SAU Community

car insurance before compliance

R324DR

Hey guys and girls. Just wondering if anyone can tell me how i can get insurance for my R32 between the time i pick it up and when it becomes fully registered. I just rang just car insurance and they told me that the do not insure a car that is not fully insured. I'm guessing most other insurance companies are the same. Can anyone hellp me out with info. Cheers.

as far as I know you will not be able to obtain comprehensive insurance for your car until it is registered.

what about third party. could take upto a month before the car has rego and anything could happen in that time.

what about third party. could take upto a month before the car has rego and anything could happen in that time.

They won't touch an unroadworthy car. Not saying that it isn't but as it isn't "complied" it can't be registered, therefore unroadworthy. Basically take it easy until its fully insured is my 2 cents.

are you talking about compulsory third party? ie. greenslip?

if so then you can buy the policy before you go get the car rego'd (you have to) but I imagine it will not be valid until the car is registered. and anyway CTP will only cover another persons injury if you cause an accident.

I have to ask why are you driving it around for a month without rego anyway?

as far as I know you will not be able to obtain comprehensive insurance for your car until it is registered.

You should be able to get a cover note. But I can't recall if it has to have a blue slip already, or that it has to have been preiously registered.

You can drive the car from place of repair/blue slip/registration or any other place that the car is required to attend in order to complete registration (such as vehicle ID check), but it must be via the most direct route. Also, it would help if you placed a paper over the number plate that reads "TRAFFIC" - this will avoid youbeing pulled over by the Police. :)

I have to ask why are you driving it around for a month without rego anyway?

but he didn't say it was going to be a month :) it's presumably from the time the workshop finishes with it, to get it home, then over to the registration place.

to the OP, don't think you'll have much luck mate - CTP is as close as you'll come, with a temporary unregistered vehicle permit.

NXTIME,

I went into the RTA to ask about a cover note or a permit and the ladies told me there was no such thing and I had to take it to the nearest blue slip place,

they couldnt comprehend that the car needed to be complied and the nearest for me is hornsby which is still about a 30min drive.

have you actually got a link to an rta article stating the laws or spoken directly to an authority about it?

Don't think the RTA is who you want for the cover note - it's your insurance company.

But they won't give you one (I bet money on it).

However, the RTA can give you a temporary permit to move an unregistered car, which includes CTP. Only lasts for a short time though (28 days). This is what you want:

Application for Unregistered Vehicle Permit:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/publicationsstat...ds/45070190.pdf

Sigi

yeah, no insurance unless the car is rego'd. I'm going through the same thing at the moment. Car has been compliance, but i don't have the plate yet, so it's just sitting locked up in the garage. I haven't found anyway of insuring it without it being registered.

If something happens to your car at a workshop, sometimes the workshops insurance will cover the cars at the workshop, so if the compliance workshop insurance covers your car whilst it's there, maybe leave it at the workshop until you can rego it? I couldn't wait for mine, it was in Sydney and i got it as soon as the compliance work was done, been waiting 10 months, just wanted to get the f*cking thing...

Ok guys - speaking from experience here, Shannons can provide a 'laid up' insurance for your car while off the road (no rego required) - this is what I had on my '89 GTR.

You can actually get temp rego anywhere from 1 day to a week. Again, this is what I had with my car. All you need is to tell them that is is 15yr old and give them the chassis number.

Interesting about Shannons, I can understand that if you car fell out of rego while insured it would still be covered but I wouldnt have thought they would cover a car that has never been registered in Australia

they even sent me a pamphlet last night that stated they were offering this sort of cover : )

it is to cover cars that are off the road - say you have bought an E type jag into Aust and are rebuilding it, then you can get it insured.

If anyone requires verification - give them a call....