SAU Community

6 litre hsv

S15 was definitely a small fun car. Turning at the traffic lights i was able to hit full throttle and it would grip the road like a cat on carpet. I don't dare to push my current ride around corners. Last thing I want to do is wrap a 60K car around a poll. It does feel heavy.

As for straight line, my current ride will take it on easily. I got tired of always having to rev the S15 hard at the lights for it to go otherwise even a v6 would go past me without trying. That's something that I really didn't like. The fact that there was too much lag when you weren't in the mood to push the pedal hard.

The v8 is very torquey so driving it is very easy, very effortless as you just press the pedal softly and it moves. Oh and in the wet I don't need to worry about losing traction as much. The s15 would lose traction too easily so I had to drive like a granny. I just leave the traction control on in the hsv.

I only switched cars because of my lifestyle. I need to tow a boat and like to get away with a full load often.

Here's a in car footage of my car doing a 0-100km/h sprint.

http://users.tpg.com.au/mcurro/clips/5.4_seconds.WMV

if you were getting beating by v6s even not trying something is wrong . My s15 had a full exhaust , cai and 13psi and I could put a car length + more behind a 220kw v8 by about 120/130km . even stock past about 2.5k revs it would haul past a crappy v6 .

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you were getting beating by v6s even not trying something is wrong . My s15 had a full exhaust , cai and 13psi and I could put a car length + more behind a 220kw v8 by about 120/130km . even stock past about 2.5k revs it would haul past a crappy v6 .

No arguments with you there mate.

Dont' get me wrong though. I did not mention anything about racing the V6's in my S15.

I was merely talking about taking off at the lights without stepping hard on the accellerator. Tap the accellerator in the S15 lightly and do the same to a V6. i.e. revs won't get past 2500rpm. Then you'll see what I'm talking about.

With that much boost and mods you should be able to whip the 220kw v8's easily.

There was an article in an old HPi a while back comparing a mildly modified R34 GTR to a similarly powered HSV GTS. They said the GTS had trouble putting the power to the ground, but all up it was pretty even. It's a good read if you can find it, has a gold S15 on the cover.

This is a first, hasnt turned into a mud slinging competition:thumbsup:

My 2c, the GTR will be quicker because right off the line you can get +200rwkws to the ground courtesy of its 4wd and 5,500-6,000rpm launch...its like the HSV having a big stall converter.

From 60km/h to 220km/h, it would be interesting. Id say the GTR would need more then 230rwkws to hold its own in a roll on head up race.

When i had the stock turbo on my car so had about 140-150rwkws i couldnt get near an old 300kw GTS at Wakefield, I had to work hard every corner, brakign point to pick up liitle bits here and there, just to come onto the straight and have him pull about 5-6 car lengths on me. They are quick toys, and this thing was stock, not even exhaust running crapolo Falken Semis.

And i drove a manual GTS 300kw jobbie over Xmas, they go damn well, i was so in love with the throttle response, and the brakes were pretty good, and it even handles/gripped well. I didnt get the feeling you coudl row up to into corners, but if you brakes, set the car up and held the one line through a corner it seemed very capable.

I didn't release a stock GTR runs 4 second flat 0-100km/h even with the restrictor off. I thought that it would be more like high 4's.

MarchGTR may of beaten the LS2 by that many car lengths to that speed as he said. No offence intended.  

My question is when someone says they beat a car by a certain number of car lengths it's accuracy can be questionable because it's difficult to determine when the other party has actually hit the brakes.

Yeah maybe it was auto Pus. I dont' know much about twin turbo supras.

No offence taken, i was just trying to put some figures out... the 4second flat is probably debatable.. a stock GTR wouuld be closer to 5seconds or low 5s.. my car has boost/exaust and can pretty much do 4 flats (its hard to tell exactly)..

You said you did 5.4 0-100 in yours, say the GTR does 4.4 thats still 1 second at 27metres/s so thats a few car lengths... I think some people don't realise thatn when you pull 4-5 car lenghs up to 100 its probably only 1second difference... but then again 4second is 20% quicker than 5seconds 0-100.... but i do agree its hard to tell when someone backs off/brakes when they are behind you.

No offence taken, i was just trying to put some figures out... the 4second flat is probably debatable.. a stock GTR wouuld be closer to 5seconds or low 5s.. my car has boost/exaust and can pretty much do 4 flats (its hard to tell exactly)..

You said you did 5.4 0-100 in yours, say the GTR does 4.4 thats still 1 second at 27metres/s so thats a few car lengths... I think some people don't realise thatn when you pull 4-5 car lenghs up to 100 its probably only 1second difference... but then again 4second is 20% quicker than 5seconds 0-100.... but i do agree its hard to tell when someone backs off/brakes when they are behind you.

Ferni,

Your calculations are not correct.

if car A reaches 100km/h and drives for 1 second then he has gained 27meters.

While car A drives at 100km/h during that 1 second, car B is struggling at 90km/h during that same time period. So car B has gained 25 meters during that 1 second.

So difference is 27-25=2 meters not 27 meters.

Am I on drugs or what? Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Good to see this thread has kept it cleen,

My opinion is that dollar for dollar on performance modifications, the 6lt will will always beat a GTST.

$4000 on a GTST will prolly get you a reliable 200 rwkW => 1350kg/200kw = 6.75kg/kW

$4000 on a 6ltr will prolly get reliable 280rwkW (wild stab in the dark) => 1690kg/280kW = 6.0gk/kW

Having said that I love my R33 GTST - it is the best car I have owned.

In my humble opinion I would rather spend $60k on a GTR,

But lets face it if I had all the cash in the world I would not own a nissan or a holden, I'd be buying a F40 Ferrari, AMG55 Merc, M5 BMW or a custom built car.

Ferni,

Your calculations are not correct.

if car A reaches 100km/h and drives for 1 second then he has gained 27meters.

While car A drives at 100km/h during that 1 second, car B is struggling at 90km/h during that same time period. So car B has gained 25 meters during that 1 second.

So difference is 27-25=2 meters not 27 meters.

Am I on drugs or what? Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

opps sorry...where was my brain this morning :P

Its much more like 10 metres....

Distance = (inital speed + final speed / 2) * time

So say at 4seconds

car A (0-100 in 4secs) is doing 100k/h (27.7metres/s) and

car B (0-100 in 5secs) is doing 80k/h (22.2metres/s)

D = (27.7m/s / 2) * 4s

D = 13.85m/s * 4s

D = 55.4metres

D = (22.2m/s / 2 ) * 4s

D = 11.1m/s * 4s

D = 44.4metres

Car A would be 54metres down the road

Car B would be 44metres down the road

So difference would be about 10metres...

Vuster, you should take your car down the track and see what mph you run?

That will give you a good indication of how quick it is on the roll.

My car has stock auto and converter and managers a pretty woofull 60 footer but the MPH is better than the ET time that i ran for a XR6 turbo

Vuster, you should take your car down the track and see what mph you run?

That will give you a good indication of how quick it is on the roll.

My car has stock auto and converter and managers a pretty woofull 60 footer but the MPH is better than the ET time that i ran for a XR6 turbo

Welcome T6. Nice ride you have there. What a happy family we have here. holden, ford, and skyline.

300rwkw. Have you got the APS phase 3 kit?

I had the F6 on order before i purchased the hsv. I still like the car but I was a bit nervous with all the bad press and clutch problems.

Yeah I wouldn't mind going to calder one day for a squirt.

Out of interest are those forumulas right..isnt it S=ut + 0.5at^2 or v=u + at or v^2=u^2+2as

s=distance, u=initial speed, v=final speed, t=time, a =accn

You have sued 4seconds for both cars calculations?

No point trying to engineer now Roy.....have a rest

I have to say I was feeling concerned with the new goodies offered by Ford and the General but weight is still their enemy and not everyone is trying to street race, thank god. Prices are looking pretty good though. For ages they were overpriced and way underpowered but now, I'd be happy to have them in the garage as well as the current collection.

After you guys are done with Calder maybe go for a squirt at a racetrack. Weds at Calder is fairly priced at $140-160 but Friday at Winton is about $100 for open practice. Otherwise a club membership is $50 and license is $83

As a point to note, at PI the GTR's were mid to low 1:50's but a couple were in the high 1:40's while the GTSt's were 1:58 to 2:03 depending on rubber, pretty much the same for the Soarers too.

We have club meets at Darlington park but i have noy yet raced my car there as it is still my family car and i would not want to prang it.

There was Turbo falcs running there as well and they were pulling some quick times so im lead to believe.I will post some times up of the next meet as it is open to other makes aswell.

Out of interest are those forumulas right..isnt it S=ut + 0.5at^2  or v=u + at  or v^2=u^2+2as  

s=distance, u=initial speed, v=final speed, t=time, a =accn

You have sued 4seconds for both cars calculations?

Yep they are right, and so are yours...

distance = initial speed * time + ( 1/2 ) * acceleration * time^2

gives you the same figures i got above :(

I based it that at the 4second mark, Car A would be doing 100km/h and at the 4second mark Car B would be doing 80km/h - what would the difference in distance (metres) be?

Yep they are right, and so are yours...

distance = initial speed * time + ( 1/2 ) * acceleration * time^2

gives you the same figures i got above :(

I based it that at the 4second mark, Car A would be doing 100km/h and at the 4second mark Car B would be doing 80km/h - what would the difference in distance (metres) be?

Talk about being technical! What's the distance if instead the gtr was 4.7 second 0-100? 1 car length?

Talk about being technical! What's the distance if instead the gtr was 4.7 second 0-100? 1 car length?

I think that would be the most the most accurate time to use.. 4 seconds is a bit optimistic, 5 seconds possible if the driver isn't that good, or the car is poorly tuned, generally, i would expect GTR 32s/34s to range in the mid to high 4 second mark (i.e 4.5-4.9) and 33s in the very low 5s, probably 5 flat.