SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

1 hour ago, niZmO_Man said:

I recommend KU31 if you can find it in your size. My brother has KH17 on his Corolla and they're excellent touring/everyday driving tyre (even in the rain).

KU36 is unnecessary.

Are you running the standard R31 wheels? 185/65/14 tyre size?

Yes just the size that came with the vehicle, I have currently 195 70/14 tyres at the moment, but they are horrible (dangerous in the wet).

5 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

I recommend KU31 if you can find it in your size. My brother has KH17 on his Corolla and they're excellent touring/everyday driving tyre (even in the rain).

KU36 is unnecessary.

I tried to find the KU31 for my size and it is not available, only R16 & R17 sizes.   :(

you can get good tires in 185/65

kumho, dunlop, pirellies all around $100 a tire or less.

just find a reputable tire place and tell them you hate the cheap shit, tell them your budget and buy something half decent.

1 hour ago, niZmO_Man said:

Yes I am near the Airport, and I have looked at the Hankook, currently interested in the Dunlop SP SPORT LM704 . (They have a good name.)

17 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

Any of known brand names will be better than the cheapie on your car at the moment.

Your right, I have decided to go with the Kumho 27, tyre, and should get them on Thursday, with a front end alignment.

Edited by Bigbob
Additional info

On 01/27/2017 at 10:17 AM, niZmO_Man said:

KU36 is unnecessary.

CORRECTION: tyre is KH25

20 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

Yes running the standard wheels, and I have just had put on them KUMHO KH27's, they seem quiet, and seem to hold the wet well,  (it was raining here this morning) and travel very well down the freeway, and stop quite good, I'm impressed.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (Initial review) 

Dry Grip: 9/10
Wet Grip: 9/10
Value for money: 8/10
Wear: NFI yet

I swapped from the Rotalla to the MPS4 and there is a massive difference, so much more predictability and so much more stability in the wet. So far I have done about 500kms and they don't disappoint. I'll post an update eventually once I have wound up some more kms on the tyres. 

• Like 3

On 05/02/2017 at 9:14 PM, niZmO_Man said:

Yes running the standard wheels, and I have just had put on them KUMHO KH27's, they seem quiet, and seem to hold the wet well,  (it was raining here this morning) and travel very well down the freeway, and stop quite good, I'm impressed.

Thanks Kingtube for your input, I think it is important to provide input when there is a group of manufacturers and fitters, just out for the "buck" or "$" only.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/03/2017 at 9:16 PM, kingtube69 said:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (Initial review) 

Dry Grip: 9/10
Wet Grip: 9/10
Value for money: 8/10
Wear: NFI yet

I swapped from the Rotalla to the MPS4 and there is a massive difference, so much more predictability and so much more stability in the wet. So far I have done about 500kms and they don't disappoint. I'll post an update eventually once I have wound up some more kms on the tyres. 

Thanks, I am considering these for next time i need tyres as i read good things about these Pilot Sport 4.

Looks like we have similar setup/tastes i have a s2 r33 gtst with hypergear turbo making 280rwkw

• 2 weeks later...

So unfortunately the time had come to remove my beloved RE-71R's since the rubber was getting extremely low and I wanted to stick with Bridgestone since the RE-71R still isn't sold here yet, So after reading reviews etc I decided to go with the RE-003, mainly because they only cost me $170 per tyre and I'll be getting 18's soon, so had to keep it civil.. 

Initial impressions are that they slip quite a bit easier! In the wet in RWD I could never get the RE-71R's to spin in 2nd gear, with the RE-003's, I did a 3rd gear pull from 100km/h up to 140 and they broke traction with ease which was unexpected from a stock GTR.. I'll have to drive them around in the dry to get a better impression (and probably get the skin off).

Bridgestone Potenza RE-003

Dry Grip: N/A (Still raining)
Wet Grip: 6/10
Value for money: 7/10
Wear: N/A

Like I mentioned, I'll be going 18's in the next month or 2 so I can fit my R35 brakes, So didn't see much point in spending $350 per tyre for the V-spec wheels

Got a set of Nankang NS-2R in 120TW for my daily driver - RS Megane Cup. $155ea fitted for 235/40/18.

Dry grip: 8/10 - noticeably better than RS3, KU36 etc
Wet: 7/10
Value: 8/10
Wear: Unknown at this stage but expect at least 6-12mths of daily use. 2-3 sets for the price of say one set of MPSSs.

They're noisy but not unbearably so.

• 1 month later...

^--- keen to know how they go.

I currently have AD08R's and I'm not really very happy with them. Rears were toast from new with 8000km of driving and a track day. Fronts are at 12k now and aren't looking too hot.

I don't mind changing tyres more often if it turns out more economical. Was thinking RS3 but if the NS2R's do better and last a year, it'd be interesting to see.
Anyone else feel like confirming if RS3's really only last half as long as an AD08R?

^--- keen to know how they go.
I currently have AD08R's and I'm not really very happy with them. Rears were toast from new with 8000km of driving and a track day. Fronts are at 12k now and aren't looking too hot.
I don't mind changing tyres more often if it turns out more economical. Was thinking RS3 but if the NS2R's do better and last a year, it'd be interesting to see.
Anyone else feel like confirming if RS3's really only last half as long as an AD08R?

Interesting, Ive also been running ad08r. I find their grip on the street wet and dry acceptable and pretty phenomenal on the track (dry) for a street tyre. I've done 2.5 track days on them and around 7000km daily driving on track focused alignment and they still look to be around 75-80%. I did flip them after the track days and have since gone to A050 for track. I only managed to go 1.6 secs quicker on the A050. The difference was a lot more front end grip and a touch more rear. Greg, what year production where yours, are they the latest version? Overall I think the ad08r is an awesome all round tyre, but since I now have a second set of wheels now with dedicated track tyres, I'll probably just buy cheaper performance Street tyres next time around. Also interested in the NS2R's