Coil OD = 186 MM Bottom

Wire OD = 14 mm

# of Coils = 4.5 turns

Rear:

Coil OD = 145 mm

Wire OD = 15 mm

# of Coils = 6.125 turns

Thankyou for your help ;)

Sorry, for the dalay I missed seeing this post for a few days. I have replied to the PM, but for the other readers. The fronts are 185 lbs per inch and the rears 220 lbs per inch, which looks a little strange. Maybe check the dimension again just to be sure.

:huh: Cheers :)

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sydneykid

I don't have any so I can't get the measurements.  I was wondering in you know what the standard R34 GTR spring rates are?

Cheers...

Sorry, not an easy question to answer, there seems to be a few different standard spring rates in R34GTR's. I have seen three different rates, standard R34GTR, V Spec and N1 (maybe NUR spec), there may be others. The lightest was 165 lbs (3kg/m) per inch and the heaviest was 205 lbs per inch (3.7 kg/mm).

:P cheers :D

• 2 weeks later...

Coil OD = 86/82 mm

Wire OD = 11 mm

# of Coils = 11 ish turns?

i dunno if i got this right....my coils are strange in that the top coils (first 5 or so)are tighter together than the bottom and it goes from small to larger to small again...they are f***ken hard though....

• 2 weeks later...
Coil OD = 86/82 mm

Wire OD = 11 mm

# of Coils = 11 ish turns?

i dunno if i got this right....my coils are strange in that the top coils (first 5 or so)are tighter together than the bottom and it goes from small to larger to small again...they are f***ken hard though....

Sorry for the delay in responding, I have been away from my enginering computer for a week. The first 2006 F3 round at Wakefield last weekend kept me busy.

That's a 2.5" progressive spring. The softest rate is ~225 lbs per inch and the highest rate (allowing for the 5 coils that are close together) is ~525 lbs per inch. Usually the soft rate is used only to ensure the spring is trapped at full droop. As soon as the weight of the car is applied, the close together coils sit on top of on another and you end up with the high rate all the time.

For a more accurate measurement you will have to remove the spring and measure the gaps between the coils. I then work out exactly the variable rates as the spring loads up.

:no: cheers :D

Edited by Sydneykid

Here is a test for your program. These are from my coilovers thank you.

Please sir.

Coil ID: 62.25mm

Wire Dia: 11.00mm

# of Coils: 7.75

AND

Coil ID: 62.00mm

Wire Dia: 10.10mm

Cheers,

Dennis

Here is a test for your program. These are from my coilovers thank you.

Please sir.

Front Coil ID: 62.25mm

Wire Dia: 11.00mm

AND

Rear Coil ID: 62.00mm

Wire Dia: 10.10mm

Cheers,

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Front = 355.063 lbs per inch

Rear = 261.929 lbs per inch (if 10.1 mm)

most likey 10 mm = 252.758 lbs per inch

:P Cheers :(

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mate,

What do u reckon of these?? Supposed to be tanabe springs.

front lower OD - approx 95mm

front upper OD - approx 115mm

front wire OD - 13mm

front no. coils - 9

rears are progressive.

rear lower OD - approx 95mm

rear lower OD - approx 105mm

rear wire OD - 13mm

rear no. coils - 10

cheers,

rol

Edited by rol

Hi mate,

What do u reckon of these?? Supposed to be tanabe springs.

front lower OD - approx 95mm

front upper OD - approx 115mm

front wire OD - 13mm

front no. coils - 9

rears are progressive.

rear lower OD - approx 95mm

rear lower OD - approx 105mm

rear wire OD - 13mm

rear no. coils - 10

cheers,

rol

Hi Rol, fronts are ~190 lbs per inch (3.4 kg/mm) and the rears are ~195 lbs per inch (3.5 kg/mm) on the soft rate. Send me a picture of rear springs, side on, so I can count the progressive coils and I will work out the high rate.

:thumbsup: cheers ;)

Gidday Sydneykid,

The springs are sustec / super H. They are a progressive spring rated spring.

front lower ID - 66mm

front upper ID - 97mm

front wire OD - 12mm

front no. coils - 8

progressive coils - 2

rears are progressive.

rear lower ID - 87mm

rear lower ID - 104mm

rear wire OD - 13mm

rear no. coils - 9

progressive coils - 3

These are hooked up with Ohlin's dampers which need a service. Do you know of anyone in Sydney who can help out?

Thanks mate

Steve

Gidday Sydneykid,

The springs are sustec / super H. They are a progressive spring rated spring.

front lower ID - 66mm

front upper ID - 97mm

front wire OD - 12mm

front no. coils - 8

progressive coils - 2

rears are progressive.

rear lower ID - 87mm

rear lower ID - 104mm

rear wire OD - 13mm

rear no. coils - 9

progressive coils - 3

These are hooked up with Ohlin's dampers which need a service. Do you know of anyone in Sydney who can help out?

Thanks mate

Steve

Hi Steve;

Fronts are ~230/345 lbs per inch (4.1/6.1 kg/mm)

Rears are ~175/305 lbs per inch (3.1/5.4 kg/mm)

None one I know will touch Japanese Ohlins, even the Australian Ohlins agent doesn't have spares.

Cheers

Gary

Thanks for the feedback Gary.

I have a contact in Quennsland who has established ties with the Japanese Ohlin's supplier which includes servicing. I was simply trying to avoid sending the shocks interstate.

Based on your experience in motorsport and nissan skylines, firstly what would you consider the optimum spring rate for an R33 GTST that will primary used for track work( super sprints, hill climb, racing) based on a weight including fluids and driver of 1250/1300kg, rollcage and seam welded, additional strut bracing, semi slicks, 240-300 rwkw.

Secondly the optimum rate for a daily driven R33 GTST.

Thanks Gary

Thanks for the feedback Gary.

I have a contact in Quennsland who has established ties with the Japanese Ohlin's supplier which includes servicing. I was simply trying to avoid sending the shocks interstate.

Based on your experience in motorsport and nissan skylines, firstly what would you consider the optimum spring rate for an R33 GTST that will primary used for track work( super sprints, hill climb, racing) based on a weight including fluids and driver of 1250/1300kg, rollcage and seam welded, additional strut bracing, semi slicks, 240-300 rwkw.

Secondly the optimum rate for a daily driven R33 GTST.

Thanks Gary

We have the shock rates, stabiliser bar sizes and alignment settings to accommodate around 350 lbs per inch in the front and around 225 lbs in the rear for circuit racing. For road use around 225 lbs per inch in the front and 180 lbs per inch in the rear. Plenty of guys use higher spring rates than us to make up for their deficiencies in shock damping, anti roll and alignment.

:bunny: cheers :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have a stock gts4 (4 door, if it makes a difference), and was wondering what the front / back spring rates are.

I'll measure it when I get home, but even thought I couldn't find the info, I wouldn't be surprised if someone knew off the top of their head.

I'll edit this post to include measurements tomorrow, if I don't get an answer.

thanks

EDIT: Thanks. Should have realised it would be a rims off job, so I was gonna do it tonight, or on the weekend.

~2.9 kg/mm... thanks

Edited by ebola

I have a stock gts4 (4 door, if it makes a difference), and was wondering what the front / back spring rates are.

I'll measure it when I get home, but even thought I couldn't find the info, I wouldn't be surprised if someone knew off the top of their head.

I'll edit this post to include measurements tomorrow, if I don't get an answer.

thanks

Around 165 lbs.

:) cheers :)

hi Sydney kid

Do mind doing these for me.

l expext them to be pretty hard, my butt can vouch for it. :ermm:

Front Coil ID: 88mm

Wire Dia: 13.00mm

AND

Rear Coil ID: 86mm

Wire Dia: 12

:yes:

hi Sydney kid

Do mind doing these for me.

l expext them to be pretty hard, my butt can vouch for it. :O

Front Coil ID: 88mm

Wire Dia: 13.00mm

AND

Rear Coil ID: 86mm

Wire Dia: 12

:)

No that bad, 280 lbs per inch (5kg/mm) front and 210 lbs per inch rear (3.7 kg/mm), must be the shocks giving the harsh ride.

:) Cheers :)

No that bad, 280 lbs per inch (5kg/mm) front and 210 lbs per inch rear (3.7 kg/mm), must be the shocks giving the harsh ride.

:D Cheers :)

Hi Sydney Kid

thanks for that.

l accidentally gave you the wrong number of coils on the rear. its actually 8 1/2 coils.

sorry mate :thumbsup:

I have coilover's and l have adjusted the damper every which way and its still really hard. can the coilovers be hard from manufacture regardless of how much you adjust the damper??

I really dont like the ride at the moment, are you still doing that grooup buy from whiteline?

I have a 96 R33 GTST, and would like a soft susepnsion set up.

I was about to call whiteline to have some new springs made.

What do you think is a good idea.

Hi Sydney Kid

thanks for that.

l accidentally gave you the wrong number of coils on the rear. its actually 8 1/2 coils.

sorry mate ;)

I have coilover's and l have adjusted the damper every which way and its still really hard. can the coilovers be hard from manufacture regardless of how much you adjust the damper??

I really dont like the ride at the moment, are you still doing that grooup buy from whiteline?

I have a 96 R33 GTST, and would like a soft susepnsion set up.

I was about to call whiteline to have some new springs made.

What do you think is a good idea.

Based on 8.5 coils the rear spring rate is 185 lbs per inch (3.3 kg/mm), which is quite acceptable road rate.

Many adjustable coil overs only adjust the rebound rate, that's the damping in shock extension. The spring compresses to absorb a bump and then returns to its normal height. Rebound damping controls that return.

What makes a shock harsh is the bump valving, that's the damping in shock compression. The spring compresses to absorb a bump and the shock bump valving adds to the spring rate.

So by adjusting your shocks you may only be changing the rebound damping, which has virtually no effect on the ride harshness. If your coil over kit has sperical bearings in the stut tops that will also contribute to the harshness, especially if the shocks have big bump valving.

You could go for the Group Buy

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=85467

As an alternative, since your spring rates are suitable, you could get Bilsteins shocks (as per the Group Buy)and 4 coil over kits. That way you can use your current springs and top seats plus have height adjustment. The coil over kits are around the same price as the Whiteline springs in the Group Buy, so it's a zero additional cost option.

I did similar for Dave last week, his comments follow

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=114718

PM me if you want to discuss further.

:P cheers :thumbsup:

Edited by Sydneykid