SAU Community

Oz Vs. Japs

Performance (Bang for Bucks) Oz vs. Japs?  

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

have been recently visiting a xr6t forum. Some of the guys there have purchased the f6 typhoon. With very few mods : CAI, injectors, high flow cat and a tune, these cars are making over 300rwkw. Seriously you cant get a GTR to that power figure with only the above mods. The cost of the mods are around 4K.

there was also a short video posted of the midly modified f6 (343rwkw) and I have to say the shear acceleration was intoxicating.

So for a brand new f6 typhoon with all the options (just above 60K) and 4K worth of mods, you have a car that will tear a GTR to shreads in performance, is more comfortable to drive day-in-day-out, has a nicer/ clasier interior and can still be driven effotlessly in sydney traffic.

Sorry but after seeing that video I have been converted.

That’s okay it just means there will be even more over confident Ford owners getting annihilated by GTR owners :blink:

I don’t understand how you can get hung up on the interior and suggest that the XR6T is a nicer car to drive. That kind of statement just suggests to me that you are not a DRIVER yourself.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

remember he said he only applied light throttle. It must be fast as eveyone who has been in the car has been shocked by its speed.

So if he applied more throttle he would of wheelspun more and i would of left an even bigger gap between us?

Wheelspin doesn't equal speed.

In order to compare like with like, if we're talking typhoon, shouldn't we be talking Nismo, and therefore the GTR Z Tune or R Tune?

The typhoon is developed from the performance arm of a manufacturer, as are the GTR Z tune and R tune. And the day i see an out of the box Typhoon "tear a  (out of the box) GTR (Nismo Z or R tune) to shreads" is the day I will hang up the keys and jump on the pushy.

he he he - im going to play devils advocate as well :blink:

How much does a GTR Z tune cost - over $100K right?

An F6 Typhoon costs $60K. A stock one on fordforums.com.au has run a 13.2 quarter. Now put the spare $40K (to meet the price of the GTR) of mods into it and see which is the quicker car.

Everyone is still talking used cars here as well - why would someone in the market for a new XR6T even consider a 15 year old skyline? They are just not the same type of buyer - What NEW car does Nissan produce that would outperform a Clubsport or XR6T which come with 3 year warranties from the manufacturer? The reason people dont go out a buy an R34 GTR as someone said is because they have no warranty and insurance is a nightmare.

They are all good points but we are still wasting our time comparing apples to oranges. Because the R34 GTR has no warranty and insurance is expensive, does that make it slower? Less of a performance car? NO!

If I had my choice of a GTR Z Tune or an F6 Typhoon it’s obvious which one I would choose, but then I would take a plain old R34 GTR over the F6 Typhoon. Its personal preference and I do believe the GTR is a superior vehicle.

You are either in the market for a new car or a super fast car, if you want both you will have to step up to something a little more expensive.

“An F6 Typhoon costs $60K. A stock one on fordforums.com.au has run a 13.2 quarter. Now put the spare $40K (to meet the price of the GTR) of mods into it and see which is the quicker car.”

Why not buy an R33 GTR for $30K and then spend another $30K on that :blink: It’s not new, it’s not insurable but its bloody fast. Is a 350rwkw+ F6 Typhoon insurable?

I still wonder how reliable these new Ford Turbo cars are? The GTR has proven itself over the last decade, the F6 Typhoon has a long way to go!

They are all good points but we are still wasting our time comparing apples to oranges. Because the R34 GTR has no warranty and insurance is expensive, does that make it slower? Less of a performance car? NO!

If I had my choice of a GTR Z Tune or an F6 Typhoon it’s obvious which one I would choose, but then I would take a plain old R34 GTR over the F6 Typhoon. Its personal preference and I do believe the GTR is a superior vehicle.

You are either in the market for a new car or a super fast car, if you want both you will have to step up to something a little more expensive.

“An F6 Typhoon costs $60K. A stock one on fordforums.com.au has run a 13.2 quarter. Now put the spare $40K (to meet the price of the GTR) of mods into it and see which is the quicker car.”

Why not buy an R33 GTR for $30K and then spend another $30K on that :blink: It’s not new, it’s not insurable but its bloody fast. Is a 350rwkw+ F6 Typhoon insurable?

I still wonder how reliable these new Ford Turbo cars are? The GTR has proven itself over the last decade, the F6 Typhoon has a long way to go!

All good points - of course i agree that the GTR is the superior vehicle, all i'm getting at is you can only compare a new car with a new car in the same price bracket and a used car to a used car in the same price bracket, which (i think) you seem to agree on anyway :lol:

as per the original post though on wether aussie performance cars have caught up with the jap manufacturers i still think the answer is yes - not because the aussies have done anythign wizz bang, mainly because the japs have dropped all their performance cars! A Clubsport or F6 (approx $60K) outperform the jap opposition 350z ($60k) and RX8 ($60K) easily the only jap contender left is the Sti which hands them all their arses on a plate - but once again the sti is a purpose built sports car, the aussies are all pumped up family cars.

In order to compare like with like, if we're talking typhoon, shouldn't we be talking Nismo, and therefore the GTR Z Tune or R Tune?

The typhoon is developed from the performance arm of a manufacturer, as are the GTR Z tune and R tune. And the day i see an out of the box Typhoon "tear a  (out of the box) GTR (Nismo Z or R tune) to shreads" is the day I will hang up the keys and jump on the pushy.

A typhoon should be compared to a std GTR - you will find the typhoon wont be far behind and the driver will be far more comfortable- this was what I believe motor mag. found when comparing a typhoon to an R34 (which was not std). Even the owner of the R34 said, it was not a practical car- it stalled on startups, tramlines even on midly rough surfaces, ride is almost go-kart firm, the driver needs to know how to drive the car to the limit (ie most GTR owners most probably couldnt take the GTR around a corner quickely anyway and would end up kissing a telegraph poll).

The reason is the torque these cars are producing. 550nm at 2500-5000 RPM (or something like that). This is the reason why many say the RB26 is outclassed by the supra twin turbo engine, purely because it can pull so much more effortlessly. A typhoon with minimal mods, producing 340rwkw with 700nm torque is exceptional. Isnt it??? Autospeed tested a xr6T with a phase III aps kit and commented that the car broke the laws of physics, accelerating from 100km/hr to 200km/hr in a blink of an eye. It still retained factory drivability, didnt stall on startup and so on. An xr6t can be purchased for 35K (2003 model) and the phase III kit I believe costs around 9K.

I particulrly never liked any ford or holden. I love my skylines (sold my R33) and also have a TT soarer. The next car I will probably get will be a typhoon MKIII or an STi. Never driven an STi but if the turbo lag is as bad as they say, it will be an easy decision to make.

I don't believe the japanese have drop all their performance cars. All they have done is doing a short term disappearing act and re-emerging under a different badge ie toyota-lexus, honda-acura, nissan-infinity.

What the japanese are actually doing is, they are confident that their car are as good, or world leading class act, and they deserve better retail price and they're not going to achieve that under the existing home brand badge. Toyota has done a superb job of this, and the rest are following.

My guess are that the new GTR, integra,supras,nsx are going to pop up in a couple of years time with all new technologies under them and with it a big $$$ sticker price.

As far as aussie car have caught up, this is almost laughable when you go looking under the bonnets of car from both side of the ocean.

A typhoon should be compared to a std GTR - you will find the typhoon wont be far behind and the driver will be far more comfortable- this was what I believe motor mag

i guess motor magazine change their opinions pretty quickly.

brakes and gearbox are okay. i was flopping around in the seat a bit

taken from Sept Motor, where the Phoon was given the thumbs down for its track ability.

1st STI

2nd EVO

3rd HSV DTS

stop being a horsepower queen and actually get out to a track day where the whole cars ability is tested, i work for HRT and watch a lot of the track days and events between HSV and FPV owners and know what both their capabilities are, you cannot compare the two cars (japs and aussie built), i know you guys get ansy in your pansy over the fact theirs a turbo but the japs have been doing this for years, they know their sh!t.

(ie most GTR owners most probably couldnt take the GTR around a corner quickely anyway and would end up kissing a telegraph poll).

these people should drive fords.

Aussie cars have a lot of power and impressive power numbers but take them to a track and they fail to shine in comparisson to an EVO 8, STi or R32 GT-R.

That massive Aussie car challenge they had in MOTOR Magazine recently was a let down. All the cars featured did very average times around Eastern Creek (I have done faster than all of the cars featured in my fairly stock R32 GT-R - all stock except suspension and rubber and I am a track newbie to boot).

That said, I think that the powerful aussie cars are not made for track work. I think these cars are more for eating up the highway in great comfort. They're for executives, rich older guys.

But in all honesty I love where it's going. I think the new Fords look so mean and I'd love to see a 2 door. The Monaro is also a mean looking car now, fantastic but in the end of the day they're just not for me.

1st STI

2nd EVO

3rd HSV DTS

stop being a horsepower queen and actually get out to a track day where the whole cars ability is tested,

I dont get what you are saying...so are you sayign the HSV is a good thing or not??? Surely the pace of it at a place like Wakefield is impressive...and the thing had the quickest top end and 1/4 mile time...

LOL...if my employer was giving me a company car then i would take the HSV, what else is there? If i somehow I could afford the similar figure for a personal purchase, id be looking at something other then local product.

I don’t think $5000 will get you much for a GenIII V8, but then I am not completely sure about this.

Cam, exhaust, filter and re-chip and the things are makign between 250-270rwkws arent they. So that would be cheaper then tryign to get that sort of power out of GTST.

Aussie cars have a lot of power and impressive power numbers but take them to a track and they fail to shine in comparisson to an EVO 8, STi or R32 GT-R.

But hang on, the Clubsport DTS seems to be an exception to the rule. Its only a few thenths slower on a slow, twisty track, at a place like Oran Park, Eastern Creek or Phillip Island the thing owuld be quicker...

Its hard to compare the times i have done in my car cause im a long way from a professional driver so cant really tell. Id like to have seen the DTS tested at EC

Woudl like to see hwo an SV6000 goes at the track as well. There are a number of GTR owbers who struggle to do the lap times of the HSV/STI/EVO at Wakefield....again im not saying its the best, and it does use good rubber to boot, but for a std production car it is more then credible, i say its impressive.

an xr6t beating a gtr in anything is a funny thought :D

Weight :angry:

A good mate of mine works at Holden, he also does quite a bit of work on my old R33 and he really knows his stuff. Anyway, he recons there is so much Holden needs to do before there cars are even as advanced as my old R33. I cannot quote exactly what he was talking about but a lot of it was engine refinement and suspension setup.

While i agree thats impressive to get 300rwkw out of 4k. I have about 270rwkw out of probably less than 4k of mods. exaust, adj cam gears, more boost, tune prob cost you 3k.... and thats on a 15 year old engine.

Tear a GTR to shreads in performance? I highly doubt one of these 300rwkw 4k moded typhoons would tear my GTR to shreads. In a straight line it maybe close.. the 4k mods wouldn't include tyres, so we'd both still be on average street tyres, the 4wd would really help the GTR get the jump. Put a corner in front of the ford with some braking and i think the GTR would leave it behind.

Haivng said that i do agree it would be more comfortable to drive day-in-day-out (althought i do love driving my GTR day-in-day-out now), no way i'd say it hace a nicer clasier interior than my R33 GTR. My mates XR6's gearsticks plastic surround lost a huge chunk of paint off it (less than a year old) my 10 year old interior is still pretty much spotless. The GTR seats (haven't sat in a typhoon seats so not sure what they come with? bucket or not?) are nice bucket seats that hold you into the seat and everyone that sits in it comments how nice they are to sit in.

I paid $26k for my XR6T, have spent less than $3,500 and have near 350rwkw on 10psi boost. Bring you're under $30,000 GTR/Supra all up and we'll see who wins, and hell, I'll even bring my family along.

BTW Ferni, the BA XR6T/Typhoon handle alot better than you think, if you still don't believe me, then just watch me keep right on you're arse in the corners, then fly past you on the straight sideways.  :angry:

I am putting my hand up for that challenge!

Do you live near Berwick? Emerald rd in Upper Beaconsifled is a nice little run that I would be more than happy to school you on :angry:

I don't do public roads, I don't know where Berwick is either. The closest racetrack to me is Mallala, I schooled a few Evo's there, and I'd be more than happy to put my money where my mouth is and show you a couple of things, what are you running?