1. Ability to double power output from a smaller engine

2. Smaller engine = less weight

3. Skylines handle better than "Aussie" cars

But good luck to you.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

off topic: has anyone turboed or supercharged the 6liter?

i still get amazed when i see the "6 liter" thing!

steve

Not much is available in australia for the Ls2 yet. LS1 has been out for awhile so you can get a lot of mods for them and APS have twin turbo kits for the LS1.

LS2 edit is still being tested before release and is very anticipated.

Hi guys,

I currently own a 6 litre HSV and I am interested to get some opinions from the majority of skyline gtst and gtr owners. My question is, if you were stuck at a traffic light and a 6 litre HSV was about to drag you, do you think you will win? If so, by how much?

If not, what mods do you think you will need in order for the race to be close? Also how much power will the mods give you?

For those who don't know much about the 6 litre holden. Here are the specs:

* 297kw

* 1690kg

* 5.1(auto) 5.2(manual) 0-100:manufacturers time.

I would expect a few to say the following so I'll type it before they do:

1)Holdens are crap etc etc

2)Holdens are slow etc etc.

3)Why buy a holden etc etc.

4)GTR's rock and will leave anything for dead.

5)Why spend 60K+ on a car when you can buy something 1/3 of the price, mod it and have a rocket.

6)I am not a stereo typical v8 driving bogun. I do eat rice and last ride was a S15.

7)holdens look crap

8)holdens are too heavy

This thread is not an attempt to mock either skylines or holdens but to see what mods/power levels a skyline will need to have a close race with a 6litre holden. Also to see if there is in fact any respect from the majority of skyline owners for the holden.

I always was a holden man until I discoved value for money import the nissan skyline. My mate has a VX R8 clubsport beautiful great for road trips and goes pretty good cant beet that V8 sound.

Weighed my car on a weigh bridge the otherday 1380kg with nearly half a talk of fuel.

I have 195 rwkw mods are in sig. That is about 265 kw at the engine and it has a nice tourquey power curve (not the same as a 6.0 V8 would though).

Im guessing you would have arround 220rwkw (thats what I saw a 300kw vtgts make in wheels magazine).

1690 / 297 = 5.7 kg per kw

1380 /265 = 5.2 kg per kw

R33 gtsts with similar power to mine will do low 13's some will do high 12's depending on suspention tyres ect. I think id win but it would be close the weight factor really doesnt help the later model ford/holdens. But like the imports they repond well to modifications so add an exhaust ect then it may be a different story

Go to a tune and test day at the drags. It's the only way to prove it.

Just watched a Jeremony Clarkson DVD put a Pagani Zonda V12 with 555bhp against a 1992 XJ220 Jag with a 540bhp turbo V6 AND an extra 200kg.

The Jag ate the Zonda.

Go to a tune and test day at the drags. It's the only way to prove it.  

Im sure the HSV could beat a gtst with 200rwkw+ at the drags if it had rock hard, low suspention, 18" wheels, and cheep rubber power is only part of the equation remember.

Just watched a Jeremony Clarkson DVD put a Pagani Zonda V12 with 555bhp against a 1992 XJ220 Jag with a 540bhp turbo V6  AND an extra 200kg.  

The Jag ate the Zonda.

Is that in a drag or arround a race race track?

Not much is available in australia for the Ls2 yet. LS1 has been out for awhile so you can get a lot of mods for them and APS have twin turbo kits for the LS1.

LS2 edit is still being tested before release and is very anticipated.

I was recently in the states and had the joy of seeing the New York Motor Show. Now the GTO (read Monaro) over there has been using the LS2 for a while.

There are a number of peformance places with exceptional knowledge to provide you with some info and parts.

Firstly, try

www.summitracing.com

Also, good to see a "car enthusiast" not bagging but appreciating. I had a run with a 300kw HSV at Willowbank some months back (yes the old LS1 oil burner) and he had me by only a bit.

I am stock except for rebuild, zorst and pod , running stock boost, so a modded one with boost, and a decent driver would make an interesing comparison.

Go to the drags and test the theory is all I can say!!! :)

I always was a holden man until I discoved value for money import the nissan skyline. My mate has a VX R8 clubsport beautiful great for road trips and goes pretty good cant beet that V8 sound.

Weighed my car on a weigh bridge the otherday 1380kg with nearly half a talk of fuel.  

I have 195 rwkw mods are in sig. That  is about 265 kw at the engine and it has a nice tourquey power curve (not the same as a 6.0 V8 would though).

Im guessing you would have arround 220rwkw (thats what I saw a 300kw vtgts make in wheels magazine).  

1690 / 297 = 5.7 kg per kw

1380 /265 = 5.2 kg per kw

R33 gtsts with similar power to mine will do low 13's some will do high 12's depending on suspention tyres ect. I think id win but it would be close the weight factor really doesnt help the later model ford/holdens. But like the imports they repond well to modifications so add an exhaust ect then it may be a different story

I dynoed my car last month and got 240rwkw. MOTOR got 229rwkw. As for the VT GTS, isn't that only 220kw at the flywheel? It's the VX GTS and later that have the 300kw calloway motor.

So is it safe to say that a gtst with >190rwkw will be a good match?

1) I think a gtst with 230-250 rwkw is a bit more than "average" for a gtst

2) a thought 32 and 34 gtrs were like 1480 or 1490 kgs ?? so if he stripped a bit of weight off the power/weight ratio wouldn't be that different

1) I think a gtst with 230-250 rwkw is a bit more than "average" for a gtst

Agreed. The "average" GTST would be under 200rwkw. The "average" GTST I think would be around 230-250 kw @ the fly.

As long as that 6L HSV can get traction it should win a lot of drags. Do some weight reduction and it's even more formiddable.

If you read motor I thought the quickest car they tested was the XR8 at 13.99????  Is the Aussie muscle car shoot out.

As for getting more power all you need to do is get the LS2 flash tuned

I have that issue of motor where it tested allt he aussie cars.

hsv got 13.65 in that test.

Yes we are waiting for the LS2 edit(flash) but it is in the testing process and has not been officially released.

I dynoed my car last month and got 240rwkw. MOTOR got 229rwkw. As for the VT GTS, isn't that only 220kw at the flywheel? It's the VX GTS and later that have the 300kw calloway motor.

So is it safe to say that a gtst with >190rwkw will be a good match?

240rwkw thats impressive. Are you able to post us the graph?

Vt gts series 2 had the 300kw callaway engine. I have the mag at home I will check it tonight it is actually up against a R34 GTR in a head to head comparision and has all the facts and figures and a dyno run on each car.

Series 1 vt gts was 220 at the fly blueprint edition was 230.

Defently a good match if a r33 gtst has under 190rwkw.

240rwkw thats impressive. Are you able to post us the graph?  

Vt gts series 2 had the 300kw callaway engine. I have the mag at home I will check it tonight it is actually up against a R34 GTR in a head to head comparision and has all the facts and figures and a dyno run on each car.  

Series 1 vt gts was 220 at the fly blueprint edition was 230.

Defently a good match if a r33 gtst has under 190rwkw.

Don't you mean 'over' 190rwkw. hehehe

Here's the graph.

ls2dyno2.jpg

I love my skyline.

But I wouldn't mind getting the R8 LS2 especiailly the upcoming one with the track pack (smaller but wider 18" wheels, track spec rubber). Why? Because, in its current form the Commodore SS beats the R8 around Eastern Creek by about 0.4 of a second. Still the R8 clocks a 1:55.96 at the creek. That's truly impressive.

I would still keep the R34 and I'll have the best of both worlds...literally

I know you don't wanna hear about GTR's, but really, if you are going to compare stock, as is fair... the stock GTR's go under 13s 1/4 and you saying the fastest HSV is 0.6 seconds slower... thats alot of distance when you are going that fast.

From the lights however, its going to come down to traction and lag. We win on traction, you win with less lag(in a big way).

at the end of the day... you DEFINATLY win on sound!!! and thats what the crowd wants. :jump:

Vuster: Did you ever track your S15? How do you find the HSV handles compared to the S15?

S15 was definitely a small fun car. Turning at the traffic lights i was able to hit full throttle and it would grip the road like a cat on carpet. I don't dare to push my current ride around corners. Last thing I want to do is wrap a 60K car around a poll. It does feel heavy.

As for straight line, my current ride will take it on easily. I got tired of always having to rev the S15 hard at the lights for it to go otherwise even a v6 would go past me without trying. That's something that I really didn't like. The fact that there was too much lag when you weren't in the mood to push the pedal hard.

The v8 is very torquey so driving it is very easy, very effortless as you just press the pedal softly and it moves. Oh and in the wet I don't need to worry about losing traction as much. The s15 would lose traction too easily so I had to drive like a granny. I just leave the traction control on in the hsv.

I only switched cars because of my lifestyle. I need to tow a boat and like to get away with a full load often.

Here's a in car footage of my car doing a 0-100km/h sprint.

http://users.tpg.com.au/mcurro/clips/5.4_seconds.WMV

Always good to see someone looking at the positives and enjoying a good discussion. The turbos can be a bit edgy in the wet with their boost response.

From last years HSV track day at PI, at which I had a ball regardless of blowing a turbo hose and torching the bumper, we found that there was a pretty close match between similarly modded 33/34 GTSt on standard road rubber and HSV's on semi comp. Just the weight was a killer for the big guys in the corners but as the road rubber went off with heat, the track rubber just got better :D (dammit)

Surprisingly I have seen auto V8 Soarers doing similar times to the HSV's with just exhaust and track rubber and a new trans controller. Now that is a sweet sounding engine and I'm just in the process of getting headers then the rest of the system as long as the missus doesn't catch me :)

Sounds like a great ride and fit for purpose towing and hauling family in comfort, but don't write off taking it to the island for a squirt.