How Do I Tell What My Spring Rates Are?

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry it has taken this long!

Results are:

2.85 kg/mm or ~ 160 lb/in

Bare in mind i have used an average of your upper and lower OD's. Although this isnt 100% accurate, it will be in the vacinity of the correct value.

From what I've read, these seem like stock rates. How does it ride and handle?

Don't want to be rude mate, but these are not stock rates... My mate drift GTST32 is about as hard as mine, thing rides like track spec springs and I believe it handles insane, but I haven't driven another to compare. It would be very uncomfy as a daily, you can not physically push the car down at a corner at all, not even bounce it?

Any Ideas? Thanks for taking the time mate.

Ben

Edited by TrikkBen

All good...Im simply using the values you gave me.

For comparison, the first 5-10 rates that are in this thread that Sydney Kid calculated I also calculated using my spreadsheet. All were pretty much on spot +/- 5% IIRC. Furthermore, I calc'd my own spring rates and they were pretty much spot on with what I was given from SK. So I dont believe there's a problem with the spreadsheet...

Ill take another look when I get home and re-calc everything. But when I did calculate them, I checked and re-checked the values as I was a tad surprised going off the pictures.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hey sk,

could I please get the spring rates for these:

Fronts:

Coil ID = 88/79

Wire OD = 25.5

# of Coils = 8.8

Rears:

Coil ID = 100/68

Wire OD = 23.5

# of Coils = 9.5

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

If i take measurements of my springs, Front and rear could someone please try and see what spring rate they are, Aftermarket shocks on Cusco Zero 2 R. If to firm would like to change before the install.

• 5 months later...

hey R32Abuser. (or anyone in here) can you help calculate spring rates for me?

front:

Coil ID = 14.7cm

Wire OD = 1.8cm

# of Coils = 5

rear:

Coil ID = 7.6cm/6.4cm

Wire OD = 1.4cm

# of Coils = 7

Appreciate the help.

Cheers!

• 4 months later...

Hi SydneyKid or anyone else, could you please help calculate the (rear only) spring rates of my older model Cusco adjustable coilovers. They are really hard and I want to change springs.

Spring outer dia : about 90mm

Spring coil dia: 15mm

No. of coils: about 7.8? (the bottom of the last coil is sort of a 'split half diameter coil' - see pic)

Please disregard the lower 'helper springs'.

Thanks Ron

Hi SydneyKid or anyone else, could you please help calculate the (rear only) spring rates of my older model Cusco adjustable coilovers. They are really hard and I want to change springs.

Spring outer dia : about 90mm

Spring coil dia: 15mm

No. of coils: about 7.8? (the bottom of the last coil is sort of a 'split half diameter coil' - see pic)

Please disregard the lower 'helper springs'.

Thanks Ron

Thanks mate its not Zero2R, theres no damper adjustment, could be a Zero1, its baaaaad, 18/16 sounds plain horrible when Im told even 8/6 is bad! Oh boy here I was wanting to put softer 6/5 or 6/4 springs in.. Would my dampers get rooted with this low a rate?

Ok so got verniers today for extra accuracy.

Spring wire dia is 12.5mm

Spring outer dia is 89-90mm

No of 'active' coils is 6

Spring rate from a couple of US sites is 9kg/mm and thats for the rear- f**king hard hehe

Hi Gary and others,

I have an S13 silvia with RB25DET conversion. It came with Racing Logic coilovers installed, can you please help me work out spring rate?

This is from the rear:

Coil OD = 84mm

Wire OD = 11mm

# of coils = 6.9

It was sitting very low and was terrible for street, (physical pain on large pothole at 60km/h)! I have adjusted the height up and it is a little better, but still pretty rough on the street.

It still has all rubber bushes too not sure if this makes a difference.

Thanks for your help.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...

man oh man...old old thread. BUT I have to ask...I have a couple springs I need help identifying.

14" spring front

Coil ID =  65mm

Coil OD= 85mm

Wire OD = 9.7mm

# of Coils =  10?turns

12" spring front

Coil ID =  65mm

Wire OD =  9.5mm

# of Coils =  7.75/turns

10" spring rear

Coil ID = 65.5 mm

Wire OD =  9.5mm

# of Coils =  5turns

I hope that the OP is still doing this!!! I need to figure out these springs and if they wont work for my application I need to order new. Please help!

Thanks in advance!!!