SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

This weeks bills... rego shocks, tie-rod ends, caster arm bushes, and tyres, would love to go some 17 enkeis but wallet is buckling under the strain of a 25 year old car.

got some quotes for PS3 and best I was offered was $213 a corner, so will probably go with the RE003s @ $115 a corner, they cant be that bad?

• 2 months later...

not really performance related but a tyre review nevertheless

Tyre: Hankook Ventus S1 Noble^2
Size: 205/50/17
Car: Mazda 3 SP25 BL
Comparison Tyre on Same Car: Bridgestone RE002

Quietness: 8/10 - day night difference in terms of noise compared to the RE002
Acceleration Grip Performance: 7/10 - decent grip, mash throttle with VSC off very little spin, nearly no spin, RE002 (old) would fry and make smoke
Lateral Grip: 6/10 - not as good as the RE002, feels the side walls are much softer - however need to remember these are commuter tyres.
Value: 8/10 - at $145 per corner installed, it's pretty good (yes I know right now you can get RE003 for $195 each - not fitted and 3 for 4 deal)

Overall, decent quiet tyre for daily use. Appears to be decent with grip, although they're brand new.. give it a few months and I'll give an update.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

not really performance related but a tyre review nevertheless

Tyre: Hankook Ventus S1 Noble^2
Size: 205/50/17
Car: Mazda 3 SP25 BL
Comparison Tyre on Same Car: Bridgestone RE002

Quietness: 8/10 - day night difference in terms of noise compared to the RE002
Acceleration Grip Performance: 7/10 - decent grip, mash throttle with VSC off very little spin, nearly no spin, RE002 (old) would fry and make smoke
Lateral Grip: 6/10 - not as good as the RE002, feels the side walls are much softer - however need to remember these are commuter tyres.
Value: 8/10 - at $145 per corner installed, it's pretty good (yes I know right now you can get RE003 for $195 each - not fitted and 3 for 4 deal)

Overall, decent quiet tyre for daily use. Appears to be decent with grip, although they're brand new.. give it a few months and I'll give an update.

Excellent! I was looking at these for my wagon, I want a quiet, decent tyre (staying away from Potenza).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Anyone got feedback on the Michelin PS4's yet? getting fantastic reviews overseas on other cars. Can't find anything for a dieline though.

Would also love to know this, as I have PS3s on my Stagea and love them.

On my wagon, I changed out the Momo M3 (1 year old) to Hankook K120 (Ventus V12 Evo2).

$160 per tyre fitted via tyresales (very easy to use, got them fitted by Subaru service centre on 30th Dec).

Much quieter and nicer ride compared to the M3. Grip wise I haven't pushed it but it has plenty. 320 wear rating so should last quite a few kilometres.

The Momo M3 were so noisy and harsh, but expected from an $80 tyre.

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:38 PM, Anfanee said:

Anyone got feedback on the Michelin PS4's yet? getting fantastic reviews overseas on other cars. Can't find anything for a dieline though.

I read good reviews on them too, but - all comes back to what sort of driving you will do. They are still a 'street' tyre so don't have the larger side blocks like RS3's do so won't last too long if used for mountain roads, track etc...although i'm sure will grip like sh&t for everyday commuting.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have a R31, Wagon, and have on it "Rockstone" 195 70 R14 tyres, I believe they are made by "HANKOOK" or so my tyre reseller stated.

In the dry they are a  7/10

In the wet they are a  2/10**

**(I do have a 6 cylinder engine, so maybe that makes a difference, but it should not.)

I have previously used "HANKOOK" tyres and found them most satisfactory either in the Dry OR the Wet, so I am disappointed with these current tyres and trading them

in as soon as possible, my life and that of my wife's is too important to trust this name. Would not recommend.

Would welcome any recommendations anyone has?  Regards, Bigbob

rockstone are in the same league as triangle and ....well anything very basic. their shit.

not sure why they would get a look in when nankangs and the likes give so much bang for buck.

4 hours ago, GH05T said:

rockstone are in the same league as triangle and ....well anything very basic. their shit.

not sure why they would get a look in when nankangs and the likes give so much bang for buck.

I agree they are rubbish, but my reseller assured me of their good quality, what do you recommend for my R31?? I am on a pension so it needs

to be reasonalby low priced, but would welcome your guidelines.  Bigbob

1 hour ago, niZmO_Man said:

Hey mate, try looking on tyresales, you might find something decent for $100 or maybe less. Stay away from those no names.

Hankook, Toyo, Kuhmo, look for those brands. Sometimes you can find Bridgestone, Yokohama and Dunlops on sale.

Hu Nizmo, Thank you for your advice, I have been looking around and found that KUMHO are fairly common tyres, is there anything in particular I should look out for? I do not wish to get caught again by someone out to make a quick buck, with no regard to my safety. There's a KH17 and a KH27 pattern for KUMHO's  but I do not know what that means other than a pattern. Any suggestions?

I recommend KU31 if you can find it in your size. My brother has KH17 KH25 on his Corolla and they're excellent touring/everyday driving tyre (even in the rain).

KU36 is unnecessary.

Are you running the standard R31 wheels? 185/65/14 tyre size?

Edited by niZmO_Man
Corrected tyre model