SAU Community

Stagea Turbo Upgrade

Tangles

Hiya all.

Well, the turbo I bought (was told it was a R34 Neo turbo from a forum member) is actually a standard series 2 R33 turbo. A bit unhappy about that.

Went to see Bill at Adelaide Turbo Services... he's explained what GCG do for the $2000 upgrade option, and what he can do for $2100. ATS will use steel wheels, new bearings, and make the turbo to be like a GT30 internally, capable of high boost. Contact him for more details, but its a similar 'stage' of the GCG upgrade.

So, Im now saving up $2100 to go this way. Oh well, no great rush. I'll just put everything on the back burner for 6months and go from there.......

Edited by bwilkeson

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
Damn!

I need to find a turbo place here in melbourne to do a turbo rebuild for me... or ill just send it to GCG

Alex, Bill at Adelaide Turbo Services can help you out, apparently he does a lot of work in conjunction with GCG.

In fact he told me he sends customers turbos to GCG for the GCG $1950 rebuild, but if they want something slightly stronger he has his $2100 ATS rebuild turbo option.

This ATS option makes the turbo internally into a GT30 turbo (as such) with large steel wheels, new bearings etc, full rebuild, whilst still looking like a stock R33 turbocharger & actuator. Bill says its a stronger option than a GCG rebuild...... I reckon he's an honest bloke, and Graham West Workshops swear by him, so Im going this way - but will take me a year to save the cash. Maybe :rolleyes:

In the meantime, Ive got my Apexi cooler, getting some pipes sent to me and some silicone tubing, and Im going to attempt to install it myself in around 3 weeks time. Prices that Ive been getting for installation are ludicrous.....

After that my fuel system gets upgraded with high pressure lines and a bosch 040 pump, all my parts get installed (Z32 AFM, Nismo FPR, and Apexi SITC), and will have a full retune on the dyno at 10 & 12psi on my EBC.

Brendan

Yeh, i dont know, 2k will take me a few months (the benifits of living at home and having no REAL expenses)

I have sitting here at home with me

PFC

Z32

Soon ill buy

NISMO 555's

Fuel lines

Anyone know if i will need a FPR with the 040 if i dont change the injectors (aka, install it right away without waiting for the other stuff)

Also with the 555's will i nee the FPR?

I have a blown s1 r33gtst turbo, anyone know of a decent shop in brissie that can do a good job at highflowing it, or is it worth posting it down to GCG?

I assume because I have a S1 stagea this will be a direct bolt on once rebuilt?

Also how much am I looking at to highflow/rebuild it?

I thought the S1 stagea's had S2 skyline engines. the only difference i noticed between the S1 R33 and S1 Stagea was the coil packs, i forget the name of the bit at the back of the engine that runs the coils, but my S1 stagea doesn't have it, it's inbuilt in the coils.

I don't know if this applies to the turbo though, but just something that should be confirmed

An engine in a 1997 Stagea surely would be the same as in a 1997 R33 coupe.

Basic rebuilds start from $700, but a hiflow job with steel wheels is $1950 at GCG or $2100 at ATS. I believe this sort of translates to a 'Stage 2' and a 'Stage 2.5' !!!

Ska, Im positive it'd be a direct bolt on.....

Damn!

I need to find a turbo place here in melbourne to do a turbo rebuild for me... or ill just send it to GCG

ATP on Princess hwy just past Chaddy can do it. Don't have their details on hand atm, but they did my T03/04e thats going on other car, reasonably priced, and quick turnaround.

But that was done through workshop l use.

Hey make sure you take pics of the cooler & bolting it on this weekend. Wanna see how easy it is!! ;)

Edited by [ STAGEN ]

Hey make sure you take pics of the cooler & bolting it on this weekend.  Wanna see how easy it is!! ;)

Hi Stagen,

Yeah mate I will take photos.... Ive ordered a 2.5inch 6061 grade aluminium pipe kit from USA (wasnt too expensive for a heap of pipes and connectors - off ebay), and 4x 2.5inch to 2inch silicone pipe reducers (for the ends of the 'cooler and standard pipes that connect to the side mount 'cooler),

Bear in mind this is a 'C-bend' style Apexi 'Hybrid' intercooler so I get to use the standard holes for the piping.

Im going to do the install over 5 days during the week once I receive the pipes, in around 2 weeks time. Just going to take my time with it, as Im not that great with my hands as such. I'll post it all up once its done!

brendan :lol:

Sort of like this one?

4352FMIC.jpg

Took me a day to fit, including cutting the bumper support, bumper, and remounting the transmission cooler (don't forget to do this, otherwise overheating transmission for you!). mine is a GReddy/Trust kit, but i assume you've got a similar kit.

Wow!! nice!

See page 3 of this thread for pics of my Apexi cooler. Quite similar, except Ive got the 'cooler only and need to custom the pipes..... buying a boxload of pipes and will use what I need - probably have heaps to spare though.

My 'cooler looks narrower, not by a huge amount though. Its actually meant for a S13 and flows upto 400hp. Going to take my time with the work, just a bit here and there when daylight savings is here.

Thanks for the tip about the auto oil cooler.... as it is Im going to do the valve body auto changeover at MV Auto's plus a big oil cooler kit. But thanks for the mention! I'll make sure it still gets the airflow...............

I am getting my GTR cooler fitted as we speak, car comes out the shop tomorrow.

I am getting SS pipes made for it, same layout as on Ska's car. I am not a welder/have pipes so i had to get a workshop to do it.

At the same time, they are fitting my SECOND dump/front pipe in one... it needs one more slight bend in it.. bloody argh! At least ill have a split

Alex can you take pics please of the dump pipe and the extra bend. Coz bosimporting is where l'm thinking of getting one through.

Once the wheels and stuff for sale is gone, l'm planning on using the money to get a dump pipe (split) ... and put the rest towards a cooler set up.

Edited by [ STAGEN ]

...i thought it was staying unmodded!!

Its probably better/best if we just organize to meet up in a week or two and then we can have a nice long chat about it and you can just have a look under the car yourself.

I am not exactly sure what they are going to do, they may just cut and reweld the pipe with the correct angle on it if they dont bend it.

Im not welding pipes, and I simply bought a pipe kit of ebay USA yesterday. Just going to use silicone rubber tubes and clamps..... but my dad's got a MIG welder so I can zap some together if need be.

But shop quotes Ive received have been stupidly high. Like $800 for mandrel bending 2 pipes & installation.

Thanks for the tip about the auto oil cooler.... as it is Im going to do the valve body auto changeover at MV Auto's plus a big oil cooler kit. But thanks for the mention! I'll make sure it still gets the airflow...............

This is something i wanted to do, but not being in adelaide the time it takes to send mine off and a new one delivered is too long. can you keep me informed how you go with it?

Yes I certainly will keep you updated - although Id suggest this will happen later down the track, maybe mid next year (after I get my end of financial year Bonu$) :P

Quote was for $700 to supply and install the valve body and a large automatic oil cooler kit, but Ive got a contact with one of the lads there, so maybe slightly cheaper for me!! =)

Brendan

Why are you guys going for stainless steel intercooler pipework? Aluminium is so muchcheaper, lighter and easier to work with. For example rolling lips for hose retention is easy with aluminium pipe, real pain in the ass with stainless.

:P cheers :)

Im using aluminium, buying a boxload off ebay from usa.... hhm, didnt even consider the rolling of the lip. Where can you get that sort of thing done?

Cheers, BW