SAU Community

handbrake adjust

predator

Wondering how i go about adjusting my handbrake in R33. At the moment I'm having to give it a full erection to apply the brake and even then its not as tight as i'd like which kinda gets annoying.

I've had a bit of a look under there and its a bit different to other cars I've adjusted it on (which usually have a Y wire type arrangement). It looks kinda like

.........||~==

====||

.........||~==

(ignore the dots, they're just spacers to get the diagram ok)

Now where those wiggle things are it looks a bit like a small adjuster screw. Couldn't find my adjustable wrench (don't u hate that!) when i got under there, but can I screw these in or out to adjust the tauntness ?? Or I notice that each goes off to each wheel with a bit of a bolt there - or do i adjust it there??

Thanks

extremely easy mate. After you take off the boot, you will see a bolt with a nut on it on the pass side of the hand brake. Just keep tightening the bolt till its right. Some people have found that when they tighten it, the bolt comes too far forward and rubs on their hand brake boot, so you may want to cut the end of with a hack saw.

A Hacksaw,,,,PLEASE,,,,this is a Nissan we are talking about,,,,put away the hacksaw for ever.

1/ Remove your back wheels

2/ There is a rubber plug on the rear discs that hides the ADJUSTERS,,,,much like a drum brake rear end on an older car,,,but it's on the front face of the disc,,,,spin the disc around till you find the adjuster,,,using a torch helps....

3/ You need a lever of sorts to click the adjuster around,,,.

If you are in any doubt,,remove your discs and have a look,,,,.

Neil.

Are you talking about inside of the car or outside of the car?

I actually have the centre console out at the moment 'cause i've been playing with it.. If its inside the car then all the better...then i don't have to climb under the car again (its kinda hard with just a jack!)

Thanx ndr...so its at the wheels. Ok, i'll whip them off soon and take a look. I did have a look from behind and saw where the cable went to behind the discs.

Its different to my old R31 but thats not surprising. With the R31 i did it mid-body underneath there was like a double screw thingo.

Originally posted by predator666

Are you talking about inside of the car or outside of the car?

I actually have the centre console out at the moment 'cause i've been playing with it.. If its inside the car then all the better...then i don't have to climb under the car again (its kinda hard with just a jack!)

Will you have the Console out,,,,,Back off the adjuster at the Lever a little bit,,,,Leave about 10mm to 15mm of thread showing,,,The Lever ones just to take up the slack,,,,.You can play with it later....

Neil.

Yep,,,exactly,,,,JUST and I mean JUST touching while spinning the disc,,,you should be able to adjust them with the discs on though,,,,or did I mis-interpret you. After you got that done,,,go to the handbrake lever and just adjust it about a 1/4 of a turn and then lock it up. This will even out the play in the cables.....

Joel,,,how easy is it hey,,,.

Predator666,,,,how did you go???.

Neil.

• 4 months later...

bumping up old stuff... hehe

yer, this still doesn't make heaps of sense to me as i can't recall any sort of rubber access panel on the disc when i check the other day. i'll check again soon

• 4 weeks later...

So... the handbrake works inside the disk then, is there a friction lining that will need replacing sometime?? Gotta say that this is the best handbrake i've ever had on a car.

I'll have a go this weekend as it needs adjusting now.

Thanks for the useful info.

Originally posted by predator666

yer, this still doesn't make heaps of sense to me as i can't recall any sort of rubber access panel on the disc when i check the other day. i'll check again soon

predator666,,,when you remove a rear wheel,,,you will see 5 wheel studs,,,2 threaded holes and 1 slightly larger hole which should have a rubber plug in it. The rubber plug one is to do your adjusting. The 2 threaded holes are so you can remove the disc,,,BUT ONLY ever using High-Tensile bolts as a puller just in case it's a bastard to get off. Take a disc off and have a look,,,you will understand then what I'm saying.

Yes Moschops the inside of the disc has a braking surface and has Drum brake like pads in there and yes sooner or later they will need replacing.

Neil.

• 11 months later...
Digging up an old thread, but is this the same for my 32 GTR?

Ronin are you physic or something. I just walked in after adjusting my handbrake for this weekends motorkhana at Oran Park. I would think that an R32 would be the same,,,just do what I told the others,,,pull off the discs and have a look. In actual fact this is a great idea because you can learn which way the adjuster goes. LSD's are a pain in the arse,,,the wheel will not spin freely.

:thumbsup::):cheers:

Neil.

Ronin are you physic or something. I just walked in after adjusting my handbrake for this weekends motorkhana at Oran Park. I would think that an R32 would be the same,,,just do what I told the others,,,pull off the discs and have a look. In actual fact this is a great idea because you can learn which way the adjuster goes. LSD's are a pain in the arse,,,the wheel will not spin freely.

:thumbsup:  :)  :cheers:  

Neil.

Hey Neil, pilfering a pic from the for sale section (thanks BB GoDZilLa), is the handbrake adjust hole you are talking about the little black cap with the flat head slot set into it?

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/at...achmentid=16142

And what do you mean about the LSD? Since mine is a GTR, will I have to get the bugger up on a hoist so all wheels turn? :confused:

Thanks for the advice though! will tackle this weekend

-marcus

Yep spot on buddy. That slotted plug is rubber and yes it's the adjuster hole,,,Great steal indeed. Now imagine a front wheel drive car,,,it's easy the spin the rear wheels because theres no resistance,,,now try it on your LSD equipped car. It's much harder to spin the rears and that makes it harder to distinguish between the spinning of the wheel and the handbrakes shoes rubbing up against the inner discs. Just be a little conservative.

Neil.

• 1 year later...

Diggin up an old thread, but I did this today, thought I'd take some pics to save confusion for people that don't understand written tut's as well as pics...

This is on a R32 GTST, but I can't see it being too different on other Skylines.

Directions

NOTE: If you want, loosen the handbrake off in the car first, this will give you more adjustment up there to make it easier later on.

1) Chock front wheels so car dont roll

2) take handbrake off (ie. as if you are going to go for a drive)

3) Jack rear of car

4) remove wheels

5) remove rubber plug (it's not in the photos..I already had it removed)

6) spin hub until you can see the gear to adjust (use a torch) but I am guessing all skylines would be in similar position to mine, so it's at about 5-6 o'clock

7) Stick a flat head screwdriver in the hole, use the hub as leverage to push the gear up or down to adjust. You will probably only need spin it a few times unless your handbrake is pretty much not working.

8) Use common sense, it's hard with the LSD, but you want the brakes just touching, then maybe back it off one click.

9) You did both wheels, didn't you?

10) put plug back in put wheel back on....

NOTE: If you decided to loosen the handbrake in the car, make sure you tighten it back up!!

Happy days.

Cheers

Chris

wow, nice gold digging....

btw, if the balance between left and right braking is ok,   if you just want to tighten the lever, see the second post in this thread,  that's all you need to adjust.

Sorry but I have to dis-agree. The Lever adjuster is hidden under the console for a reason. If you do the adjustment at the rears properly you should almost never have to touch the lever one.

Neil.