SAU Community

R33: Aerial Removal

SKYWKR

Just a quick question....My aerial isn't goin down on my r33 but i can still hear the motor running, does anyone know what could be wrong or how i could fix it??

Any help would be great

mine came like that... personally i dont like the aerial so i fixed it and pulled out teh plug.

this is how i did it:

unscrew the top chrome bit around teh aerial.

open the lining in the trunk, rear left.

take out the jack, and feel around for the motor.

unbolt and unplug teh motor and take it out...

i found that the cogs and the long white plastic thing with teeth were mis-aligned so i took it all apart and cleaned it all up.

regreased and realigned everything.. it is all pretty straight forward if you know

what your doing - if ur not sure then ur better off getting a professional to fix it.

That said - my radio works fine with the aerial down so you might want to leave it???

Thanks alot man....I wouldn't mind if it stayed down but mine is permanently up, il give it try

and see how i go.

Once again thanks heaps

Cheers

• 2 years later...

hey guys ive tried to remove mine, ive unbolted the motor disconnected it but i cant seem to get it out..

the outside chrome part spins but doesn't feel like its unscrewing as far as it should.. any ideas? does it help if the aerial is up or down.

the outside chrome part spins but doesn't feel like its unscrewing as far as it should.. any ideas? does it help if the aerial is up or down.

keep going. and the antenna needs to be down or you won't get the motor assembly out of the rear quarter.

• 1 month later...
keep going. and the antenna needs to be down or you won't get the motor assembly out of the rear quarter.

Can someone upload a photo of the aerial unit out of a R33, so I can see what I am tugging on. I want the aerial to remain down, so I want to disconnect the electric motor NOT unplug the aerial.

the antenna's bolted to a metal sheet that runs down the side of the boot. on the quarter panel side (ie the side you can get your hand to) there's a plug about halfway up that's a standard loom plug, it goes into the main body of the antenna at right angles. squeeze the clip and pull it out. It's white and has about 4 wires going into it.

the actual antenna wire is right up the top, and it goes in at a 45 degree angle.

• 3 weeks later...

If it's stuck in the up position, how do you force it to go down without snapping it? I'd be happy if mine was down and stayed down, but it's stuck up and just looks stupid.

If it's stuck in the up position, how do you force it to go down without snapping it? I'd be happy if mine was down and stayed down, but it's stuck up and just looks stupid.

I will unplug mine this weekend and see if I can get reception still.

My aerial was permanently in the upright position. At the mo I just turn the car off, whilst the aerial motor is whuring away trying to decline, I smack the top of the aerial down with the palm of my hand. It takes one hit that is firm but not overboard, then it picks up on the teeth in the motor and goes down. The other way that I first used was to push it down, but the smacking method works for me best as it wont snap or bend the aerial.

Tried pushing it, it just bends a bit and won't go down. Will try it as the motors going down though and see if that does it. If it's down and the motor's unplugged, but aerial is still plugged in, you should still get reception.

• 5 weeks later...

mine does the same except mine is just a lil bit up and wen i turn the ignition on or turn the car off you can hear the motor grinding....how could i solve that....do i need a new ariel or new motor as i still want to be able to use the lil button behind the steering wheel to have it up or down....anyone got any pics to help me please

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

some one helped me out and snapped my arial off

so i just had a short and sharp piece of metal left sticking up

al i did was unscrew the silver cap on the outside and pull the rubber mounting bit out then removed the remainder of the arial and put it back together

so i have no arial and still get a 100% perfect signal..

some dick snapped mine off and left it next to the car... what i did.

Cut the top end off so i had 1 inch, and i glued this into the hole where the antenna used to be, So it looks fine, and sits in the metal casing. Had to also remove the white teeth plastic by cutting off and pushing what was left down with a screw driver.

I then unplugged the power from the motor, bu reaching into the boot trim underneath and feeling around, there seems to only be one plug, althernativly you can cut the power coming from the deck to antenna, should be hooked to the REM blue / white wire.

either way, still get perfect reception with the antenna down

• 2 weeks later...

im trying to get my working attena to stay down as it goes up when i turn the car on and down when i turn the car off.. like it nomrally should. however, i want to keep the atenna down. is there a power plug i can disconnect? had a look and i disconnected this grey looking plug, turened on my car, the attena still went up.... so i put the plug back in and felt round the motor, and felt this rubber tube at the bottom of the motor.. is this what i pull out to disconnect power? or...

im trying to get my working attena to stay down as it goes up when i turn the car on and down when i turn the car off.. like it nomrally should. however, i want to keep the atenna down. is there a power plug i can disconnect? had a look and i disconnected this grey looking plug, turened on my car, the attena still went up.... so i put the plug back in and felt round the motor, and felt this rubber tube at the bottom of the motor.. is this what i pull out to disconnect power? or...

that or is there a fuse somewhere that can be pulled out?

The rubber tube at the bottom of the motor is a water drainage tube...

• 3 weeks later...