SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

Toyo T1-R's

Dry: 8/10

Wet: 8/10

BFB: 9/10

Brilliant. I love em. :D Under $350 a rim at 255/40/17 which i reckon is good value so high bang for buck.

yeah I forgot these....I've had a quick drive on them and was very impressed too ;)

Toyo T1-R's

Brilliant. I love em. ;) Under $350 a rim at 255/40/17 which i reckon is good value so high bang for buck.

The Toyo Proxes T1-R is simply awesome. Sat in a friend's car which has them, really stuck to the road like glue.

Dry : 9/10

Toyo T1-R's

Brilliant. I love em. :) Under $350 a rim at 255/40/17 which i reckon is good value so high bang for buck.

These are what I wanted to get but they don't have all the sizes they advertise :cheers: Wanted 265/40/17's on the back to protect the rims a bit better as the 255/40/17's look a bit narrow on 9" wide rims.

BTW prices I was quoted were 245/45/17 = $296ea & 265/40/17 = $374ea ( even though they didn't have them ). Do those prices sound about right ?

Hancook K102

Dry: 9/10

Wet: 9/10

Value for money: 10/10

Ive had 3 or 4 sets of these now, very impressed, I wanna try the K104's next time! Awesome value for money, last set were $165 per tyre 235/45/17...only thing i dont like is they dont leave much of a black mark :)

Prices sound about right. As I said, mine are 255/40/17 on 9" rims and they fit just fine. Glad to hear people agreeing with my perception of these tyres. :P

Just out of curiosity, have you ( or anyone else ) tried the Toyo TPG's ?

I'm sure the T1-R's are a better tyre but I'm wondering if the TPG's would last longer ( even at the expense of lesser traction ). I do too much commuting to wear down a set of really good tires for no good reason. Otherwise I would fit a set of Falken AZENIS RT215's since I've found an awesome price for them at $1,060 fitted and balanced (F) 235/45/17 and ® 255/40/17. :wassup:

I've found it's simply you pay for what you get. Don't expect Falken FK-451's to be at the same level as something like Bridgestone S-02/3's! And another thing is grip is one thing with tyres, but the feedback they give you also varies. Both don't always go hand in hand.

Starting at the bottom to the top

Federal 595's I think??? - Only good if your broke or need something to avoid being defected. Grip was so poor, I believe RWD cars with decent tyres had MORE grip then these tyres on my GTR. Feed back was poor and sidewalls must've been soft as rubber. Rocked like jelly!

Dry = 2

Wet = 1

Falken FK-451 - Had these on my WRX and the side walls flexed so bad it rubbed the inner guards. Had to stiffen rear swaybars to max to stop body roll and guards rubbing. Feedback was poor and car pitched significantly under braking. Only saving grace it had over the Federal's is the wet grip was slightly better.

Dry - 2

Wet - 2

Goodyear F1 - These were on the car before the Falkens. They were best in the wet, with dry being.... ok. Fedback was poor but better than the previous two.

Dry - 3

Wet - 4

Pirelli P6000 - These were alright. In the dry and feedback there were OK but in the wet they left something to be desired.

Dry - 5

wet - 3

Yokohama A-spec - These were fitted to my GTR after those Federal..... things. OK feedback and in the wet they were alright. In the dry they were good but not that good.

Dry - 6

wet - 5

Pirelli P-Zero asimmetrico - Probably the best feedback tyre I've had. Sidewalls were stiff as and feedback was better than Michelin Pilot sport, but lacked the grip... which is why it's 2nd. Under braking pedals felt they had more bite, very little body roll.

Dry - 8

Wet - 8

Bridgestone S-02 - Excellent grip I must say. Feed back was good and in the wet they were exellent.

Dry - 8

Wet - 9

Michelin Pilot Sport - WOW is the only word I'm left with. Feed back was a tad bit less than P-Zero's, but the grip was sensational! Wet, dry, redline launches, the SOB would just smile and ask "please sir, may I have some more!" Sure it'll wheel spin doing redline launches, but the way it just hooked up was amazing.

Dry - 10

Wet - 10

I've also had Continetial sports on the GTR but never really gave it a good fang around the track to give any good feedback. I also had Dunlop W-10's on the MR2 but only had it for 2 weeks because they're worn out. I've got Bridgestone Grid III on it now so we'll see how that goes.

Sorry I can't remember the prices of the tyres. It spans back over a 5 or 6 year period.

And it wouldn't be fair to rate the ware/tear rate as the S02 never saw the race track and the Pirelli P-Zero saw more track days than the Pilot sports.

No-one has posted the results of WHEELS tyre test so ...

1st - Goodyear Eagle Revspec RS-02 (99.2%)

2nd - Michelin Pilot Preceda (98.9%)

3rd - Maxxis Victra MA-Z1 (98.7%)

4th - Bridgestone Potenza S-03 (98.6%)

5th - Toyo Proxes T1R (97.6%)

6th - Yokohama AVS Sport V-102A (96.9%)

7th - BF Goodrich G-Force Sport (95.9%)

8th - Dunlop Direzza DZ 101 (94.9%)

9th - Kumho Ecsta KU19 (94.3%)

The Goodyear RS-02 won the Dry stopping and Wet cornering.

The Maxxis MA-21 won Wet stopping.

The Bridgestone S-03 won Dry cornering and Dry slalom.

I rang Tyrepower (Brighton, SA) today and was quoted on 245/40/18s (R34 GTR)

Goodyear RS-02: $490

Michelin Pilot Preceda: $550

Toyo T1R: $475

In the same size I was also quoted:

Toyo TPG: $275

Toyo RA1 (Motorsport): $525 (although the guy said these retail at $625 but was able to get a good price because he wants customer feedback on them)

We use Advan Neova's on the high speed RX7... i can happily report that it grips well at 298km/h. Apparently its popular for track use in Japan as well.

however I don't think they're sold outside of japan so if you can get your hands on em, they're well worth the money.

Wow, 5th for the T1Rs eh. I was just about to upgrade my wet weather rating from an 8/10 to a 9/10 based on recent wet weather in perth and my experiences with them. All I have to say is that if these are 5th, those tyres rated 1-4 must be un-f**king believable.

FAT32: I've not personally tried the TPG's but a lot of the guys and gals here in Perth recommended them to me which is why I went the Toyo direction in the first place.

Wow, 5th for the T1Rs eh. I was just about to upgrade my wet weather rating from an 8/10 to a 9/10 based on recent wet weather in perth and my experiences with them. All I have to say is that if these are 5th, those tyres rated 1-4 must be un-f**king believable.  

FAT32: I've not personally tried the TPG's but a lot of the guys and gals here in Perth recommended them to me which is why I went the Toyo direction in the first place.

Thanks for the feedback on the TPG's :P

Well after an exhausting amount of research, I've come up with the following prices for the sizes I need that I thought I'd share with y'all.

TOYO TPG

235/45/17 $189ea

255/40/17 $318ea

TOYO T1R

235/45/17 $289ea

255/40/17 $325ea

YOKOHAMA V102

235/45/17 $308ea

255/40/17 $370ea

FALKEN RT215

235/45/17 $250ea

255/40/17 $280ea

KUMHO KU21

235/45/17 $205ea

255/40/17 $245ea

GOODYEAR RS-02

235/45/17 $270ea

255/40/17 $389ea

CONTINENTAL Sport Contact 2

235/45/17 $307ea

255/40/17 $457ea

FALKEN FK451

245/45/17 $250ea

265/40/17 $320ea

If you have any better ( recent & genuine ) prices I'd love to hear about em :rofl:

damn 17" tyres - who uses 17" these days ;)

Those of us with a mortgage :D and a crappy job :D

I can actually remember the days when if you had 16x8" wheels you were way cool !! :kewl:

Interesting in the WHEELS test that those Maxxis came third overall and were the cheapest out of all nine.

They also had the widest tyre contact area with the road. And I think they were also the softest compound, I think.

I have actually never heard of them before. Anybody used a set or heard any other positive or negative stories about them?

I've only used three tyres:

Pirelli P7000

Yoko A539

Kumho Ecsta

Pirelli's are good, no real issues except they didn't last that long. Yoko's are ok but I only had them for a short while so I can't really comment. Kumho's are the worst. No grip what so ever, even in a straight line.

There was a set of [new] Kelly Chargers on my GTSt when I got it, just been complied.

Tread looked OK, compound felt OK. I only put up with them for less than 1000k. If you ever come across a tyre dealer giving them away for free - Don't take them,unless you have a death wish { I sold them to a bloke with a Commodore.}