate solution of OEM looking with top quality hardware, save your pennies for a Motec C1212 with Display Creator. Pinnacle of performance. Program it to look exactly like the OEM gauge cluster. 

Only going to set you back ~$8000 + mounting/wiring/programming. But baller is baller!

• Like 2

I suspect the actual issue in many cases is not the sensor (range notwithstanding) but the actual gauge circuitry itself seems to have a significant delay. That was the case with the MR2 Turbos, if you changed out the gauge driver for something that sampled quickly it was possible to have response on par with aftermarket gauges. I suspect the same is true of the gauges in these cars.

The R34 has a much faster reacting oil pressure display. Other Skyline owners hated me when I was like "what, the OEM oil pressure works perfectly?"

When I re-shelled my car, I noticed my oil pressure display was slow. I re-bought the OEM nissan sensor and it was fast again. Me thinks in this case it was the sender being updated in some revision, at least in this one, specific case!

1 hour ago, joshuaho96 said:

I suspect the actual issue in many cases is not the sensor (range notwithstanding) but the actual gauge circuitry itself seems to have a significant delay.

The stock analogue gauges on most cars have built-in damping and the GTR is no different.    The stock gauges are designed to provide an 'at a glance' indication of the health of the engine, not absolute accuracy to a high degree.    If you want 'accuracy' get a digital readout - maybe a HUD - with calibrated sensors.