SAU Community

FREIGHT F.A.Q AND RECOMMENDATIONS

Hey guys, long time reader first time poster, but just came across this and thought I'd better reply. I used a company called KK Couriers they specialize in fragile freight. It was a bit more expensive but no other companies would touch it and I didn't want to use toll. I bought a full bodykit that was unpacked and had it sent to me in Perth from Sydney. They packed everything for me and had it over to me within a week without a scratch on it. Everything was fully padded and delivered to my front door. I just heard of them through a friend who had a whole bunch of printers and photocopiers delivered by them.

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Couldnt agree more...

I bought a full Aero body kit for a Commodore from Syd to Tassie, no scratch, all in good nik... and........ they were 1 day late..... therefore it was freeee :yes: it would have been $370 from memory.

I am about to use them again to get an engine from SA to tassie, $470 door to door. pallet incl...

nice to work with...

--Ben

• 4 weeks later...
Best company for posting rims etc. http://www.smartsend.com.au/

Picked up 17" rims with tyres from my mates place in Melbourne and delivered to my place in Adelaide for $50.

I also used SmartSend for 18" rims and tyres from Brighton, Vic, to Perth, WA. Cost $220, plus $90 insurance. Took just over five working days, so were picked up Monday morning and delivered next Monday morning. Able to track them on their website. All arrived OK with packaging intact.

Cheers. :P

• 3 weeks later...

We use Australia Post express post bags on a daily basis for sending ECUs and daughterboards and find this a cheap and reliable way to send small things through

Only had one missing package so far over the last few years (stolen from workshop mailboxes) so far. If you want it signed for at the other end you can use Express Post Platinum bags which work similar to registered post (but unfortunatley no insurance)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.transdirect.com.au

Used Border Express happliy for a bit but in 2008 appears they shy away from smaller jobs preferring Company contracts.

Found "transdirect" on a web site search - easy web site, easy to contact, easy to book and price . . for me . . OK - they accept Credit Cards so you can do all Online and not even talk to them !

Have used twice quite happily, last time in Dec for a Diff from near Wollongong to Melb - am going to book some Alloys from Nth NSW next week.

Recommended - Yup Dave

I Mosted this as a 4 sale in errore and got a prompt reply I had posted "an advertisement - nope" I've stuffed around finding freight before and its a ring around and a chase around. Try Trans if you like, I was happy. Dave 19/2/09

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jus a newbie question, what are the approximate sizes & weight for GTR Seats with rails as I need to quote to organize delivery also to those that have shipped them what are the estimated freight cost eg Sydney->Brisbane & are they usually sent individual or together as a pair, which is more cost effective?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Another vote for Transdirect (www.transdirect.com.au).

Each month we have a container arrive, with much of it forwarded on direct to our clients. We've used several freight companies in the past, however are very impressed with Transdirect & will stick with them. We've shipped literally 100's of items through them. They also have a Transit warranty, and carbon offset built in for no additional cost.

You can use them for one-off orders, however if you do a lot of business you can get yourself an account and potentially even better rates.

In all of my experience, Transdirect ARE cheaper than Airroad, and SmartSend.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

exactly what I was thinking,

I'm not sure about a bonnet, for alot of the companies it exceeds the maximum size

so far the main ones seem to be

-air road direct = http://www.airroaddirect.com.au/

-Allied Express = http://www.alliedexpress.com.au/

-Couriers World wide = Unable to find website link that works but heres some info http://www.hotfrog.com.au/Companies/Courie...rldwide-Express

-Transit Direct =http://www.transdirect.com.au./

Grey bus's freight seem to not be able to do a bonnet size, but i think the best way to find out if they do it or not, is ring them and get a quote over the phone.

Finally, if anyone knows about which company is best to send a bonnet, as well as average price it would be a real help.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Living in Darwin, you get plenty of experience in dealing with freight companies - so here is only a brief account of some of my experiences:

TNT: Case #1 - Front and rear skyline brakes boxed up and sent from Melbourne in two boxes, plus a Holden Rodeo Grille for my brother in another box. Result = boxes opened and front brakes missing. Grille broken in several places. TNT's response = "3 x Boxes received and signed for and 3 x Boxes delivered. We didn't sign for the contents of the boxes"!!!!! And with regards to the smashed grille - the sender should have packed it more securely.

TNT Case #2 - Vehicle freighted from Brisbane to Darwin. Good price due to a mate who uses them a lot for vehicle transport making the booking. However, despite having to pay the full amount up front, the vehicle did not leave on the day it was supposed to and consequently, it sat around their depot in Brisbane for a week and arrived here one week late. Thankfully, there was no damage to the vehicle when it arrived, but I was a little p'd off about their attitude in relation to the vehicle not leaving on the date that it was booked in to leave.

Bulls Transport - The only alternative to TNT for freight from Melbourne to Darwin, but if you think TNT is expensive, then forget about this mob - as I did.

John Bain Transport (Westrans) - I have used this company for lots of stuff freighted between Brisbane and Darwin and their service and price is excellent ie. Full Bodykit @$100 or 4 x 18" alloy wheels with rubber for $52.00. Delivery takes about 4 days and I have never had any stuff damaged by them, but I'm not sure where else they go to.

Australia Post - Have had heaps of stuff sent thru Aus. Post. Delivery is fast and nothing has ever arrived damaged. Prices are reasonable and some of the pre-paid stuff is also covered for loss or damage up to $100. The only problem is that they won't deliver anything over 20kg or bigger than a large fmic.

So that's it, my worst to best in that order.

My main problem with TNT is their invoicing - in particular their bogus Account Service Fees.

I was quoted $24.19 over the phone by TNT to send a parcel Sydney to Dubbo, so I told my customer and he added that exact price onto his payment to me.

When I received the TNT invoice it was for $34.64 - the original $24.19 PLUS an account service fee of $10.45 - more than half the freight cost again! Surely this is illegal!

I refuse to pay $10.45 to someone to print an invoice - nobody else can do that - no other courier company does that - so why should they be able to get away with it? Ive just short paid my invoice and I will probably be blackbanned by TNT but Ive just bought some couriers please dockets and im happily sending things for half the price and no account service fees!