SAU Community

6 litre hsv

Hi guys,

I currently own a 6 litre HSV and I am interested to get some opinions from the majority of skyline gtst and gtr owners. My question is, if you were stuck at a traffic light and a 6 litre HSV was about to drag you, do you think you will win? If so, by how much?

If not, what mods do you think you will need in order for the race to be close? Also how much power will the mods give you?

For those who don't know much about the 6 litre holden. Here are the specs:

* 297kw

* 1690kg

* 5.1(auto) 5.2(manual) 0-100:manufacturers time.

I would expect a few to say the following so I'll type it before they do:

1)Holdens are crap etc etc

2)Holdens are slow etc etc.

3)Why buy a holden etc etc.

4)GTR's rock and will leave anything for dead.

5)Why spend 60K+ on a car when you can buy something 1/3 of the price, mod it and have a rocket.

6)I am not a stereo typical v8 driving bogun. I do eat rice and last ride was a S15.

7)holdens look crap

8)holdens are too heavy

This thread is not an attempt to mock either skylines or holdens but to see what mods/power levels a skyline will need to have a close race with a 6litre holden. Also to see if there is in fact any respect from the majority of skyline owners for the holden.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first of all nice ride!   :aroused:  

I like how u got most of the bad calls out of the way heh

Have you done any 1/4 runs in ya car?

Thanks mate,

Nah I haven't taken it to calder to test it yet but manufacturer times are in the mid 13's.

Yeah well said, good to see an honest holden thread starting and not bagging.... so lets keep this on subject.

Basically wht driver said. If you can tell us what the quarter is, then we can tell you what mods we need to get to that quarter mile time.

Lots of power in the holden but a bit heavier than the skyline, however there is no lag in the NA engine. A GTR would give it a good run, however a gtst may need a few minor mods to get it up there..

this could be an interesting thread....

nice car!

Im not a Skyline only person, i drive a V8 skyline, and a GTR, firstly a GTR stock as a rock will destroy a six ltr holden i know this as i have raced a few. My 4.5ltr V8 R33 that made 680nm's or tractive effort in top gear on the dyno which is stock as a rock bar headers and exhaust also beat one of these six ltr beasts up to 140 odd kph and then it started realin me back in as my auto started to run out of legs, but i was still quicker over 400m's.

Last of all u shouldnt be racing from traffic lights neways, its against the law...

Im not a Skyline only person, i drive a V8 skyline, and a GTR, firstly a GTR stock as a rock will destroy a six ltr holden i know this as i have raced a few. My 4.5ltr V8 R33 that made 680nm's or tractive effort in top gear on the dyno which is stock as a rock bar headers and exhaust also beat one of these six ltr beasts up to 140 odd kph and then it started realin me back in as my auto started to run out of legs, but i was still quicker over 400m's.

Last of all u shouldnt be racing from traffic lights neways, its against the law...

Damn, you are one rich 19 year old to have own all those cars.

mid 13's....

for the GTR they run quicker than that standard... mid 12's from the manufacter.

However the more common gtst seems to run stock standard 14's.

So for a gtst to get that, prob looking for aftermarket ECU (power FC or Wolf)

Dump and down pipes, cam gear, exhaust air pod, boost to 12psi. mayeb even aftermarket turbo

REV210 was going for 12's with a strong suspension setup in his gtst with basically what i have mentioned above. i think in the end he also used a bit of giggle gas

not all skyline drivers are idiots, and as you have shown neither are all holden drivers :)

heres my opinion,

a stock gtst you'd kill (around 6-7s 0-100?)

a average modded gtst (230-250rwkw etc..) would be pretty even (around 5s 0-100?)

a bog stock GTR would be pretty close but there aren't many of them out there (around 5s 0-100?)

a lightly modded GTR (boost/exaust) would probably beat you (around 4s 0-100)

a modded GTR, no offense but without slicks i think you'd be left for dead...

I think the V8 holden/hsv's are pretty good cars these days, but it all depends on what you want right? If you need to carry 4-5 people comfortably and tow a boat/caravan and want a reasonably quick car etc... then a V8 holden is a good choice.. if you want just a quick car, then i think it would be a better choice going for a GTR etc...each to thier own however...I couldn't tow a caravan and 5 people in my car...

A mates mate the other day had a SS with some work done to it and was paying out jap cars etc.. i turned around and said whenever you want to line up let me know, he knew i'd kill him, so turned around and said 'sure lets see how youd go towing 2 tonne trailor and 5 people' my comment was 'are we racing or are we taking the kids and caravan on a holiday'

You can't really avoid (8) - They're a bit heavy.. 1690kg vs about 1400kg is nearly 300kg difference between that an just an R33.. An basic R33 has around 180kw (around low 200's with an exhaust and slight boost up)).

It comes down to power vs weight. If you could strip out 200kg you would have it all over the skylines.

Wouldn't you also have trouble against some of the older ~1400kg commodores which have put in genIII engines @ 250kw ?

Damn, you are one rich 19 year old to have own all those cars.

I hope you werent having a dig, i worked extremly hard for what i got, Unfortunately im in a little to much debt though and have to sell the GTR.

Quote:

"a average modded gtst (230-250rwkw etc..) would be pretty even (around 5s 0-100?)"

You sure the average modded gtst has that much power? My friend has modded his with turbo back, power fc, boost and got around 140-150rwkw. If you're correct than most skylines out there will kill me. i get that much power now and the car weighs 150+kg more than skyline.

Quote:

"a average modded gtst (230-250rwkw etc..) would be pretty even (around 5s 0-100?)"

You sure the average modded gtst has that much power? My friend has modded his with turbo back, power fc, boost and got around 140-150rwkw. If you're correct than most skylines out there will kill me. i get that much power now and the car weighs  150+kg more than skyline.

my 32 weighs under 1400kg and is standard apart from exaust and does 150rwkw

is it auto or manual,

i was in a mates vy ss auto and it could really launch

I hope you werent having a dig, i worked extremly hard for what i got, Unfortunately im in a little to much debt though and have to sell the GTR.

Nah mate, it was a complement. I was surprised that a 19 year old, is capable of saving up that much money to buy those 2 cars, and money to mod them.

Guest two.06l
Quote:

You sure the average modded gtst has that much power? My friend has modded his with turbo back, power fc, boost and got around 140-150rwkw. If you're correct than most skylines out there will kill me. i get that much power now and the car weighs  150+kg more than skyline.

Sell your car and buy a Ferrari Enzo....

Ferrari Enzo....0-100..=..3.4sec.

Our GTR..........0-100..=..3.4sec.

First up, i respect you for putting this post up even though your going to get alot of youngins dissin you for your ride. I used to own a holden myself and still love them - the new ones especially. They do get dissed alot on these forums b/c there are alot of holden owners out there who drive very irresponsibly and just look like plain d*ckheads when they drive.

I recently had a bit of a run with a VZ clubbie on warrigal rd turning onto the M1 outbound. He beat me on the launch but as the corner came up i caught him and passed him on the outside. I only got a front mount, full exhaust, BB clutch running a VG30 turbo running stock boost.

I'm guessing in a str8 line drag he would've wopped me but when it comes to corners, sorry, the HSV's got no chance.

The HSV's are damn quick on the straights, but about 190rwkw or thereabouts in any skyline should give them a good run for their money.

Can't wait to get my car back (RB25 conversion) - i'm goin out V8 huntin! hehe, healthy competition.....

Nah mate, it was a complement. I was surprised that a 19 year old, is capable of saving up that much money to buy those 2 cars, and money to mod them.

That cool mate, i started saving for a car very early, bought a vl when i was 15, did it up, made twice my money on it and bought my skyline when i was 16 for 14g's 95 NA R33. Finished school and kept working while going to uni, ive had to drop my subjects this semester as ive had to take over the running of a business do to some unfortunate circumstances. But im still surviving.

Wanna by a 12.2 sec GTR :)?

Quote:

yeah fair enough i guess there is quite a lot of gtst's that run exaust, bit more boost, FMIC etc.. and make around 180-190rwkw.. a couple of my mates gtsts have changed thier turbos (still std injectors/internals) and make around 250rwkw, so to me thats normal for gtsts... I guess the 180-200rwkw gtsts would probaly struggle to keep up with you in a straight line, but the 250rwkw ones will probably give you a good run