SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

15 minutes ago, admS15 said:

Interesting, Ive also been running ad08r. I find their grip on the street wet and dry acceptable and pretty phenomenal on the track (dry) for a street tyre. I've done 2.5 track days on them and around 7000km daily driving on track focused alignment and they still look to be around 75-80%. I did flip them after the track days and have since gone to A050 for track. I only managed to go 1.6 secs quicker on the A050. The difference was a lot more front end grip and a touch more rear. Greg, what year production where yours, are they the latest version? Overall I think the ad08r is an awesome all round tyre, but since I now have a second set of wheels now with dedicated track tyres, I'll probably just buy cheaper performance Street tyres next time around. Also interested in the NS2R's

From memory mine were 2-3 years old when they went on, which isn't critically messed up, but they were new, still had stickers and cling wrap and all that. Just heard stories that people would last 40,000kms on them or something similar, but it certainly doesn't appear that way for me and I DONT drive around the streets like a hoon. I reckon in that 8000kms on the rear I may have given it a squirt at most a handful of times, not breaking traction either.

The only reason the fronts are sort of still semi-OK is because the inner shoulder is literally flattened out from camber wear. If I had less camber I'd wager they would be toast as well down the center.

THey'd be worth the money if they lasted a bit longer, but I too was thinking about getting a 2nd set of track tyres in the future. So something that is 90% as "good" as an AD08R but lasted considerably longer would be a good street bet for me, and maybe less camber and more rotation of tyres. Only running -2deg  up front mind you though.

Does anything fit the bill here in 2017?

From memory mine were 2-3 years old when they went on, which isn't critically messed up, but they were new, still had stickers and cling wrap and all that. Just heard stories that people would last 40,000kms on them or something similar, but it certainly doesn't appear that way for me and I DONT drive around the streets like a hoon. I reckon in that 8000kms on the rear I may have given it a squirt at most a handful of times, not breaking traction either.
The only reason the fronts are sort of still semi-OK is because the inner shoulder is literally flattened out from camber wear. If I had less camber I'd wager they would be toast as well down the center.

THey'd be worth the money if they lasted a bit longer, but I too was thinking about getting a 2nd set of track tyres in the future. So something that is 90% as "good" as an AD08R but lasted considerably longer would be a good street bet for me, and maybe less camber and more rotation of tyres. Only running -2deg  up front mind you though.
Does anything fit the bill here in 2017?

So far, I've had federal rsr, Achilles 123s and the ad08r. The ad08r have lasted the best out of those. I'm happy with price and grip of rsr but the noise. NS2R is on my shortlist for sure, unless I find another ripper deal on Yokohamas. I'm even considering nankang ar1 as my next track tyre[emoji87]

Post is also in the V36 section, but I am moving more towards tyre choices now, rather than trying to see what others have done specifically for V36 coupe tyre sizes.

Car: 2010 V36 Coupe SP Manual

Mods: Minimal other than whiteline adjustable sway bars.

Replacing: RE050A.

Looking for a decent street tyre that will see one or two track days at wakefield in the next 2 years. I'm OK with waiting for warmth in the tyre, but don't really want something that has to be driven hard to get grip into it as I had some of them on the S15. It's coming into winter now otherwise I wouldn't have cared... But I want something reasonably sticky so not prepared for anything less than the grip level of the RE050A's.

Tyre sizes are making this a harder choice. OEM 225/45/19 and 245/40/19. Front rims 8.5 inch and rear 9 inch.

Looking at combo's 245/40/19 and 265/35/19 (about 1% smaller, 275 a little wide and will fit but not ideal i feel). 235/45/19 and 255/40 (good choice as F&R are both 1% taller). Speedo already reads 7% over (so 100 on the speedo is only 93 or so but this isn't a big decider).

- PS4 no combo of sizes suitable, as in only the rear size, so ruling them out.

- Invo's heard mixed opinions so ruling them out to make it easier.

- Super Sports seem fairly decent reviews. Super sports would mean 245/40/19 on front and probably 265/35/19 on rear (275/35/19 is pushing the limit on 9 inch wheel and don't want to increase sidewall roll but they are also available). Around $1500 for all 4. 

- All sounding OK except the PS4S improved in a lot of areas over the super sports... they will land in July (estimate) so there will be a better replacement soon damn why did I need to read that :) . Why can't the PS4S be here already????????? Would have made the decision easy. Imported they are about $1900 in stock sizes so the most expensive option in my options so far.

- AD08R can't seem to locate anything suitable for my sizes unfortunately.

- S001 are meant to be OK, but some not so positive reports for bridgstone although mainly positive so not sure what to think here. 1% up in diameter both front and rear (235/45/19 and 255/40/19) so speedo getting closer to right. Sizes are OK. $1200

- Hankook RS3 in the only option suitable of 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 for $948. Cheapest decent tyre. Some mixed reports, but overall OK. Some reports of not having a lot of traction which is making me hesitate a little. The rear tyre size are pushing the limits of what I would like and no 265/35 available. Not many other combo's to stay close or as per OEM rolling diameter for them.

- RE050A's well I don't really want to buy them again. Supposedly some like them, but not generally regarded as a great tyre. Hard for me to compare as they are the only ones I have had on it.

So now I am down to the PS4S (imported), the S001's and the RS3's... Or wait for the PS4S to come here. Currently the PS4S are twice the RS3's and the S001's sit in the middle. Happy to be corrected on pour choices or comments above.

Edited by Pete_Repeat
  • Like 1

I've driven RS-3 in the rain many times (on my car), they grip very well. Sadly hard to get sizes in 19".

RE050 is an excellent street tyre, but I think they'd go past their effective range on the track.

What about NT-05?

I was going to say check the below thread with positive AR-1 feedback, but then I realised you've already been in that thread... $130 seems like fallen off the back of a truck price, which means awesome bang for buck! contemplating these for my next set of track tyres (KU36 currently) at $190 a pop on ebay though (225/45/16).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTofuS-T said:

I was going to say check the below thread with positive AR-1 feedback, but then I realised you've already been in that thread... $130 seems like fallen off the back of a truck price, which means awesome bang for buck! contemplating these for my next set of track tyres (KU36 currently) at $190 a pop on ebay though (225/45/16).

thanks! knew i had posted about it somewhere else. couldnt find it... and yes name cant be said :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/05/2017 at 3:54 PM, Pete_Repeat said:

Post is also in the V36 section, but I am moving more towards tyre choices now, rather than trying to see what others have done specifically for V36 coupe tyre sizes.

Car: 2010 V36 Coupe SP Manual

Mods: Minimal other than whiteline adjustable sway bars.

Replacing: RE050A.

Looking for a decent street tyre that will see one or two track days at wakefield in the next 2 years. I'm OK with waiting for warmth in the tyre, but don't really want something that has to be driven hard to get grip into it as I had some of them on the S15. It's coming into winter now otherwise I wouldn't have cared... But I want something reasonably sticky so not prepared for anything less than the grip level of the RE050A's.

Tyre sizes are making this a harder choice. OEM 225/45/19 and 245/40/19. Front rims 8.5 inch and rear 9 inch.

Looking at combo's 245/40/19 and 265/35/19 (about 1% smaller, 275 a little wide and will fit but not ideal i feel). 235/45/19 and 255/40 (good choice as F&R are both 1% taller). Speedo already reads 7% over (so 100 on the speedo is only 93 or so but this isn't a big decider).

- PS4 no combo of sizes suitable, as in only the rear size, so ruling them out.

- Invo's heard mixed opinions so ruling them out to make it easier.

- Super Sports seem fairly decent reviews. Super sports would mean 245/40/19 on front and probably 265/35/19 on rear (275/35/19 is pushing the limit on 9 inch wheel and don't want to increase sidewall roll but they are also available). Around $1500 for all 4. 

- All sounding OK except the PS4S improved in a lot of areas over the super sports... they will land in July (estimate) so there will be a better replacement soon damn why did I need to read that  . Why can't the PS4S be here already????????? Would have made the decision easy. Imported they are about $1900 in stock sizes so the most expensive option in my options so far.

- AD08R can't seem to locate anything suitable for my sizes unfortunately.

- S001 are meant to be OK, but some not so positive reports for bridgstone although mainly positive so not sure what to think here. 1% up in diameter both front and rear (235/45/19 and 255/40/19) so speedo getting closer to right. Sizes are OK. $1200

- Hankook RS3 in the only option suitable of 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 for $948. Cheapest decent tyre. Some mixed reports, but overall OK. Some reports of not having a lot of traction which is making me hesitate a little. The rear tyre size are pushing the limits of what I would like and no 265/35 available. Not many other combo's to stay close or as per OEM rolling diameter for them.

- RE050A's well I don't really want to buy them again. Supposedly some like them, but not generally regarded as a great tyre. Hard for me to compare as they are the only ones I have had on it.

So now I am down to the PS4S (imported), the S001's and the RS3's... Or wait for the PS4S to come here. Currently the PS4S are twice the RS3's and the S001's sit in the middle. Happy to be corrected on pour choices or comments above.

With the v36 i think you can go max 20mm bigger than factory to be safe.  If its a daily with occasional track i would go with michelin pilot sport 2, i think they are cheaper than the 4 from what i saw

11 minutes ago, R377 said:

With the v36 i think you can go max 20mm bigger than factory to be safe.  If its a daily with occasional track i would go with michelin pilot sport 2, i think they are cheaper than the 4 from what i saw

if you gonna rip through semis for everyday use in a couple of years, st george have some cheap tyres manufactured a few years ago (check dates)

http://www.stgeorgetyres.com.au/tyres/productstyres.aspx

245 and 265 have some good options - federal and toyo are cheap also

6 hours ago, Adz2332 said:

have a full set of 265s ar1s will be trying them out in a bout a month at a track day will report back of what i think of them

Mallalla ?

what mods u got for 383 kw !!!  ?

On 01/03/2017 at 9:16 PM, kingtube69 said:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (Initial review) 

Dry Grip: 9/10
Wet Grip: 9/10
Value for money: 8/10
Wear: NFI yet

I swapped from the Rotalla to the MPS4 and there is a massive difference, so much more predictability and so much more stability in the wet. So far I have done about 500kms and they don't disappoint. I'll post an update eventually once I have wound up some more kms on the tyres. 

have you done any track days yet ?

There is a shop here in adelaide that sell nankang

235/40R18 Ns2r $140ea
Ar1 $155ea
265/35R18 Ns2r $150ea
Ar1$160ea