SAU Community

How To: Stagea Headunit/stereo Removal

AlexCim

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

280420063sr.jpg

You are quite lucky that i have a big hole in my dash.

Here is a photo of the power antenna wire. As i said, the wire for it is taped to the antenna wire (which in my case bends downwards). The two wires are then covered in some foam stuff and go up and to the left...or the right, i cant really tell.

That black/yellow wire is what you attach to the antenna.

If that wire is not attached (like mine), you will get terrible reception (in dips in the road/under bridges etc, reception will cut out. When you do attach it, it really REALLY makes listening to the radio a lot better.

I am just lazy to fix it for now.

This thread has help so much! When I'd got the motivation to do it it took ten minutes to pull it all out replace a fuse and now we have sound! Heaps better than listening to the iPhone speakers!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks heaps for the advice on this thread, I just installed a JVC media unit in under an hour which for me is great. Luckily the existing loom from the stock kenwood deck clipped straight in. Cheers

After taking out the stacker in the boot section of the stag there are 2 ugly brackets left which appear to be glued to the floor! :( Anyone had experience removing these without destroying the carpets?

• 1 year later...

Just found this write-up, thanks so much for this post! Much easier than other cars I've worked on.

Discovered the antenna issue, just ordered an adapter on ebay.

My next step is installing my sub, amp, and speakers, I've heard you need spacers for them. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Cheers!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We need updated photos... although I managed to swap the radio (even though i'm pretty sure I blew a fuse so it doesn't work lol) it would still be nice to have photos for others wanting to know.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 25/08/2005 at 11:33 AM, AlexCim said:

Thanks to STAGE-A for the wiring

12V ------- Brown with white stripe

Ignition -------- light blue with yellow stripe

Lights -------- Red with blue stripe

Earth -------- Just use the stereo metal brackets

and heres the speaker connection wires (stagea s1 at least)

left front ---- blue (+) black with white stripe (-)

right front ---- brown (+) black with red stripe (-)

left rear ----- mint green (+) black with yellow stripe (-)

right rear ---- orange (+) black with pink stripe (-)

Useful tip guys and girls:

Always use a circuit tester as opposed to a test light, and always be very careful when doing so!

Test lights, when used incorrectly, have been known to trigger air-bags, leading to a hell of a lot of wasted cash and a big clean-up, not to mention any personal injury that may occur when a bag goes off while you're in such close proximity to the dash and/or the steering wheel.

The force and speed at which an air-bag inflates is not something you'd really want to experience first hand.

Tip if your hookin up a DVD playa as i did and want to be able to play when your driving (not just when you have the foot brake on) simply connect the hand brake wire from the deck with the earth wire from the deck and earth them both together. simple!! WARNING technically this is illegal and im not advising you to do this if your screen is in the front.

So lets get started ripping that sucker out!

Pull out the ash tray and remove the screw from behind it

tray8ze.thumb.jpg.caaa5ac74b766d2b4216c41b7e74923a.jpg

Remove all your stuff from your centre console.

Stick in the screw driver here. You can also pull from the indent thing where you put things, pull up. Make sure the car is not in park, otherwise it wont come out. I just put it in N or something

11zl.thumb.jpg.df516b0a658a2c1c20e2785c7f2690bf.jpg

Now that your console is off, unplug the ciggie lighter plugs from the back of it

28ki.thumb.jpg.95107423c3e21138d6c817053ebbec03.jpg

On 25/08/2005 at 11:34 AM, AlexCim said:

Move the console off to the side, no need to unplug anything. I have extra stuff down there (hi/low boost switch)

31xp.thumb.jpg.50e980e23a169959bb00d08819528414.jpg

If you have two hands, i didnt (camera) put the screw driver in the two locations. Put them pretty deep so that they get behind the vent.

48pr.thumb.jpg.e165d79bbb5299ffdc4b7f1bf496fbbd.jpg

The vent will just pop off once you have done that

53qc.thumb.jpg.be7f7382b4637cbca0347cd32008f872.jpg

Remove the screws that hold the stereo surround on. Also there are some clips. On my car, they were really loose and easy to pop off

64cd.thumb.jpg.4e8c29c0a69e50c589e15438803ce428.jpg

It will just slide off now.

76gi.thumb.jpg.050bc898305027768ce796ee80c5483e.jpg

There are screws under the above the frame of the units. Make sure you remove the lower ones first. be careful not to drop any. If you do, when you remove the whole unit you will be able to grab them. Once the screws are out, the unit will drop a bit. Its fine, dont get scared.

80ck.thumb.jpg.2b69e265bd6cd9b215b4b7999058b22d.jpg

The unit will now just drop off.

98dc.thumb.jpg.e15eff130adab2e8dee0cf2296ffbb95.jpg

Pull it out and do what is desired

104su.thumb.jpg.8ab5a85b6856fde8aa405208cf1f9d07.jpg

Screws for the stuff are on the side. When you remove things there are also "indents" that hold the units in. You MAY need to flex the frame a little to pull anything out (i was like wtf when i had to remove my DIN slot)

110ph.thumb.jpg.b0f5acbc99083e2a3d35350b66239462.jpg

To reinstall, follow the reverse. All the screws are the same, so dont worry about mixing them up.

Good luck. I cant offer wrie diagrams as i didnt install the headunit myself, maybe someone else can post them here and ill update the post.

Fixed photos in the quotes above. The original links are dead. Luckily they were captured by the internet archive.