SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

Yokohama ES100 265/35 R18

Dry: 8/10

Wet: 9/10

Overall: 8.5/10

I have found these to be a very good tyre, in the wet they are magic. They can be a little noisey on highway driving but nothing too serious and suprisingly I am getting quite good wear. Have done nearly 30000ks on them now, including a couple of track days and a couple of trips to the drags, and they still have quite a bit of life left in them!

Dunlop DO2G 235/45 R17

Dry: 10

I only run on these at the track days, they came with a set of rims I purchased as designated track set. Can't compare with other semis but these have an unbelievalble amount of grip at the track compared with even good road tyres. Not sure if you would try to use them on your road car cause of wear and they would be damn noisey, but the grip!

Anyone using Nankangs?? Any comments??

im using nankangs, can't really complain much. But then again i haven't really given it around corners or anything, i'd preffer to wait for a track day to do that, or get off my lazy ass and go to kangaroo point or somethin. In a straight line they seem alright, only time i've really lost traction was when they were cold and i did a rev limiter launch, a little peddaling fixed it tho.

But yea, no complaints with them as yet

Would you call Continential Sports Contact II tyres expensive ones?

I got a drive in-drive out quote on a full set of these for the GTR (17"). $1610. So yeah just a tad expensive. But they guy there said they grip like nothing else and they leave Bridgestone Potenza's for dead.

I use Sumitomo HTRZ ii (may have got those letters around the wrong way) on it at the moment, didn't have a great deal to spend and also have way too much camber on the rears that doesn't have any adjustment, so not much point spending big $$$ on tyres when they inners are going to wear out so quickly.

235/45/17 (front, due to the rims on the car cannot fit a bigger tyre, yes i know difference in tyre size can damage the diff) were $198 each fitted & balanced, 255/40/17 (rears) were $298 each fitted & balanced.

Car came over with near bald tyres on it, potenza's on the front and falken zeix on the rear. I agree with you guys in saying the zeix are shitty tyres, could explain why after a drizzle of rain I ended up going over all 3 lanes of albany hwy in multiple directions after turning a corner (and not touching the accelerator, I was driving VERY CAREFULLY)....I wouldn't go with them again after an experience like that.

I'm more than satisfied with the Sumitomo's on it now.

Edited by randominsanity73

• 2 weeks later...

17x9 wheels

firestone tyres 235/45 sport series.

got em for $130 a tyre

wet grip 7/10 suprised me that they grip and hold pretty well (AWD may have helped here.)

dry grip 8/10

For the price these are way better than nangkang nsf 1 tyres

• 2 weeks later...

235/45/17. r32. 200rwhp

bridgestone s03.

dry: 9/10

wet: 9/10 saved me once :)

value: 6/10.

kankook k104

dry: 8/10

wet: 8/10

value: 10/10.

got these for 200$ each, the s03's were over 300 so the value for the s03's is lower when compared with the results and cost of the k104's.

kumho supra ecsta (cant remembr the exact model)

will never use these again, they were so crap in both the wet and dry.

Iv used a couple of diferant ones but at the moment im using FEDERAL SS595

and i am very suprised with them.

185 each for 255/40/17 on my 32 gtr.

initial turn-in is abit vague but the harder you push the the better they hold on.

better than bridgstone s02 in my opinion.

in terms of durability they are uneqaled. given a hard time on the old pac the marble up and get really stickey. one thing i noticed is that they dont end up all ski-jumped after a good 2hr session on old pac.

so overall good points:

dont melt

very cheap

very grippy in straight line

" " " in cornering

dont squeel

quite progressive.

excelent value

bad points:

not as sharper turn-in as i would like

has any one used the new dunlop direzza dz01? at 350 each i went the above.

tread needs to be more riged

need to be pushed quite hard to get the best out of them

seem to only like about 34-36 psi (hot) any more or less =not as much grip in cornering.

overall i would highly recomend them. (not for the pussy-cat nervouse driver)

they take some getting used to.

anyone used the new dunlop DZ101 ? :P

Ben you can get them from from Gordon Leven in Sydney or Stuckeys (I think) in Victoria.

But 205/60/13? what on earth are they for, a mini? Improved Production or Production Car racing? Because if they aren't a required control tyre don't use them, they are more expensive and worse than Re55, Dunlop DZ02G etc.

yes our idea was to get them straight from jp as well, and we were organising that.

Until....since the yoko A032R are no longer being produced and we expect them to be replaced with a better tyre (they sure as hell cant be worse) we decided not to get any until the new tyre is decided on. We have a set and expect them to last the 2 cars into early next year.

We imported our targa tyres (Dunlop DZ02G) from jp and saved a packet.

I had Dunlop FM901's on my big heavy v8 commodore, and as I got more comfortable, I was able to throw it hard around tight s-bends around 80km/hr and they didn't complain one bit!

They aren't a silicone compound, so they wore very nicely... but they did smoke if you got your foot caught on two pedals at once.

Dry: 9/10 (best *i've* used, so I dunno how these scales will work)

Wet: 8/10 (very hard to let go)

Overall: 8.5?

They cost me $230 each (best price in Sydney at the time) for 16x225x60?

Just got myself a set of toyo proxes T1-R.

Damn they are good. At the drags they dont spin (too much) compared to the ziex i used to have. They are excellent in the wet, and i am a much more confident driver with them. They dont squeal like the ziex did

So for the T1-R, id say 9/10 for dry, and 9/10 for wet.

Ziex 326 - 3/10 for dry and 1/10 for wet

Yeah Dunc's I have been scouring the net for the advan 32 R and had a sneeky that they had been out dated.... hmmm

yes I need like 3 or 4 sets of the things! so if you have you contact for getting your dunlops, I'd love to make an inquiry about the price of the 205 60 13.....

$193 from gordo is a right rip!

if only they were a bridgestone control tyre! oh then I would be laughing!!!!

Ditto on the Toyo T1R's, I'm also using 255/40 R17 on my GTR, indeed they do seem to exagerate the HICAS but it's not too annoying, infact it's sometimes quite good to actually feel it rather than thinking the rear end of the car is just possesed. Dry performance is very good, i think if the car is putting out more than 450bhp though it's hard to find anything beyond having pre-warmed slicks on that won't spin up when you plant the loud pedal......especially on the NZ crappy roads!! Wet perfomance is pretty predictable (read good), no nasty moments so far, got all four fitted/aligned for NZD1000 so isn't bad for a performance tyre.