SAU Community

Scratched window R32 - worn guides

Baz

On all on my windows the guides are beginning to scratch the window. Apparently there is a foam guide which wears off over time and then begins scratching the window, its either plastic or metal, while the window moves up and down. Apparently this the case on most R32's and on the GTR's when this occurs it scratches the window in two places.

This is supposed to be a fairly common thing on the R32's. Has anyone come across this and know how it can be fixed?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Scott,

I've read in the past that the guides can be adjusted in and out. The manual concurs. If there is still a little foam left on the guide, could you adjust it out to relieve pressure? As far as replacing goes, Mr Nissan is prob the only worthwhile plan.

If you suss out a part number, please post it! :( Cause mine are doing the same but now the glass rattles a little and I need some new ones so I can adjust it back, snug against the window.

Mark

mine is same.. light scratches, pretty bad on drivers side. Anybody know how to remove the scratches? How does one polish glass? Heavy duty buffer?

I've looked in there, and I can't see how it would be obviously scratching it. I can kind of see the guides, but don't see how they are putting the marks there. The best solution may be to buy some new foam, and glue it on the points there.

According to FAST there is a part called 'STAB-GLASS' for 2 door cars. I assume this is something like 'stabilsor-glass'. Anyway the PN is:

80324-04U00

but that is superceded by:

80324-04U03, but this has s different decription: BRKT STOPER (Bracket Stopper).

Can't say whether this is the right part. My GTR's drivers side glass also has scratches.

I assume a glazier can do something to fix the glass. There is one quite close to me but I just haven't had time to investigate.

I did a little research and the main methods seem to be a very lightly abrasive polishing (usually for smaller scratches), or some sort of filler that is used to fill the valleys of the scratch (for deeper scratches). The main thing is to get rid of the white colour that glass turns when scratched: at least if its clear the scratch is not so obvious.

LW.

I'm going to take the door trims off tomorrow and suss out the problem. I'll be back with what is causing the problem sometime tomorrow. Need to get it sorted before it does anymore damage.

We've used aluminium oxide and a buffing wheel to polish out minor scratches in glass.   It's also what is sometimes used to 'repair' minor scratches in windscreens.   It's a very slow process.

My scratches are probably beyond just buffing. I will try and call the local glazier tomorrow and see what the can do. Will report back with details when I get them.

LW.

I used to work with glass.

If you can grab the scratch with your nail there's no hope in fixing it.

If its simply light surface scratches then it can be buffed out fairly easily, (5-10minutes) with the right polisher.

Basically a big arsed angle grinder looking thing with a huge white polishing wheel on the end. :)

I had never used it but if you weren't carefull to continually move the polishing wheel it would put an indent in to the glass, which looks crappy and suprisingly stands out quite a bit.

I can't remember what it was called but it was a brown powder that was mixed with water and then buffed with a polishing wheel.

On the note of adjusting the windows has any one done it?

My drivers side window appears to be pointing in towards the car a little and has caused the drivers rubber to rip in the corner. :)

It was fine before the car was sprayed. They must have adjusted it incorrectly.

I have had a quick look, adjusting the closed height is easy but the horizontal movement I couldn't work out.

Mine has done the same, only the drivers side. Rubber is ripped and the window is closing way to far in. It needs to be out another half centremeter or so.

There are four nuts and screws, 2 at the top, two at the bottom. Back off the nuts so you can adjust the screws and this moves the regulator holding the glass.

Its pretty precise though, I ****ed it up, need another go :(

• 1 month later...

i reckon mine would be the worst of all of you guys, there are 3 FAT scratches all the way down at least 1-2 inches wide... :)

i dont know wtf to do

buy a new window? stick on some foam?

Add me to the list, got it on all FOUR windows, white strips about an inch wide of light scratches. I have 4 replacement pieces of glass but haven't put them in until a) I find out how to stop it happening again. B)I get them from my parents in Melb. c) I can be arsed.

I've been told that windscreen companies can clamp some sort of polisher onto the windows.

Also, be really careful if you're replacing the pads. The little plastic clips get fragile with age.

If anyone prices the pads or the clips, let me know. I've got the same problem ;)

There could be a real market for a group buy of pads by the sound of it. At least it will stop the scratches getting worse.

can they do moulds for side windows, like they can for front windows ??

I was thinking if I could get some more glass made up, might cost nearly the same as tracking down some old nissan stuff?