SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

How long do they wear (the 07rs?) given their treadwear they are walking into a R comp land fairly frequently. They are 140TW (not 180 to correct myself).

How about prices on the RE71RS? Any other newcomers that you're aware of? I see reviews of Falkens etc overseas, but there seems to be no availability at all in Australia land.

I ask because every car community looks to have their own little groups of tyre brands they recommend and it doesnt seem to bleed across much, the Skyline people use Skyline recommended tyres, MX5 people use their own 'known' brands, see also: Euro car people... What other VW nuggets of wisdom can you provide?

On 15/01/2022 at 2:48 PM, Kinkstaah said:

How long do they wear (the 07rs?) given their treadwear they are walking into a R comp land fairly frequently. They are 140TW (not 180 to correct myself).

How about prices on the RE71RS? Any other newcomers that you're aware of? I see reviews of Falkens etc overseas, but there seems to be no availability at all in Australia land.

I ask because every car community looks to have their own little groups of tyre brands they recommend and it doesnt seem to bleed across much, the Skyline people use Skyline recommended tyres, MX5 people use their own 'known' brands, see also: Euro car people... What other VW nuggets of wisdom can you provide?

On the road? No idea as they die on the track first. I get 3-4 events out of the fronts if I can't rotate them. Depending upon how many laps I do. Guys with lighter cars get more. GTI is no lightweight at 1400kg stripped with me in it and a full tank. On my car they like 29-30psi, any more and they get destroyed. They will maintain that pressure for the whole day once dialled in. Honestly if you want a dual duty tyre I think they are the best you can get for the pace you get from them. Some people seem to have some really bad experiences with them though. I think they have some quality inconsistencies. I've never had an issue.

I think the RE71RS cost me about $350 each for 18s. Can't remember exactly.

Yes yanks seem to love the RT660 which we don't get. Most prefer it to the A052 because it's a lot cheaper and lasts longer but better than everything else.

• 2 months later...

All i can add is i daily it on M&H Racemasters. Good tyre, excellent value for money from a drag radial perspective compared to the mickey thompson and hoosier stables. Seem to wear ok, stick like shart to ya mums favourite blanket

Makes the traffic light derby even more lulz against the veehate brigades

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2022 at 11:07 AM, BK said:

Any feedback on new Advan AD09R yet ?

No, but this is also of great interest to me (unless I will need to remove my other kidney to get them). I have been swearing black and blue that I will be going back to the AD08R after my recent dalliances with RS4s and the like. A new AD0xR seems long overdue and worth experimenting with (by me) regardless of reviews.

On 5/3/2022 at 11:07 AM, BK said:

Any feedback on new Advan AD09R yet ?

Oh you rotten tease. There's absolutely no evidence that they will be coming to Australia. Japan only right now and maybe Europe. So fingers will have to remain crossed that they Yoko Oz bring them in.

On 03/05/2022 at 11:51 AM, GTSBoy said:

Oh you rotten tease. There's absolutely no evidence that they will be coming to Australia. Japan only right now and maybe Europe. So fingers will have to remain crossed that they Yoko Oz bring them in.

Yes they are 👍

Screenshot_20220503-122502_Chrome.thumb.jpg.18adb52cf3b2419e24182a2a7f00779f.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/186309894808542/

On 5/3/2022 at 12:16 PM, GTSBoy said:

No, but this is also of great interest to me (unless I will need to remove my other kidney to get them). I have been swearing black and blue that I will be going back to the AD08R after my recent dalliances with RS4s and the like. A new AD0xR seems long overdue and worth experimenting with (by me) regardless of reviews.

Its funny, I have sworn the exact opposite, the AD08R has been dead to me for a long while in a world where a RS4 exists. Maybe the AD09 will sway the balance again! I'll let you decide.

On 5/3/2022 at 12:27 PM, BK said:

Yes they are 👍

Well, that's good news. I suppose my absolute 100% ban on having anything to do with bookface makes it hard to find out about a lot of things these days.

On 03/05/2022 at 12:57 PM, Kinkstaah said:

Its funny, I have sworn the exact opposite, the AD08R has been dead to me for a long while in a world where a RS4 exists. Maybe the AD09 will sway the balance again! I'll let you decide.

That's really interesting to hear. I've too gone with the Hankook RS4 on both of the 32 GTRs as the AD08R alternative, but the 33GTR is on the AD08R and I cannot say I've ever used a better tyre.

As soon as I switched to the AD08R I started winning the Motorkhana events, so I for one cannot wait for the 09R !

On 03/05/2022 at 1:08 PM, GTSBoy said:

Well, that's good news. I suppose my absolute 100% ban on having anything to do with bookface makes it hard to find out about a lot of things these days.

Same, not on the Facebook either. It's pretty sad when Facebook for companies is more useful than their websites regarding information.

On 5/3/2022 at 1:15 PM, BK said:

Same, not on the Facebook either. It's pretty sad when Facebook for companies is more useful than their websites regarding information

I'm not only not on it, but I refuse to click any link that takes me there.

• Haha 1

On 5/3/2022 at 1:45 PM, BK said:

That's really interesting to hear. I've too gone with the Hankook RS4 on both of the 32 GTRs as the AD08R alternative, but the 33GTR is on the AD08R and I cannot say I've ever used a better tyre.

As soon as I switched to the AD08R I started winning the Motorkhana events, so I for one cannot wait for the 09R !

Tbh while I've used both, the AD08R left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth through the 2-3 sets I've used. I know the RS4 doesn't tend to cycle as well, while the 08R is basically as-new until cords, but when they cost 50% more and may offer 0.5% more better performance (though they lose most direct tests - maybe when RS4 is ultra brand new) for 0 more longevity I can't help but just feel they're overpriced for what they are.

If money was no object I'd get them, but tbh if money was no object I'd probably daily pilot sport cup 2's 😛

• 10 months later...

So im in the market for some new tyres for the R33. the car is mainly street driven, with the ambitions of the odd track day in the future. some of the tyres im looking at:

Hankook RS4

Hankook K117

Toyo Proxes Sport

Falken FK510

I know the RS4 is a semi slick tyre, so im a little concerned about its performance when street driving on cold tyres in the wet ie. if i decide to drive to work in the 33 in the middle of winter (NZ based, no snow). does anyone have any experience and or thoughts on the above tyres?

RS4 is not a semi-slick

They are good summer tyres

Dry grip is good, price is good, tyre life is good

They, like most good summer performance tyres, are average in the cold and wet conditions 

I rate them for the street, you just need to be careful in cold and wet conditions (read: don't drive like a d1ck)

Look at Toyo R888R as well, they are priced well, are fairly soft, but limited sizes are available, they also don't like the cold and wet either, but handle it fine if you drive to the conditions 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Bogan said:

RS4 is not a semi-slick

They are good summer tyres

Dry grip is good, price is good, tyre life is good

They, like most good summer performance tyres, are average in the cold and wet conditions 

I rate them for the street, you just need to be careful in cold and wet conditions (read: don't drive like a d1ck)

Look at Toyo R888R as well, they are priced well, are fairly soft, but limited sizes are available, they also don't like the cold and wet either, but handle it fine if you drive to the conditions 

Awesome, thanks for the input!

Go RS-4 out of your list, I went from always running semi slicks (Nitto NT01, Nankang AR-1) to a set of Hankook RS-4 to make the car more streetable with the odd track day here and there (circuit).

They hook up very well from cold and handle "ok" in the rain, I even took the car last Tuesday to the track in the rain. Yeah was hilarious trying to put power down or take turns at 80~100km/h and trying to chase down the Euros guys with superior track slaying machines from factory.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Go RS-4 out of your list, I went from always running semi slicks (Nitto NT01, Nankang AR-1) to a set of Hankook RS-4 to make the car more streetable with the odd track day here and there (circuit).

They hook up very well from cold and handle "ok" in the rain, I even took the car last Tuesday to the track in the rain. Yeah was hilarious trying to put power down or take turns at 80~100km/h and trying to chase down the Euros guys with superior track slaying machines from factory.

Awesome, RS-4 it is.

Except that I will be going away from RS4 and back to Yokos. Will do AD09 on the basis of expectation that they will be at least as good as the AD08Rs, which have been the nicest tyres I have used in the last 10 years.

The RS4s are roaring. Getting louder and louder as they wear down. Actually sound like a Patrol on big mud tyres now. Never impressed me enough (compared to AD08Rs) to justify this sort of shitty non-Jap east asian tyre noise. They're nearly as bad as KU36s were.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R3N3 said:

Awesome, RS-4 it is.

Don't get me wrong they're decent tyres, but if budget permits AD09 would be better (marginally, according to a few on Bimmerpost).

For me, the difference between RS4 and AD09 was $60 per corner and needed to be ordered in. The RS4 was in stock, ready to be fitted.