SAU Community

I'm not really bias I think... the rexy does feel gutless at low rpm. Go to your subaru dealer and check for yourself...

I'd be the first to admit if it had better power all round..

Obviously the grip is great but compared to the R33 with a few minor mods the rexy felt like a slower car

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dush - your wang is big, don't get me wrong.. but my wang is bigger.

Ben - what do you consider low rpm?

If both cars red line at 7000rpm then mid rev range is 3500rpm.

so I assume by low rpm, you are talking about 2000rpm.

then YES. The 2.5L with 9:1 compression and relatively small ball bearing turbo charger has more get up and go when compared to the 2L in the wrx.

but this thread is not about which car gets to 3000rpm quicker.

it is which car is faster in a race.

most legal races start from a standing start, and end 402m later.

will the more torque at 2000rpm help you there?

or are you a Great Western Raceway kinda guy?

in my expeirences i have beat a my03 wrx in my r33 gtst. he had me of the mark but then as expected i plled him back and won .

this car was stock and all mine has is a boost controller running 10 pound.

they will allways get you of the line (awd) but if you can drive and launch your skyline well they shouldnt get too far away

JUST BUY A SKYLINE

Hey Ben, i think they actually got that shitty vn commie into the 11's!

As for lag. my rex with the standard turbo and tb exhaust could reach 17 psi by 2500 rpm, is that laggy?

My god! They succeeded in polishing the turd.

PHATGTR-My old MY00 WRX with the stock TD04 and a full 3" MSR HiTech exhaust would make 1.1 bar by 2600rpm in higher gears. Fatz (NSW Forums) has driven it and could comment for an unbiased opinion. Then again he'd probably just say, "It's a bloody Hyundai piece of crap" so maybe his opinion isn't really unbiased either. :)

(yet another) Ben

GTST: PicsofWangorBan :uh-huh:

sorry.. my e-wang is too large to get in one pic.. it requires a panaramic lens taken from across the room..

too much hasle..

then I'd have to unwrap it from my e-leg etc...

just not worth it..

just take my word for it..

:uh-huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I owned a MY98 for 2 years and have just purchased a stock SII R33 and as much as it hurts me to say it, the WRX was much more impressive when it comes to performance. However thats probably the only more impressive thing about the WRX, what is not impressive is the drivetrain, they should have made it out of glass it would have been stronger.

I guess what i am trying to say is while your mates WRX is in the shop with the gearbox or clutch out (depends on what week it is) you will be thinking what a great decision you have made.

Gary

rex will chop u off the line and stock vs stock...

youll get ur revenge on him on the highway.....

wider tyres and turboback zorst and a marginal boost increase should take it out, DEFINATLY on the highway........ :rofl:

I think the it would be a close race stock for stock.

I raced a R33 gtst he had same mods as me really like front mount, exhaust, fuel pump etc cause i sorta know him.....i beat him from 50kph rolling start to 180kph and i got a RB20DET in my silvia at 10psi and i short shifted each gear due to my misfire problem.

But we have a mate with WRX manual and that hoots.

- Luke

it all depends on the driver too, i raced some random who was in a rex vs my 33, and he couldnt get traction off the line, then he couldnt catch me so no point comparing high performance cars without considering low performance drivers

I owned a MY98 for 2 years and have just purchased a stock SII R33 and as much as it hurts me to say it, the WRX was much more impressive when it comes to performance. However thats probably the only more impressive thing about the WRX, what is not impressive is the drivetrain, they should have made it out of glass it would have been stronger.

I guess what i am trying to say is while your mates WRX is in the shop with the gearbox or clutch out (depends on what week it is) you will be thinking what a great decision you have made.

Gary

I still don't know what makes people think the subaru drivetrains are so weak.

I've had 3 wrxs, all had a fair bit of power, and copped a hiding and never had a gearbox problem.

I had an MY96 which has the weakest gearbox of them all. Took it to the drags a few times and was good enough for low 13s...never had a gearbox problem.

Also had an MY00 STI with a bit over 200awkw. Took it to the drags lots of times. Had a best time of 12.6 (with no traction) and never ran slower than 12.9. Never had a gearbox problem in that either.