SAU Community

Are 12's The New 13's?

MADGT4

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really has got to the point where a 13 second pass isn't anything to write home about. Flipping through this year's Bang for your Bucks issue of Motor magazine, no less than 6 cars ran in the 13s (HSV Clubsport, Subaru STi, Chrysler SRT6, Porsche Boxter S, Mitsubishi Evo VIII, Falcon XR8), with two others within a bees dick (HSV GTO 14.0, FPV F6 Typhoon 14.01). When there are this many stock standard vehicles running 13 second passes, it really loses it's impact.

I think for sure that 12's are the new 13's. And it won't be long before 12's just aren't that special anymore. The German's are already there - the BMW M5, Mercedes E55 and Audi RS6 all run 12's stock, and they're all big heavy sedans. How long before 11's are the norm?

Its very true that cars are getting faster these days but you come to a point where traction overcomes power. The difference between running a high 13 and a high 12 is about 10 car lengths, (think about it now). Are there any HSV cars or CSV cars running 12's with their huge power?

Traction is the key, thats why you can get midly modified GTR's running 11's,.

Mine runs 12.5 in street trim from a mild GTST. At the strip i had great traction, on the road i have no traction. I would be lucky to run a 13 on the road. Though lately i bought some good rubber RA1's and it has made all the difference to traction. I think with a bit more power, i could possibly run a 11.

having been a regular spectator at WSID, unless the car does a huge launch and/or wheelie, or runs 10's....
... or think that the water/burnout area is actually the starting line, do a burnout and continue straight past the starting tree, across the line and then not realise their is a hairpin at the end of the track and beach your car in the sand (as 2 cars did last week).
...not many people are interested.

I'm happy to say that I cracked a 12 with the Std turbo on my final run at WSID tonight :P;):D

ET: 12.993 @ 104.40mph (60" 1.777)

After so many 13.1's and 13.0', it was good to finally get there :)

Also ended up winning 3rd in the reaction time competition, so a bloody good night all round :)

i guess it depends who you hang around (as most people have said)

Im 18, and at my tafe; i get alot of people talking to me about cars and stuff, and to them 13's is fast but then again they dont really know about carsm dont understand the idea of supporting mods and think all u need is huge turbo with ahist load of boost.

im still tring to crack a 13's with my r33, god-dame rb20 turbo :( im only making 200-210rwhp if im lucky @ 12psi

I'm happy to say that I cracked a 12 with the Std turbo on my final run at WSID tonight :(:P:)

ET: 12.993 @ 104.40mph (60" 1.777)

After so many 13.1's and 13.0', it was good to finally get there :)

Also ended up winning 3rd in the reaction time competition, so a bloody good night all round :D

Well done, excelent time, welcome to the elusive 12 second stock turbo club!! What tyres are you running to get that 1.777 60'?? Did you dump it or ease out the clutch?

Congrats :( Weren't many cars there - how many runs did you get?

I got 7 runs in - definately a good night to be competing. There was a good representation of Skyline's - noticed a few GTR's (incl CYIFLY and Mik?) and the usual array of GTST's.

Well done, excelent time, welcome to the elusive 12 second stock turbo club!! What tyres are you running to get that 1.777 60'?? Did you dump it or ease out the clutch?

Thanks mate - it was a good feeling to finally get that 12 :P

I was using BF Goodrich drag radial tyres. I think I pretty much just dumped the clutch from 5000rpm on that last run and the tyres just hooked up perfectly. It was the best 60" I've ever done :)

Yeah a few GTR's about last night. Can't believe it was so quiet, maybe they all got scared because of how cold it was the previous week.

Thankgod a 20yo won that 'Miss Wicked Wednesday' comp, too many 16yo's. How hot did Monique look :(:P:)

picsorban...ill have to come next week just to check out drag racing flange

Tough crowd to please, 12s or better otherwise....to me im more concerned about the mph...acceleration between 100-200km/h is more impressive then 0-100km/h

I only saw one black R32 GTR (11.8), one white R33 GTR (11.9?) , and one white R34 [CYIFLY] which ran an 11.7, but I got ther late. Is Mik's the R33?

Mik did a few high 11's best been 11.7 and best mph 122 but he had some fuel problems .

I will be out there in a couple weeks ( when my clutch is run in ) to see what i can do .