SAU Community

If Defected - Please Read

The Dan

Ok, I am sick of people arguing about their defects so I have done the research and found some interesting results. Some of which have already been posted in various other misc threads around. I am going to put them together in the easiest way I know how.

Carbon Fibre Bonnet : If your car is PRE 1995 then a carbon fibre IS legal....BUT it must have been made by an australian APPROVED manufacturer or a manufacturer that has been certified. THE ADR THAT APPLIES TO THIS IS ADR 69 (full frontal impact occupant protection) There is also another.....I think it is 73 but not 100% on that. ADR 69 is the important one.

POD filter : The defect is crap. There is NO RULE regarding the solid mounting of your pod air filter. As long as an air filter is fitted (non oiled) then it is ok.

I am starting with these two as it seems that the ghey cops around have found a new toy and seem to be picking on these two things mainly.

IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER DEFECTS OR QUESTIONS YOU WANT ANSWERED THEN POST IT HERE AND I WILL SEE WHAT I CAN FIND OUT.

Also, if you have done the research yourself and know of any other items...please post them. DO NOT post what you THINK is the law unless you know it to be FACT.

*NOTE* - Just because an ADR says it is ok doesn't mean it is. It has to be ADR COMPLIANT and MODIFICATION COMPLIANT also. You cannot have one without the other so make sure you check both. The number for Modfications is 07 3253 4851.

I hope this thread will eventually become sticky and people may use it to save themselves from crooked or mis-informed/ignorant police.

Edited by 3LIT3 FORS3

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, does anyone know of an australian certified carbon fibre manufacturer and i'll say i bought my hood from them.

To not have to pay my fine for my hood on my r32 i need to present a certificate that says it meets australian standards.

Daniel,

Are you also able to provide rule numbers for each of these as you find them to be able to quote. It is always a far more effective defence at the time to be able to say - "No, I am sorry, but I have to disagree. Under rule blah blah, subsection balh, there is no mention of what you are booking me for"

Cheers

Peter

In regards to guages being mounted to the pillar and/or dash board. THEY ARE ALLOWED as long as they are under the height of the top bit of your cover thing for the speedo/rpm on the dash board.

Anything above this height, you can be defected for it as it can be seen as obstructing your view.

In regards to guages being mounted to the pillar and/or dash board.  THEY ARE ALLOWED as long as they are under the height of the top bit of your cover thing for the speedo/rpm on the dash board.

Anything above this height, you can be defected for it as it can be seen as obstructing your view.

I always found this rule a bit funny - ever seen all the gizmos in a taxi and where they are mounted? theres always something above the highest point on the dash. Obviously taxi drivers must be able to see through these obstructions.

I always found this rule a bit funny - ever seen all the gizmos in a taxi and where they are mounted? theres always something above the highest point on the dash. Obviously taxi drivers must be able to see through these obstructions.

Yeah. I see that the mounting of such a thing on the dash board above the hight of whatever the thing is called is set to allow people to fight it out with the police and/or courts.

Then again, so is the noise of people's exhaust as well. Those with harely davidson's can be found to produce noise 10x more then what a noisey car would produce in my opinion and yet, they wont get defected cause the bike can as is stock standard with that amount of noise.

The BOV one. Cant remember it exactly. But atmo valves are ok, just they cant be releasing crank case emmissions, so you need a plumbed back catch can to avoid that one. And if you dont go over any noise restrictions or something. But thats only if they know those other laws.

So, does anyone know of an australian certified carbon fibre manufacturer and i'll say i bought my hood from them.

To not have to pay my fine for my hood on my r32 i need to present a certificate that says it meets australian standards.

I am currently trying to find a manufacturer of these bonnets who is compliant so I can get my friend out of his defect. Stay tuned for that one.

As for the ADR numbers....I have edited the original post. There is none for the POD air filter as there is no rule for it...hehe.

Dangerous Dave is correct with the BOVs too. As long as your crankcase emissions are going into a catch can. The can must be filtered or the crankcase gases must be filtered on the rocker cover.

There is a catch with the catch can though (pardon the pun) and that is it must be of a 3L capacity to be legal. It must be able to hold around 3/4 of your total engine capacity. This means that the small catch cans aren't really legal but you would have to get a cop who REALLY knows his shit to get you on that one.

Keep in mind people that you are within your rights to NOT ACCEPT a defect that has been issued on the grounds that it is incorrect. However, it must be incorrect to do so. You have to physically take it from the officer for it to be official. Also, if you think there is going to be an argument - MAKE SURE YOU REQUEST THAT THE CONVERSATION BE RECORDED - because if they don't know there stuff 100% then they will be more likely to let you go and if they do defect you for something that is incorrect, you will be on tape telling them it is incorrect and will help you out if you do end up in court.

yes play these cops at there own game . if they claim to know the rules then we should know what they are fineing us for. i like the sound of it. is there a webpage we can go to to read all these rules bit by bit??

Edited by 85URK

i've tried heaps of places bout carbon fiber and it looks like no one in australia has tested it and/or has a certificate to say it meets australian standards or whatever they want.

If you want carbon fiber, you have to pay to get it tested and wreck at least one, then you can get a certificate and have it legally.

So someone do it and give me a copy :) .

Long story short, all carbon fiber hoods are illegal :)

( i'll still be keeping mine, just put my mates hood on to get checked off at defect check and put mine back on)

Go carbon fiber :)

Ok these links might help a little, download the PDF booklet and check it out.

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/LTASinf...s_modifications

Also a link to what the ADRs do - to actually GET the rules themselves you have to buy the CDROM by the looks, unless anyone has had more luck with their Googling.

http://www.dotrs.gov.au/transreg/str_adrindx.aspx

To answer the exhaust question:

Exhaust systems

Exhaust systems must comply with Queensland legislation which includes the following conditions:

• Exhaust headers (extractors) may be fitted to any motor vehicle, provided: they do not foul any part of the steering, suspension, brake or fuel systems all fittings for emission control equipment (E.G.R. valve, oxygen sensor, pipes and so on) are incorporated to ensure the vehicle maintains compliance with Australian Design Rules for vehicle emissions exhaust systems must continue to comply with relevant legislation or Australian Design Rules for vehicle noise.

• The exhaust outlet must extend at least 40mm beyond the furthermost outboard or rearmost joint of the floor pan that is not continuously welded or permanently sealed which could permit direct access of exhaust gases to the passenger compartment, but not beyond the perimeter of the vehicle when viewed in plan.

• The exhaust outlet, if to the side of the vehicle, must discharge to the right hand side of the vehicle and downwards at an angle to the horizontal of not less than 15 degrees and not more than 45 degrees.

• The exhaust outlet, if to the rear of the vehicle, must discharge at not more than 10 degrees above or 45 degrees below the horizontal.

• All exhaust and muffler systems must be free of any leaks or mechanical faults and should be adequately supported.

Edited by jmac

Yeah.  I see that the mounting of such a thing on the dash board above the hight of whatever the thing is called is set to allow people to fight it out with the police and/or courts.

Then again, so is the noise of people's exhaust as well.  Those with harely davidson's can be found to produce noise 10x more then what a noisey car would produce in my opinion and yet, they wont get defected cause the bike can as is stock standard with that amount of noise.

*It is called a ''visor''.When i went to get my car engineerd they said that gauges have to be behind it but not below it.

*Bonnet squirters with ''colored led lights'' that are wired in for power are illegal.Even with a toggle on/off switch.You simply cant wire them in.

*If you have a bodykit it has to be of a legal height and affixed properly.

*A boot which has a spoiler with a brake light as stock,and is replaced by say a drift wing that is now missing the brake light is illegal.There must be a light mounted in the back window.

*The stuff about the bonnet.Catches must soild and lock properly,frame steardy i got my ''www.carmate.com'' fiberglass one passed with fowards and rearwards facing vents.

*Cuts to the body/chassie must be engineer certified.

*The enginner that i went to said ''pod filters'' are illegal because it is an emissions altering device.Also that simply enclosing them wont do any good.

*Everything regarding ''BOVS'' is that it has to be recirculating back into the system.No atmo venting.

*Oil catch cans must reciculate back through the system.

*aftermarket ecus,no no.

*Aftermarket boost controller,no no.

* In NSW the legal exhaust DB limit is 90db.

*No matter if you get an aftermarket turbo engineered,you will still fail the cars required emmissions test @ the epa.

*Turbo timers are illegal.

*Fmic are legal to have mounted front and centre but the catch is that if your emmissions change and you exceed standards because of it,it has to come off.That's one reason why they say that you cant have one without having the other.

Oil cooler.Im not for certain on this one.Has to be hard mounted from the chassie.With proper nylon lock nuts or spring washers used soild brackets no plastic,proper hoses and fittings.And wherever rubbing occurs of the hoses on anything,protection needs to be applied.

*Coil over suspension is legal as long as no part of the car dips below 100mm.

*I dont know about aftermarket handeling geometry I.E whiteline handeling kits swaybars,camber kits,urethane bushes,catsor rods and the like etc.But,Sydeny Kid says that they are street legal.When i spoke to the engineer he said that they should be able to be engineered he just had to see them on the car.

*wheels can be engineered.I cant remember what size though that they can go up from stock size though.

Basically,allmost! anything that you have on the car that is aftermarket can be engineered.And it does get very technical.

Sorry i cant give a very detailed expression of what is involved I.E measurements,pollution shit etc.This should however be a good starter guide as to what is and what isnt illegal.

You can compare what i have with what you have and then what the rta has to make a final decision as to what is legal.

Also my advise is to contact an engineer on this.as whether or not you want to go for your next lot of mods.The www.rta.nsw.gov.au has a whole heap of pdf's/writeups on totally comparable stuffs as to what i dicussed.

They never let us do any of the fun stuff :)

We have had "group buys" on everything else on these forums...why not get a copy of the ADR on a group buy but instead of everyone getting a copy - there is just one copy and it is posted for all to view. Or do you think it would violate copyright laws.

I would definately contribute $5 to this cause as I'm sure many more of you would.

Okay i just got defected.. didn't get issued a fine but i have to front up for a full inspection.

Heres the notice (sorry its hard to read, blame the coppers shit handwriting).

post-20414-1128214817.jpg

Basically he's said

"pollution control equipment disconnected"

"Venting BOV fitted"

"Race pod filter fitted"

"air filter cover missing- ADR" (wtf??)

"steering wheel to comply with ADR 10" - (he argued that it was too small and doesnt meet impact rules due to exposed metal)

"Gauge on A pillar head impact area" (I have a boost gauge)

Heres a pic of my interior-

post-20414-1128215041.jpg

He was also insistant that this is the original nissan BOV, i'm not sure...

post-20414-1128214841.jpg

I have a number of concerns. I have to ring within 7 days to book an inspection at QT where they will go over the faults.. on the form hes ticked 'Modifications" and "engine/drivelines/emissions". (the form says "replacmeent repairs or alterations to the items indicated by the tick and/or the written defects set out below"

I know that it is illegal in QLD to have mismatched sized tyres (i got 235 fronts 265 rears) and he didn't tick wheels and tyres...will they still look at this??

I also have coilovers and i dont think the ride height is legal, again he didn't tick 'steering and suspension' will they still look at this??

My plan is to rip out the boost gauge, beg/borrow/buy a standard steering wheel and airbox, make up a blocking plate where my bov is but i dont think that will be enough.

I need help on this matter, can anyone whos been in a similar situation or can offer some advice please help????