SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

I did some research into country of origin for certain tyres. High performance tyres in certain sizes are no longer manufactured in japan, germany or france. Needless to say there are no Australian mades one too as the goodyear and dunlop factories here closed down some years back.

Example, for the size 235/45ZR17 that are sold new in Australia (at least in Vic tyre stores)

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 - Made in Thailand

Bridgestone Potenza RE003 - Made in Indonesia

Continental ContiSport Contact 5 - Made in Czech Republic

Goodyear Eagle F1 - ??? (Anyone knows?)

I was told certain sizes are also made in china and other countries. Anyway it seems to be a good month to save some money if you're shopping for tyres. Apparently Bridgestone and Michelin have $100 cashback if you buy 4 tyres, and Continental have the buy 3 get 1 free special. Ends 30th this month.

I don't really see how that directly impacts the performs of the tyre.

Unless it's ling long $50 tyre.

You want budget grippy tyre, you need Nitto or kuhmo in your life.

I'm currently rocking a new set of Nitto Invo's in 255/35/18.

Love them. Great street tyre and cheap.

They are phenomenal in the wet. And whisper quiet on the freeway.

• Like 1

I did some research into country of origin for certain tyres. High performance tyres in certain sizes are no longer manufactured in japan, germany or france. Needless to say there are no Australian mades one too as the goodyear and dunlop factories here closed down some years back.

Example, for the size 235/45ZR17 that are sold new in Australia (at least in Vic tyre stores)

I was told certain sizes are also made in china and other countries. Anyway it seems to be a good month to save some money if you're shopping for tyres. Apparently Bridgestone and Michelin have $100 cashback if you buy 4 tyres, and Continental have the buy 3 get 1 free special. Ends 30th this month.

I've had two sets of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's, both made in Germany. Both sets developed cracks in inner sidewall within about a year - stay away!

Just like with other goods I reckon country of manufacture matters less and less these days, and is not a reliable indicator of quality.

I've had two sets of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's, both made in Germany. Both sets developed cracks in inner sidewall within about a year - stay away!

Just like with other goods I reckon country of manufacture matters less and less these days, and is not a reliable indicator of quality.

Yup, I just got the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (made in thailand) for my daily. No complaints so far!

It's $134 each fitted & balanced in the 235/45ZR17 Size at the moment in the tyre shops due to the Michelin $100 cashback promotion but only if you buy 4. Very good price in my opinion.

Anyway I was looking on eBay, cheap new tyres in 235/45ZR17 size as cheap as $55 each and in the 235/40ZR18 size $60 each! Would anyone care to review them? :nyaanyaa:

Yup, I just got the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (made in thailand) for my daily. No complaints so far!

It's $134 each fitted & balanced in the 235/45ZR17 Size at the moment in the tyre shops due to the Michelin $100 cashback promotion but only if you buy 4. Very good price in my opinion.

Anyway I was looking on eBay, cheap new tyres in 235/45ZR17 size as cheap as $55 each and in the 235/40ZR18 size $60 each! Would anyone care to review them? :nyaanyaa:

That is seriously cheap for PS3! It's meant to be a very good tyre.

That is seriously cheap for PS3! It's meant to be a very good tyre.

Yes it is, but you need to buy 4 in order to enjoy the $100 cashback discount, else it's $159 per tyre, which is still a good price. Promotion finishes end of this month I think. Come to think of it, tyre prices have generally dropped since I created this thread over 10 years ago. Back in those days we had to pay $200 a corner for some nasty Falken crap as compared to now when you can now get Michelin PS3 for $134 in the same size. Not everything goes up in price i guess!

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 :

Dry : 8/10

Wet : 8.5/10

Size : 235/45/17

Price & Value for Money : Currently $134 each fitted and balance, 9.5/10 due to current promotion, else 9/10

Comments : Was a bit apprehensive to get them as they are made in Thailand, but was assured by various sources quality is similar to those made in Germany. Great tyre so far!

Kumho Ecsta 4x SU22 :

Dry : 5/10

Wet : 6.5/10

Price & Value for Money : 5.5/10. They were already on my daily when I bought it. Seen them on eBay for just under $100 each but that's without postage and fitting. I would imagine they go for around $130-150 each fitted and balanced in the tyre shops.

Comments : A mid range tyre that's supposedly suited for all weather types, even a bit of snow. Average traction in the dry, decent in the wet. But if they cost $130-150 fitted and balanced, I'd be looking at Michelin PS3 or the Bridgestone RE003 which are better value for money.

Sumitomo HTR Z III :

Dry : 6/10

Wet : 6/10

Price & Value for Money : 5/10. Currently $175 each fitted and balanced.

Comments : I was surprised to find out these tyres are still available as I had them on my Mitsubishi GTO MR over 5 years ago. Not a bad tyre but nothing special in my opinion. Again, with the quoted price, better options in the market.

Dunlop SP Sport 01 :

Dry : 6/10

Wet : 6/10

Size : 245/40/18

Price & Value for Money : 4/10. Currently $330 each fitted and balanced. More expensive than Michelin PS3 in the same size.

Comments : I also tried this on my GTO some years back. Lots of squealing and understeer when pushed hard in the corners. Expensive but nothing great at all. Like going to an expensive restaurant, not having a fantastic experience and wishing you had eaten at the local fish and chip shop instead.

• Like 2

aren't they though.

Update on the RE003's - after another month into them I now consider them pretty shit. Slight slide or traction loss in situations where the Invo's even with 9000k's on them, would have held firm, so hate to think what they will be like in 5000 k's time. Would not buy again.

• Like 1

see that's a similar story with the RE003's that I read heaps of good reviews on - I had a good experience with the Pilot Sport 3's in similar performance range as the Invo's but not quite as good, but that was when even when on special they were $200-something - wonder if the experience would be anywhere near the same with a cheaper-priced product.

• 1 month later...

got the new version of RSR's last week, the Federal RSRR. Godamnn they're seriously the noisiest tyre I've ever used, sounds like worn wheel bearings lol, but - wow what a great value tyre at $180 fitted and balanced for a 255/40/17. Mountain drive on the weekend and great grip on them, not even a hint of slip, if they're anything like the rsr's they won't last long but at that price, still great value for the performance given.

PS the re003's are still bloody average. Go invo's instead in similar price range.

• 3 weeks later...

Running Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R on the standard V-Spec wheels and they are amazing in the dry and wet! Unfortunately cannot find them for sale at local shops so have to import from USA.

Just did a track day on AD08R. Would have to agree they are as awesome as everyone says they are. Warm up quickly and are consistent throughout the session, I set my fastest lap on the 9th flying lap. They are very progressive and communicate well. I felt like they where talking to me with the amount of squeeling they do. Lol. On the street they are quiet as a mouse, unlike the Achilles 123s they replaced and the previous federal rsr. They are also decent tyres and punch above their belt but the ad08 is on a different level altogether. The buy 3 get 1 free yokohama offer makes them reasonably priced atm as well.

• Like 2

has anyone actually compared the RSRR to the RS3 in the wet? 

i have had about 4 sets of RSR due to bang for buck on my S15..

so im lining up a set of 595 RSRR pricing atm, and pretty keen on them, unless someone can sway me towards the RS-3 :)

got a set of RE003 on the xr5 stock, and they are an awesome all round street tires :)

On 7/24/2016 at 7:09 PM, hardsteppa said:

got the new version of RSR's last week, the Federal RSRR. Godamnn they're seriously the noisiest tyre I've ever used, sounds like worn wheel bearings lol, but - wow what a great value tyre at $180 fitted and balanced for a 255/40/17. Mountain drive on the weekend and great grip on them, not even a hint of slip, if they're anything like the rsr's they won't last long but at that price, still great value for the performance given.

PS the re003's are still bloody average. Go invo's instead in similar price range.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on how they hold up in the skyline. Spoke to a bloke a few months ago who said the RR suffer the same fate as the old 595 in that they go hard and slippery. But he also mentioned they were fine on lighter cars and didn't have the same problems.

Interesting, my experience with the rsrs is they held grip right down to the bottom of tread, something other tyres haven't, they just only lasted 8000odd k's. Will see how these go, so far so good and solid in the wet the other week.

12 hours ago, n0nac said:

has anyone actually compared the RSRR to the RS3 in the wet? 

i have had about 4 sets of RSR due to bang for buck on my S15..

so im lining up a set of 595 RSRR pricing atm, and pretty keen on them, unless someone can sway me towards the RS-3 :)

got a set of RE003 on the xr5 stock, and they are an awesome all round street tires :)

Why not price up some Ad08R. There is a buy 3 get 1 free offer running atm and Bob Jane does some pretty sharp pricing. I bought a set in 265/35/18 and they where cheaper than RS3 and not too much more than RSRR in the same size. Food for thought.