SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

4 hours ago, Hadouken said:

Nt01 vs AR1. I would say they are on par.

Was looking for some new fronts for our track car today, and was surprised that in our size (245/40R18) the AR-1's were more expensive than both NT01's & R888R's - by a fair margin. I ordered a pair of the R888R's.

They start making noises and become greasy. But that's when they are so hit pressures are off the gauge. Lol.

Ummm sorry to hear that whoever you got quoted off is trying to rip you. But I paid $240 for 245/45/17 nt01s and I paid $150 for 235/40/17 AR1s

Was looking for some new fronts for our track car today, and was surprised that in our size (245/40R18) the AR-1's were more expensive than both NT01's & R888R's - by a fair margin. I ordered a pair of the R888R's.
How much where you quote? I paid 205 each fitted for 265/35/18

Cheapest I could find for 245/40R18 AR-1's was $310 each, plus fitting. Other sizes are cheaper, but we want to run the widest tyre we can on our 8" front rims, so that means 245. Bought the same size in R888R for $250 each, and could have had NT01s for a similar price.

Nankang pricing was taken from Sleekaspares in Adelaide (and on Ebay).

1 hour ago, admS15 said:

I paid 205 each fitted for 265/35/18

Where was this from? 

Where was this from? 

Associated tyre service, Cheltenham, Victoria. I found them and got that price through the tyrecompare.com website. When i called randomly they said 225 but then i pointed out the website price which they honoured.

2 hours ago, admS15 said:

Associated tyre service, Cheltenham, Victoria. I found them and got that price through the tyrecompare.com website. When i called randomly they said 225 but then i pointed out the website price which they honoured.

Thanks - had a look at the tyrecompare website but no pricing listed for the AR-1's in SA. 

4 hours ago, ActionDan said:

I got mine here.

Thanks Dan - contacted them today and they want $310 for 245/40R18's.

I know this is a new(ish) size for Au, I was looking earlier this year and could only get 235 in 18's.

There are several different width 18's on ebay that are considerably cheaper - 265/35 for $240 & 225/40 for $224, but 265 won't fit my front rims & 225 is too skinny.

3 hours ago, ActionDan said:

245 is an awkward and expensive size

Only in Nankangs it would seem - have never had issues with Nittos, and now Toyos are readily available & well priced. Not sure about awkward either - 8" is a very common rim width, and 245 is the widest that can (should) go on an 8" rim.

Only minor PB improvement which was disappointing as they are wider and supposedly sticker. This is compared to 6yr old thrased 235 RS-R. 

However, first session was wet, car had misfire, second session was dry and i shaved off some tenths on the PB without thinking I was going that fast, 3rd session I made a camber/damper adjustment which felt probably better in some ways, worse in others, but got held up in traffic on each hot lap then busted the car (minor).

There's definitely more in it, but I was not immediately blown away. 

I also think I made the mistake of running too low hot pressures, around 34ish. They also seem like to firmer damper settings. 

Can see the driver side cops it worse at this track, anti-clockwise with a highish speed continuous right hander. 

I feel like I could have done the same thing on 255 RS-RR, which will last longer and cost less. 

It was also a hotter day than my last PB, despite rain it was still 30 degrees. 

Wont get another go til next year and by then will have made other changes to the car. Will aim for higher hot temps. 

Dirt on the outside is from driving onto grass to load car. 

20171126_204908.jpg

20171126_205020.jpg

Edited by ActionDan