SAU Community

Oz Vs. Japs

Performance (Bang for Bucks) Oz vs. Japs?  

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we comparing new price vs new price here?! If you start comparing a new ford/holden 50/60K car to a 10 year old import then it's pretty easy to see which is going to give you the bigger bang for your buck.

Didn't the XR6T win the MOTOR bang for your buck prize in 2003 or 2004? They were just comparing the new cars available here though.

Japan has dropped many of its performance cars - no more 200sx ect. In fact I find it hard to even think of any new Jap turbo "performance" cars sold here depite the WRX.

true.. but there are plenty of new japanese 'sports' models that will give most of the "factory spec" aussie cars a good run.. EVO VIII, 350z, RX8, WRX, Liberty.. All have around 200kw.. and for the most part a couple of hundred kilos lighter. Not sure about "value for money" as many of these will cost about $60k brand new off the factory floor, which is what a well specified HSV or FPV will go for.

Even an mx5 turbo with a few minor mods will have a very tight power to weight and handling package.

Are we comparing new price vs new price here?! If you start comparing a new ford/holden 50/60K car to a 10 year old import then it's pretty easy to see which is going to give you the bigger bang for your buck.

Didn't the XR6T win the MOTOR bang for your buck prize in 2003 or 2004? They were just comparing the new cars available here though.

Yeah I'm assuming we are discussing new prices/cars here. No point comparing apples with oranges

I drive a privately imported twin turbo awd 89 skyline, paid 16,000 all up including 1,200 for insurance. I'm 23. Last dyno was 217.5 at all wheels. Bang for buck?

As I said above, can only compare cars of equal age otherwise cost is irrelevant. No doubting the jap cars of this vintage are WAY ahead of the old aussie cars but I thought the original post pertained to NEW models?

"Australian car companys are catching up with JAP technology, well maybe not so much catching up. But are putting they're balls on the line to forget about everything they thought they knew about making cars and adopt tried and proven wasys of making peformance cars."

What I said. Hehe.

I don't think that we have somewhat pulled away, I don't think we ever will. It's just that more and more Australian company's are adopting Japanese know-how on building and producing performance cars. We are merely piggy backing other motor company's hard work.

Aussie built cars will always be cheaper to modify especially due to the recent influx of options available for bolt on fast bits.

Take the VL Turbo for example, Cheap, Easy, Fast and the heart of a Japanese street warrior. The trend continues today. The XR6t has welcomed JAP parts and wisdom into building another cult classic.

So no. I don't think that these modern day Aussie heroes will ever dethrone the immortal Jap street/race kings. (Regardless of fuel economy)

Sava

www.fulllock.com

he XR6t has welcomed JAP parts and wisdom into building another cult classic.

How so? The XR6T engine was completley designed and built in Australia by Australian engineers. What jap engines use a large capacity low boost engine? 6psi...they are for the most part small capacity, high boost. I think the XR6T broke this mould.

I replied to one of your other threads on this already so i'l jus paste my reply here incase you lose it or something. >>>>>

Hi,

They haven't caught up still 5 years behind in my opinion maybe more. And thats what everyone is comparing R34 to BA? I have a BA falcon ute and it aint that great, 70 000km more interior rattles than any reasonably new jap car ive ever ridden in, heck my fathers 1993 landcruiser rattles less!! Same again for my mates '89 silvia, with coil overs.

The brake warning lamp on the dash of my ford comes on even though there is nothing wrong with the brakes, been back to the dealer many times and ford cant fix it god is it gonna be fun trying to sell the thing with that! Might take the globe out LOL. The tail lamps have been replaced a couple of times as a result of water entry, given up on that. I do understand that other cars have issues with that so i'm not to concerned, its just that this is the first car that ive owned that has had that problem, my other cars have all been over 25 years old. So maybe its a new car thing.

You are right the turbo falcons are very fast at the dragstrip especially when modified. And it is the best falcon ever, the amount of falcon taxi's on the roads is testomony to their passenger carrying ability and long term reliability when used as a taxi.

You are right I have never seen a GTR with a tow bar, manual BA falcons are rated to tow 1200kg (2300 for automatics) i'm certain a GTR could pull a box trailer with no problems its just that GTR owners choose not to i guess. The new x-trail is rated to tow 2000kg with trailer brakes so the whole trailer thing is not an issue. If you want to pull trailers buy a Cummins powered Dodge Ram.

Once ford figures out all the little bugs in their cars they will be an excellent compromise. And I can certainly see myself blasting down the quarter mile in an xr6t! But if the turbo falcon interior is anything like the one in my BA ute you can guarantee i'l have the premium sound system cranked the whole way to the track so I can't hear the rattles!

QUOTE(Falcon XR6T @ Aug 5 2005, 06:35 PM)

After the release of Ford's first turbocharged car they couldn't have gone alot better. I've drove one, I got one, and I'm modifying one. And I was just wondering if Australia has finally faced up to the Japs after their defeat at Bathurst. Being extremely cheap to modify (I have over 260rwkw at less than $35k including the cars purchase price), I belive that the weight can be disregarded in this case because of the huge torque it has over the Jap cars and the huge power you can make very cheaply (I've started this thread again because I lost the other one). And plus, if a family occasion pops up you can always take them and friends with you, don't see many GTR's with a towbar do ya? Have your say...

Just wondering where Australian cars sit on the scale these days, e.g XR6 Turbo, HSV Clubsport etc. against the mighty Jap road warriors. As some of you may know, the XR6T, XR8 and HSV clubsports etc. are very cheap and easy to modify compared to some highly priced Japanese cars that are diffcult to get parts for. So in a competition of bang for your bucks I'm wondering if Australia has finally pulled away from the Japs with cheap modifications with huge gains, another plus is the insurance isn't high, cars such as the XR6T are very fuel economic compared to a rotary (such as Japan's mighty RX7), and is still capable of taking friends and family around with plenty of room. Has Australia finally overtaken the Japs after their defeat at Bathurst? Have your say...

The XR6 turbo is the only Australian made car that I really liked. Its the way ford and holden should be going years ago, making a turbo variant of their cars instead of making their engines bigger and bigger.

For me its Japanese all the way. They just have a passion for tuning, and engineering to get the most out of the available high tech engines. Look at the japanese car racing series, its called the JGTC I think compared to Australia's equivalent. I still laugh when I watch V8 supercars on a sunday arvo knowing that a japanese 2.5L JGTC car can run laps around these 5L tanks.

Australia only has two well known tuning houses, HSV and FPV. Japan has a whole array inlcuding the amazing Nismo amongst the big hitters like HKS, APEXi just to name a few. That shows that they are light years ahead of what Australia can offer and they have a true passion for cars and how they should be.

JDM for me

yeah that ^^^

but like someone else said.... its all personal preference, sure aus. has now finally come up with some performance cars that are actually performance cars, not just shit cars that are called "performance" cars by the manufacturer, but the japs started it way back with the 32 GTR and such, plus im not sure what you mean by saying aus's "performance" cars are affordable as opposed to alot of jap cars...... the price tag on FPV and HSV cars are all 50+ thousand dollars..... sure there newer, but for that money i could buy a heap of different jap performance cars and use the excess money on mods and it'd still beat alot of what hsv and fpv have to offer.

my opinion anyways, jap cars all the way :)

If you're talking apples to apples, its not really that easy to compare. The halo models of Japanese manufacturers are purpose-built sports cars. The halo models of Australian manufacturers are converted family cars.

Its not that Australia can't build a true sports car. Its just that the focus is different. Australia just doesn't have the market to spend that much money building such a focused vehicle.

So yes, the GT-R, NSX and RX-7 coupes will stomp on any HSV or FPV sedan, but I'd back a Clubsport R8 or FPV GT against a Lexus GS430 or Nissan G35 sedan. But then, I don't think Japan makes a sports sedan in the same stripe as HSV / FPV.

Until the Joss Supercar goes in to production, I don't think it would be fair to compare it to the NSX's and GT-R's of Japan.

Until then, the closest you're going to come to comparing apples to apples in terms of target market is the Toyota Soarer and HSV coupe. Maybe a G35 coupe too, since its supposed to be a bit more luxo / GT.

A Dodge RAM SRT10 would do me just fine. :D

Me too!

Hennessey performance does a a 1000hp twin turbo upgrade for them

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/hennes...ActionReq=Where

Acceleration (with optional drag wheels/tires):

0-60: 3.1 sec.

1/4 mile: 10.3 sec. @ 133 mph

Front mounted air-to-air intercooler cools air charge from dual ball bearing turbos. Having instant boost on tap at nearly any rpm makes this Ram SRT10 feel like its 2000 lbs lighter. Low rpm and part throttle acceleration are what you would expect from a fast sports car. Full throttle acceleration is just down right impressive - for any kind of car, much less a 5300 lb. pick-up truck.

Damn those crazy yanks LOL that is a seriously quick truck!!

There's a guy out there that has a TT Viper that makes 1000hp....before he hits the laughing gas.

Although in that application, I'd call it the "black and brown skid marks" gas.

Can't find the link, though. The owner said they've never used the nitrous....

have been recently visiting a xr6t forum. Some of the guys there have purchased the f6 typhoon. With very few mods : CAI, injectors, high flow cat and a tune, these cars are making over 300rwkw. Seriously you cant get a GTR to that power figure with only the above mods. The cost of the mods are around 4K.

there was also a short video posted of the midly modified f6 (343rwkw) and I have to say the shear acceleration was intoxicating.

So for a brand new f6 typhoon with all the options (just above 60K) and 4K worth of mods, you have a car that will tear a GTR to shreads in performance, is more comfortable to drive day-in-day-out, has a nicer/ clasier interior and can still be driven effotlessly in sydney traffic.

Sorry but after seeing that video I have been converted.

have been recently visiting a xr6t forum. Some of the guys there have purchased the f6 typhoon. With very few mods : CAI, injectors, high flow cat and a tune, these cars are making over 300rwkw. Seriously you cant get a GTR to that power figure with only the above mods. The cost of the mods are around 4K.

there was also a short video posted of the midly modified f6 (343rwkw) and I have to say the shear acceleration was intoxicating.

So for a brand new f6 typhoon with all the options (just above 60K) and 4K worth of mods, you have a car that will tear a GTR to shreads in performance, is more comfortable to drive day-in-day-out, has a nicer/ clasier interior and can still be driven effotlessly in sydney traffic.

Sorry but after seeing that video I have been converted.

While i agree thats impressive to get 300rwkw out of 4k. I have about 270rwkw out of probably less than 4k of mods. exaust, adj cam gears, more boost, tune prob cost you 3k.... and thats on a 15 year old engine.

Tear a GTR to shreads in performance? I highly doubt one of these 300rwkw 4k moded typhoons would tear my GTR to shreads. In a straight line it maybe close.. the 4k mods wouldn't include tyres, so we'd both still be on average street tyres, the 4wd would really help the GTR get the jump. Put a corner in front of the ford with some braking and i think the GTR would leave it behind.

Haivng said that i do agree it would be more comfortable to drive day-in-day-out (althought i do love driving my GTR day-in-day-out now), no way i'd say it hace a nicer clasier interior than my R33 GTR. My mates XR6's gearsticks plastic surround lost a huge chunk of paint off it (less than a year old) my 10 year old interior is still pretty much spotless. The GTR seats (haven't sat in a typhoon seats so not sure what they come with? bucket or not?) are nice bucket seats that hold you into the seat and everyone that sits in it comments how nice they are to sit in.

While i agree thats impressive to get 300rwkw out of 4k. I have about 270rwkw out of probably less than 4k of mods. exaust, adj cam gears, more boost, tune prob cost you 3k.... and thats on a 15 year old engine.

Tear a GTR to shreads in performance? I highly doubt one of these 300rwkw 4k moded typhoons would tear my GTR to shreads. In a straight line it maybe close.. the 4k mods wouldn't include tyres, so we'd both still be on average street tyres, the 4wd would really help the GTR get the jump. Put a corner in front of the ford with some braking and i think the GTR would leave it behind.

Haivng said that i do agree it would be more comfortable to drive day-in-day-out (althought i do love driving my GTR day-in-day-out now), no way i'd say it hace a nicer clasier interior than my R33 GTR. My mates XR6's gearsticks plastic surround lost a huge chunk of paint off it (less than a year old) my 10 year old interior is still pretty much spotless. The GTR seats (haven't sat in a typhoon seats so not sure what they come with? bucket or not?) are nice bucket seats that hold you into the seat and everyone that sits in it comments how nice they are to sit in.

yeah agreed with that ^^^ although i myself dont own either car i know people that own them, a mate of mine in melb has a 33 GTR and one of dads mates has an XR6T ( i dunno about the typhoon, but i seen one in a car park one day and checked it out inside and it doesnt seem to be that much different to the xr6t ), the GTR wins in every department in my opinion, and its 15yrs older, its sort of unfair to compare a 2005 model car to a 95-99 model car ( i dunno what yrs urs is ferni soz ), in terms of both interior.... of course a 2005 model car will look newer... coz it is dur, and performance.... coz its got more updated technology, but wateva the case i dont needa say anymore coz ferni's said it all :D B)

So for a brand new f6 typhoon with all the options (just above 60K) and 4K worth of mods, you have a car that will tear a GTR to shreads in performance

Only of you measure your "performance" in 1 dimension. Which isn't what the GT-R was designed for.....

Once you graduate to long pants and experience the joy of attacking the corners, your Typhoon won't see which way the GT-R went.

Cubes and others,

I should be fair and say that I had to give up my R33 b/c of family. I remember my wife felt like she was going to give birth in the car due to the ride being so firm.

I always wanted to get an R34 but the ride is even stiffer than in a R33 GTR.

Here is the ford forum with the videos just if your curious what a typhoon sounds like in 2nd gear.

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.ph...opic=19268&st=0

cheers

oz.