SAU Community

Oz Vs. Japs

Performance (Bang for Bucks) Oz vs. Japs?  

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Cubes and others,

I should be fair and say that I had to give up my R33 b/c of family. I remember my wife felt like she was going to give birth in the car due to the ride being so firm.

I always wanted to get an R34 but the ride is even stiffer than in a R33 GTR.

Here is the ford forum with the videos just if your curious what a typhoon sounds like in 2nd gear.

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.ph...opic=19268&st=0

cheers

oz.

Nice videos, i like the sound, looks like fun to drive, but doesn't look quick, from that video I'd kill him, maybe because loosing traction isn't fast.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice videos, i like the sound, looks like fun to drive, but doesn't look quick, from that video I'd kill him, maybe because loosing traction isn't fast.

Being new on here, I hope I don't step on anyone's toes, but my opinion is:

Different horses for different courses, as they say.

In the contest of comparing a GTR against Fords XR6T or Typhoon (which probably belongs in another thread). Ones made for racing in mind, the other a comfortable fast sporty GT sedan for Australian roads.

Also will the ultimate XR6T or Typhoon, have any chance against the likes of a Nismo Z Tune GTR or even the scarely fast Mines GTR.

GTRs are great because they are good at everything, my thoughts are they are a long way from being the best at everything, but in the wash they are never too far off.

Local product, well they are great at certain things, but not so flash in other areas and in general are a little behind. At the end of the day, spend enough money and any car will be quick or good at what it was modified for.

As for corners, GTRs are great at getting out of the corners, from what i have seen they take a fair bit of work to get into and through corners

Now i'm on this thread, haha. To me the 3 golden rules of a good car is.

* Make it stop

* Make it turn

* Make it go

After applying these three rules I wonder how well Some of the aussie built cars stacks up against the japs.

Just a thought. As one of the most respected sport car manufacture in the world PORSCHE achieves legendary status through racing programs with car that are sometime questionable on how "little horsepower" as comparable to the competitors, but where they strike back is in the collosus braking abilities of their cars.

Last I look, a mazda 3 out braked every Ford-Holden-HSV. on a mediocre brake system, that's engineered well.

Last I look, a mazda 3 out braked every Ford-Holden-HSV. on a mediocre brake system, that's engineered well.

That would have more to do with the Mazda 3 weighing 500kg (or more) less than either an FPV or HSV.

Lets face it the Aussie performance cars are good at carrying 5 big people very fast in a straight line for not very much money. They are RWD and will break traction when required - this is all the buyer demographic for these cars seem to want.

If you want something that goes around corners and brakes as well then buy an Sti or EVO (talking new cars here) but your not going to get 5 aussie sized people in them.

Apples and Oranges.

Sounds good. Eventually this too will influence my decision on cars.

When I finish Uni I will most definitely buy a family car so to speak as the R32 is simply too small.

I've got a 6month old little boy, it was a nitemare trying to get him in and out of the baby seat when it was in the capsule position. Now it is facing forward so it is much easier.

My little buzz box will do for another 3 years I estimate.

By that time I will be in my own house, finished uni and have worked for a good solid year.

Then... I honestly will look at either a performance commodore or ford. I am now hooked on forced induction so it will be either the xr6t ford or possible V8 Commodore with a nice APS twin turbo kit.. hah.. I wish.. :)

What I am most likely to do is grab a XR6T, quiet exhaust a little more boost and an edit. Keep the R32, gut it, slap a roll cage in it and enjoy it down at Mallala. Well.. thats what I would like to do.. hah money permits.

I think the 'horses for courses' argument is pretty played out, so I'll relate a personal story.

I've driven an R32 GTR and a XR BA (non turbo) around, but for long distance driving, the Aussie cars are made for aussie conditions.

Granted, the R32 was lowered, and should have been set up better for the long drive (Both were driven from Broken Hill to Adelaide, about a 600km drive) but the XR's added weight meant that driving over the assorted pot holes, rail tracks and stuff meant nothing, whereas in the skyline, we had to be really careful not to scrape anything.

But having said that, the GTR was not mine, so I was extra cautious.

All in all, I'd rather hit a roo in a falcon than a skyline. Though I'd rather drive a skyline on better quality roads.

I think the 'horses for courses' argument is pretty played out, so I'll relate a personal story.

I've driven an R32 GTR and a XR BA (non turbo) around, but for long distance driving, the Aussie cars are made for aussie conditions.

Granted, the R32 was lowered, and should have been set up better for the long drive (Both were driven from Broken Hill to Adelaide, about a 600km drive) but the XR's added weight meant that driving over the assorted pot holes, rail tracks and stuff meant nothing, whereas in the skyline, we had to be really careful not to scrape anything.

But having said that, the GTR was not mine, so I was extra cautious.

All in all, I'd rather hit a roo in a falcon than a skyline. Though I'd rather drive a skyline on better quality roads.

Ditto..as said: Ones made with racing in mind i.e race tracks with smooth surfaces and the other for Aus Roads..then again one should try the R34 GTR M -spec with special damping technology from Le Mans racing knowledge to dial out those rough surfaces at high speed...

id take a jap car over oz pretty much any day

yeah same, although ford and holden are making "performance" cars now, they really arent up to scratch with the rest of the world yet, a performance car has to do that... perform, sure fpv and hsv have made cars that can keep up with other cars from japan and europe in a straight line, but on a track, where suspension, braking, power to weight etc all come into play, nothing hsv or fpv have to offer could compare to GTR-s and such from tuning houses in japan.....

Amir,

I saw the clips a couple of days ago and I was quite impressed as to how fast it jumps from 60-100km/h. Made me a bit envious that I didn't go ahead with my order for one. However I think the amount of power that that guy has is getting a bit ridiculous. No point having it when you can't use it. Just look at how much wheel spin he is getting. From what I've read/heard they are a bitch to launch because if you don't get enough revs it bogs down and if you rev it a bit more than you should the the wheels spin like crazy. That's on a stock car so just imagine how hard it'll be for this guy to launch/shift gears.

perform, sure fpv and hsv have made cars that can keep up with other cars from japan and europe in a straight line, but on a track, where suspension, braking, power to weight etc all come into play, nothing hsv or fpv have to offer could compare to GTR-s and such from tuning houses in japan.....

Ok, im not saying they are better, but very rarely is the argument balanced so i will play the devils advocate...from teh latest Motor Magazine and their pperformance comparo at Wakefiled Park, a track that needs good suspension first, brakes second and power 3rd

The results (all are latest model / new cars):

1. 1:10.12sec - WRX STI

2. 1:10.25sec - EVO VIII

3. 1:10.50sec - Boxter S

4. 1:10.69sec - HSV Clubsport DTS :P

5. 1:11.40sec - Crossfire SRT6

6. 1:12.15sec - 350Z 25th Ann.

7. 1:12.70sec - SS Commodore :)

8. 1:12.8sec - WRX

9. 1:13.00sec - Falcon GT

10. 1:13.15sec - HSV GTO

13. 1:13.8sec - XR8

16. 1:14.7sec - Integra Type S

18. 1:14.85sec - BMW 330

And the top speed of the HSV DTS at Wakefield was 2nd only to the Crossfire, so quicker then the EVO/STI/Boxster/350Z etc etc

0-100km/h the HSV Clubsport DTS was quickest, dido the 1/4 mile...how can you say its not a performance car???

So consider the facts before saying they arent performance cars, 6/10 slower then an EVO around a tight twisty track. Somewhere like Phillip Island or Sandown the HSV would be quicker. For a Clubsport to be 2/10 slower then a Boxster S around a track, not forgetting its a big sedan...be fair ppl...that is damn quick ;)

remember he said he only applied light throttle. It must be fast as eveyone who has been in the car has been shocked by its speed.

Well said Roy. I was going to mention the same thing but restrained myself from posting :)

Amir, no doubt that the car in the clip is powerful. The guy did mention that he didn't apply more throttle coz he had to balance the wheel spin.

wats the difference between the xr8 and fpv gtp other than the fpv being like twice the price?

i think the fpv has got to be the biggest rip off car ever, would u spend all that money 4 that or a r34 GTR? i think the answer is obvious.

my mate traded in his vt clubby and payed like 60k ontop 4 the new fpv and i thought to myself "omfg what has he done" and now i think he regrets it but wont admit it cause he keeps telling me that he gets beaten by Jap cars all the time

I am just going to jump in here and give my 2c worth without reading all the posts :blink:

Jap cars are very cheap to do up here in Australia now, parts are everywhere, in fact for the sellers it would seem as though there are too many parts. So I wouldn’t say they are more expensive than say a Ford XR6T, in fact I would suggest it is the other way around.

Personably, I feel Jap cars are much cheaper to pick up and are easier to mod. The R33 Skyline is a perfect example, or the R32 GTR. I wont give a GTR as an example as I don’t own one and I really have no idea how you can beat one without a GTR :)

For about $5000 anyone can build an R33 GTSt capable of around 250rwkws (After Ben Tunes it). With that kind of power there are few standard road cars that will even come close. I don’t think $5000 will get you much for a GenIII V8, but then I am not completely sure about this. I also have no idea how much a XR6T costs to mod but I assume its over $5000 to get a reasonable performance gain.

Anyway, at the end of the day we are comparing oranges to apples. All I know is at the time of purchasing my car (2002) it was either a 5.0L VN SS or an R33 GTSt Skyline, the option was simple.

have been recently visiting a xr6t forum. Some of the guys there have purchased the f6 typhoon. With very few mods : CAI, injectors, high flow cat and a tune, these cars are making over 300rwkw. Seriously you cant get a GTR to that power figure with only the above mods. The cost of the mods are around 4K.

there was also a short video posted of the midly modified f6 (343rwkw) and I have to say the shear acceleration was intoxicating.

So for a brand new f6 typhoon with all the options (just above 60K) and 4K worth of mods, you have a car that will tear a GTR to shreads in performance, is more comfortable to drive day-in-day-out, has a nicer/ clasier interior and can still be driven effotlessly in sydney traffic.

Sorry but after seeing that video I have been converted.

In order to compare like with like, if we're talking typhoon, shouldn't we be talking Nismo, and therefore the GTR Z Tune or R Tune?

The typhoon is developed from the performance arm of a manufacturer, as are the GTR Z tune and R tune. And the day i see an out of the box Typhoon "tear a (out of the box) GTR (Nismo Z or R tune) to shreads" is the day I will hang up the keys and jump on the pushy.