SAU Community

How to fix centre console latch.

thommo

Hey all,

Anyone else got a broken centre console latch?

You know, the little button you press to open that compartment behind the hand brake that you rest your left elbow on??

I have found on both my R33's that these were broken and didn't realise how annoying it had been till I fixed them.

Here's how I did it -

WHAT YOU WILL NEED - All you will need is a medium sized safety pin, Phillips head screwdriver and a pair of pliers.

TIME – 10 minutes.

DIFFICULTY – Piss easy! I reckon I could teach a monkey to do this.

STEP 1.

Remove console lid by undoing the 3 screws that go down into the console.

This may require a little gentle jiggling to clear the hinge springs after the screws are removed.

You should have the lid as in pic console01.

STEP 2.

Remove hinge from lid (3 screws) and all the screws (8) holding the plastic underside of the lid in place.

This will allow you to take out the latch, removing the broken bits of plastic that have been rattling round in there.

Refer pic console02.

STEP 3.

Find a medium sized safety pin, make sure that the size of the hole part on the pin is a snug fit over the latch pivot (pic console05).

Cut the head and point of the pin off, and bend with the pliers as per pics console03 & console04.

STEP 4.

Place pin within the latch as shown in the rest of the pics, then trim the pins top arm to be close to flush with the face of the plastic (pic console06).

STEP 5.

Put everything back together.

You should now have a nice firm feeling, spring loaded latch.

Hope this helps! :spank:

post-12522-1123161356.jpg

post-12522-1123161509.jpg

post-12522-1123161733.jpg

post-12522-1123161767.jpg

post-12522-1123161838.jpg

post-12522-1123161995.jpg

post-12522-1123162040.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I had the same problem, but just held the button down to close it properly"

Yep, that is what i had been doing, along with probably half the people who own an r33.

Thanks heaps guys :P

Fantastic.

I went to Nissan to order a new catch, and was told I had to order a whole new lid ($80). I was just about to ring back and confirm the order when I saw this post. Thanks a lot.

thommo - I owe you a beer next time your in Adelaide.

hehe, i will dead set hold you to that mate :P

Fantastic.

I went to Nissan to order a new catch, and was told I had to order a whole new lid ($80). I was just about to ring back and confirm the order when I saw this post. Thanks a lot.

thommo - I owe you a beer next time your in Adelaide.

$80? I called my local Nissan dealer and that quoted me $170 or something for a new lid assembely. So Thommo :)

ah tommo y didn't you come earlier, i pikt up a new lid from the wreckers. the way i did it was wedge a folded up piece of paper in between the latch and lid part. sometimes the lid still came up and i miss shifted a few times into third because my arm hit the lid and i couldn't pull the gear stick right back. Cheers.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...