SAU Community

stereo wiring for R33

predator

Ok, well after trial and error and working out mine, here is the stereo wiring for an R33. May even apply to R32 or R34 but not positive. To me its worth doing your own stereo install - not very difficult - depends whether you want to spend 1 hr for free or pay somebody else $50 to do it. It is easy (esp if u don't have to work out this).

The slashed ones are the stripey ones in the two colours.

Green/red - Power Antenna up/down

Front Right Speaker: Brown + black/red

Front Left Speaker : Blue + black/white

Rear Left Speaker : Green + black/yellow

Rear Right Speaker : Orange + purple/black

Accessories (ignition on) : Blue/yellow

+12v from battery : Red/white

Blue/green - edit: Illumination wire - dims the face unit when lights on. thanx guys below

Generally just wired the black from the new stereo to the body via screw.

• 2 months later...
Thanks man, you just solved the issue of me not being able to use my antenna

No worries... Depends on the face unit - some don't have automatic aerial control. You could always rig up your own switch -its basically apply 12v for up, apply 12v again for down.

the tool: Illumination wire? wouldn't that be just taken care of with the normal voltage in to the factory unit? or you mean rigged up to the lights so when the headlights are on the face unit lights up? I could make use of that wire :D

predator666

Actually when the headlights come on the headunit dims as it appears brighter at night. By dimming it will not distract your vision (so they say :) ).

Blue/green - not exactly sure. Could be ground??

Be careful, as when it is metered out it does appear as a ground, but it can be your illumination wire, as the tool stated. I had the miss pleasure of doing this and didn't realize ( head unit worked perfectly) till my friend told me his dash and rear night lights didn't light up. Nothing serious, just kept on blowing the dash fuse. Reconnected head unit's black wire to body and problem

solved.

Thanks for this info.

I assume, through my experience, that "black/red, black/white,

black/yellow and purple/black" are the -ve wires for each speaker?

I am in two minds weather to replace my original unit. It is a factory fitted Alpine double din (two piece) unit. The top unit is you normal (9 yr old) tape/radio with a cd changer. The bottom unit (have no compartment, wich could have come in hand to mount my wolf3d display) is a full graphic eq. (also 9 yr old) with various digital graphs. These are origanal factory optioned as the have inscribed on them, "Alpine Nissfit", even the speakers (which have recently been replaced due to old age :( and too much bass :P ) have this logo. The unit also has a keycard sized remote that has a special compartment in the center consile (sp?). Everything is working, but i would like to get more power to my new speakers and am not sure if it has low-level outputs (i am not too keen on using hi-level inputs on an amp.)

Any opinions/suggestions/knowledge would be great.

This is basically the main ones for a single DIN unit - not for double DIN. Don't know much about them. I did notice a bunch of wires below unused in mine - I assume they are for the double DIN or something else?

My speakers (well the ones i still have till i get some kick ass ones) are Clarion, but they sure are the lowest of the lowest of the range! as i know some clarion stuff can be pretty decent. Not sure whether thats the same with the standard Alpine unit, or it actually is a good unit and not "factory fit" cheap job.

Al: Does the factory Alpine unit have separate line outs or are you talking about just wiring the speaker connections up the amp?

Al: Does the factory Alpine unit have separate line outs or are you talking about just wiring the speaker connections up the amp?

I am not sure, as i have not yet bothered to remove the head unit and eq. to check. I hope it does as this would make things so much easier.

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

For those of you wanting to install an amp in the boot the aerial up wire is indeed green with a red stripe (r33) and can be spliced into from a group of five wires about 15cm to the left of the boot lock.

Just thought i'd drop this trivia in here so the search will pick it up.

Cheers

Phil

Al: u can buy alpine rca convertors, the change ur speaker signal into an RCA signal, and modify the voltage and all the other jazz to make it work properly, my did this when he had his landcruizer and it sounded quite good, there about 80 bucks.