SAU Community

Chassis Rail Damaged

my_gtr32

:P Help, my chassis rail on my gtr was damaged by a garage using a troley jack behind the left front wheel. The rail has been pushed in quite badly.

I went to a suspension engineering mob who think the best way to fix it is to cut / split the rail open and straighten it up! Sounds very extreme to me. Has anyone tried to fix bent rails and can recomend a repair place in Melbourne? I thought maybe to fabricate a U channel to fit over the area (on both sides) and provide extra streigth and avoid future damage when the car is placed on a hoist or jack.

The right rail has some damage also from the car being jacked / hoisted up in the past. The rails are made of very thin steel. They sure don't make cars like they used to. Can anyone help?

Been there, done that. I got a panel shop in Mitcham to re-build the rail. Cost around $250 IIRC, and they only needed the car for a day.

I'll see if I can dig out the details.

siksII, bent / crushed chassis rails are a roadworthy item, at least in Vic.

That's great. I was quoted $400 and the car off the road for 3 days! Let me know if you find the info.

Been there, done that. I got a panel shop in Mitcham to re-build the rail. Cost around $250 IIRC, and they only needed the car for a day.

I'll see if I can dig out the details.

siksII, bent / crushed chassis rails are a roadworthy item, at least in Vic.

Had to go for a drive up there this morning - seems they have moved somewhere, so can't get you the info. Sorry.

Thanks guys for your help.

After contacting a number of panel shops, I have booked my car into a chassis / suspension engineering place. I spoke to one panel beater who sends some of the cars they get, there to fix this type of problem. Also cheaper than panel beaters were quoting ($1000 plus!) Unreal!

Happens all the time on the race cars, we simply drill a hole (or 2) and use a slide hammer to pull it out.  Cut the rail and replace the piece, you have got to be kidding.

:) cheers :D

Not cutting the rail, no way. One panel beater sugested to cut the floor and push it out that way. These guys are crazy. Rail will be straightened up and a metal plate welded on both rails where a hoist or jack would normally be placed. Rail will be stronger and avoid any future damage.

why not replace the rail with a new one from nissan?

Rail is not that damaged to justify unpicking the spot welds and MIG welding a new section. It's been pushed in but is still structurely sound. It's more asthetic if anything but maybe a roadwoarthy issue if an inspector was picky.

I want it fixed but don't want it to look like the car has been in an accident or anything. I'm always wery when I look under a car and there's a thick layer of sound deadner over chassis components and the floorpan. You know something has hapened to the car. My car has never been involved in an accident except for minor panel damage to the front guards.

• 15 years later...
On 14/09/2005 at 9:02 PM, my_gtr32 said:

Thanks guys for your help.

After contacting a number of panel shops, I have booked my car into a chassis / suspension engineering place. I spoke to one panel beater who sends some of the cars they get, there to fix this type of problem. Also cheaper than panel beaters were quoting ($1000 plus!) Unreal!

Hey mate i know this is a long shot from 2005, now its 2020 lol

I have the exact same problem with my chassis rail bend and need it fixed before i go in for a rwc, do u still have the contact details of this chassis/ engineering place ?

Hi Mate, yes I do. Kent and Sons.http://www.kents.net.au/

They may help. I had a U channel fabricated to fit over both rails where the jack point or hoist pad would sit. The rails are easily damaged by jacking  if you don’t be careful and distribute the load with a piece of timber or something. Good luck with it.

cheers

• 1 month later...
On 20/12/2020 at 1:13 PM, my_gtr32 said:

Hi Mate, yes I do. Kent and Sons.http://www.kents.net.au/

They may help. I had a U channel fabricated to fit over both rails where the jack point or hoist pad would sit. The rails are easily damaged by jacking  if you don’t be careful and distribute the load with a piece of timber or something. Good luck with it.

cheers

You are a champion  my friend, been looking for some 1 to fix it, will call them and try get it sorted