SAU Community

Buyer's Guide - The Nissan C34 Stagea

GoldZilla

Hi GoldZilla,

Thanks for the quick reply and yes I'm a Sydney guy, born and bred on the North Shore but don't hold that against me....

I would prefer the manual but the Boss can't drive a manual and it would annoy her more then me getting this car if I went for a manual and she coundn't move it out of the driveway....... but good for the amusement factor none the less.

Any idea's if the disc rotors for these are available for a reasonable price in Aus yet as in the forum it seems that the Pads are ok but the rotors need to be machined to fit. The Vectra needs the Rotors and the Pads every 45K as they are a very soft european design and it costs a fortune ($1,200 for the complete set) and I am trying to get away from that sort of rubbish.

The other thing that I am trying to work out is how much do these things drink ? I've seen 11l/100km and 15.6l/km quoted, what is the average that you are getting with standard city - suburb driving with a little lead foot thrown in for sh*$s and giggles, also can they tolerate the Methenol fuel as that stuff makes the Vectra sit up and howl not to mention the extra legs 40-50k per tank on the 95octane 10%meth

I get your point about the Stagea community you all sound pretty great with the info sharing and helping out mates with mechanical issues, damn good to see and looking foreward to being part of it.

Best Regards

Sasquach.

Hi GoldZilla,

Thanks for the quick reply and yes I'm a Sydney guy, born and bred on the North Shore but don't hold that against me....

I would prefer the manual but the Boss can't drive a manual and it would annoy her more then me getting this car if I went for a manual and she coundn't move it out of the driveway....... but good for the amusement factor none the less.

Any idea's if the disc rotors for these are available for a reasonable price in Aus yet as in the forum it seems that the Pads are ok but the rotors need to be machined to fit. The Vectra needs the Rotors and the Pads every 45K as they are a very soft european design and it costs a fortune ($1,200 for the complete set) and I am trying to get away from that sort of rubbish.

The other thing that I am trying to work out is how much do these things drink ? I've seen 11l/100km and 15.6l/km quoted, what is the average that you are getting with standard city - suburb driving with a little lead foot thrown in for sh*$s and giggles, also can they tolerate the Methenol fuel as that stuff makes the Vectra sit up and howl not to mention the extra legs 40-50k per tank on the 95octane 10%meth

I get your point about the Stagea community you all sound pretty great with the info sharing and helping out mates with mechanical issues, damn good to see and looking foreward to being part of it.

Best Regards

Sasquach.

Hmm, not too sure about the disc rotors, I haven't had to replace mine yet, so I've never looked for a match.

As for fuel consumption, I just fuelled up and thought I'd had a shocker, with 36.58litres over 261.6kms, but that turned out to average out at a nudge under 14l/100kms. Considering my car is running off-colour, I was quite happy with that - I'd just gone to order a timing belt, spark plugs (coppers, as Iridiums might last longer, but are sometimes troublesome), and an Oxygen sensor, but nothing was in stock...

Oh, and I'm currently experimenting with United Boost 98, which has 10% Ethanol (not Methanol...) :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

i get like 300 KM to a 15 gallon tank

i did however just replace al my pads iwth endless brake pads for around 300.00 (usd)

Edited by yokotas13

Long time reader, first time poster...

I've been looking at Stageas for a while now and i'm pretty hooked. I went and test drove a late 96 RS4 yesterday and was impressed, but I have a few questions. This one was without log books, but had the manuals and all the compliance papers- is that normal, or should i wait for one with logbooks? Without much technical knowledge, when will the engine hit boost (I've been told 3-3500 rpm), but again, i'm not sure. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the car- no rust, good conditon, and 55k kms.

the only thing the log book is going to tell you is wether the odo is correct and for an 11 year old car to have 55k on it, you can be reasonably sure it isn't (it works out to less than 100km's a week....)

This is not uncommon for any import, and you would be much better off going by the overall condition of the car and mechanicals to judge its true life. The biggest problem I can forsee is you will have no idea when the important stuff like timing belts will need to be done.

Use the Search button and you will undoubtedly find answers to pretty much any questions you will have as they are bound to have been answered before.

Good luck with the hunt, you wont find anyone here that has regretted the move to "a touring wagon that is functional yet comfortable" ;)

late 96 RS4 ....55k kms

lol I can't beleive they wind cars back that far!

I just picked up a 96 rs4 recently, 100k on the clock, good condition interior so I am more inclined to beleive the klm. I am yet to see one with log books, but you can often find stickers on the car with klm on them, eg timing belt changed at sticker, or ones inside the drivers door jamb.

Whatever the klm say, just give it a 100k service when you get it (timing belt, water pump, new oils and fluids, new plugs) and it will run fine for years :D

Long time reader, first time poster...

I've been looking at Stageas for a while now and i'm pretty hooked. I went and test drove a late 96 RS4 yesterday and was impressed, but I have a few questions. This one was without log books, but had the manuals and all the compliance papers- is that normal, or should i wait for one with logbooks? Without much technical knowledge, when will the engine hit boost (I've been told 3-3500 rpm), but again, i'm not sure. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the car- no rust, good conditon, and 55k kms.

You should feel boost start to build at around 2,500rpm, and by 3,500 it *should* be at or near full boost.

Oh, and mine was built in '97, and has roughly 92,500kms. Not sure how genuine it is, but I've just changed my timing belt regardless - I'd rather do it early than risk it snapping and screwing up my engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I have just joined as i am looking to buy a Jap import 2000 Stagea 25RS with 71300k on the clock.

Came here to find out as much info as possible in the quickest time. Great site.

Does any one know about the Satellite navigation system. It has a touch screen which is shared with the TV (no picture reception here) and also the air conditioning. Can this Sat/Nav be updated or switched off at least, and if I replace just the radio, does that need to connect to the big screen? Does the aircon show with japanese characters and can it be switched to English.

Basically, is this system going to be a problem to deal with?

Also, in the post above someone mentioned that anything with an RS has a turbo. I didnt think this one was turboed. I'm a little confused.

The dealer told us 9.8L/100km and was a little surprised at that figure, which is the same as my 2L Primera. Is he just talking through his Rs?

Any info appreciated as soon as possible.

Cheers

Hi.

I have just joined as i am looking to buy a Jap import 2000 Stagea 25RS with 71300k on the clock.

Came here to find out as much info as possible in the quickest time. Great site.

Does any one know about the Satellite navigation system. It has a touch screen which is shared with the TV (no picture reception here) and also the air conditioning. Can this Sat/Nav be updated or switched off at least, and if I replace just the radio, does that need to connect to the big screen? Does the aircon show with japanese characters and can it be switched to English.

Also, in the post above someone mentioned that anything with an RS has a turbo. I didnt think this one was turboed. I'm a little confused.

The dealer told us 9.8L/100km and was a little surprised at that figure, which is the same as my 2L Primera. Is he just talking through his Rs?

Cheers

hi dave, just read your post thought someone else would of helped you out buy now[lazy bastards] as far as the screen goes at this stage all it does is run your a/c,no real drama to operate & if the screen annoys you just turn it of[when you work out which touch controls to use] screen topic has been discussed heaps,have a search. pretty sure only turbos allowed in aus, dont even think about non turbo defeats the whole purpose of owning a stagea, as far as fuel goes they use heaps[been covered plenty...search] can be ok with the right mods & tune & a light shoe, i've had 10/100 hwy, cheers leetom

^^ what he said about fuel.

I traded up from an EB wagon and got told the stagea would use LESS fuel....WRONG!!!! But seriously, you don't get all that extra power for nothing :dry:

I really recommend getting your hands on the VIN number and getting someone to run it through FAST (the nissan database) because if it isn't a turbo from the factory then it can't be legally complied for Australia.

*speaks from experience*

:P

Hi.

Cheers

Hey Dave,

firstly, welcome to Skylines Australia!

To answer your questions, as far as the TV reception goes, Japan uses NTSC signals just like America, so you might get sounds coming through, but no picture, as we use the PAL system here in Oz - I'm assuming you're from Australia too... Playing CDs won't be a problem, of course, but radio reception will require a band converter so that you can receive the local 87.0 to 108.0MHz signals. As for the rest of the issues, I couldn't tell you personally, as mine didn't have the SatNav/TV in it, and therefore my A/C controls are separate. Like leetom has mentioned, it has been covered before, so if you do a search and still can't find an answer, post up a new thread.

According to the research I've done, all RS models are turbocharged, and if you have a look at the car in question (whether in the metal or just through photos), it should be easy to tell if it's turbocharged or not just by looking at the engine itself. If it's a 2000 model, it will be running the Neo6 engine from the R34 Skylines, and the word "turbo" should be clearly marked on the big plastic engine cover. If you don't have access to the car, or any photos, try and get a VIN number and get someone to run it through FAST, as newbie101 has stated.

Fuel consumption is in the 11-16l/100kms range, depending on how you drive and a few other factors here and there. 9.8l/100kms is a bit of a stretch - maybe that's what the "official" figures might be, but in the real world you'd be lucky to achieve that in most cars!

Whatever happens, you'll be happy with your purchase - there aren't that many cars out there that compete when you weigh up all the features that the Stagea has, especially compared to the local offerings.

YAY...buy it & boost it!!!!

Don't know if there is a turbo...just look down the exhaust side and look for a heatshield popping out the side or an intercoller behind the passenger side of the front grille.

when looking for parts you will find searches on here invaluable...

*i love you guys* :)

Does any one know about the Satellite navigation system.

It wont work in Aus. And you'll be lucky for the manufacturer to supply the necessary software to run it here. They'll just tell you to buy an Australian version.

Does the aircon show with japanese characters and can it be switched to English.

Last time I checked these numbers in japanese: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0, looked like this in english: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0, so you should be pretty safe here.

Is the Pope catholic?

I didnt think this one was turboed. I'm a little confused.

It's definitley turbo or something is horribly wrong. But then again the dealer is telling you...

9.8L/100km fuel economy
Is he just talking through his Rs?

Yes talking and blowing at the same time. :unsure:

None of this is to talk you out of buying the car. Either way you'll be happy, we all are. Just buy the car on it own merits and get a friend or RACQ/NRMA who knows cars to check it out for you.

Just got myself (er the missus) a 2004 model AR-X .... well it will be on it's way here soon. Has all the option boxes ticked so should be interesting to see what we actually get.

Cheers

Muz

we will be also interested to see what you get, who did you get it thru and are there any pics,

good luck leetom.

we will be also interested to see what you get, who did you get it thru and are there any pics,

good luck leetom.

Got it thru J-Spec (Craig Moor) from auctions, very easy to deal with, very simple process. Should have plenty of pics any day now so will post them up when they arrive. The whole process to date has been without any dramas. We got it for my wife who has been driving a Territory for a few years. She is a person who does not normally get excited at all about buying a car but she damn near drove me crazy buying this one. She loved it right from the moment it came up on the Auction board. Another interesting thing I found out when transferring the money to Japan, my bank (Bendigo Bank) gave me a higher (better) exchange rate because of the amount being transferred. The lovely teller volunteered it as part of the service.

Some quick specs for your consumption:

VQ25DET

18" Wheels standard

higher suspension set (bit like Subaru Forrester)

Leather interior (with heated seats)

Sat Nav

TV/DVD

Bose Stereo

All wheel drive

4 wheel steer

Electronic Traction Control (with snow mode - which is going to be really helpful up here in Cairns)

Twin Sunroofs

Split A/C

and some other stuff I couldn't translate with my very basic Japanese skills

Cheers

Muz

Edited by Muz

It wont work in Aus. And you'll be lucky for the manufacturer to supply the necessary software to run it here. They'll just tell you to buy an Australian version.

Last time I checked these numbers in japanese: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0, looked like this in english: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0, so you should be pretty safe here.

Is the Pope catholic?

It's definitley turbo or something is horribly wrong. But then again the dealer is telling you...

Yes talking and blowing at the same time. :laugh:

None of this is to talk you out of buying the car. Either way you'll be happy, we all are. Just buy the car on it own merits and get a friend or RACQ/NRMA who knows cars to check it out for you.

Thanks for you input. I bought it anyway.

The 25RS I bought is definately non-turbo, and the dealer didnt ever say it was. By they way, I am in NZL, not Aus, so we must have different importing rules, and therefore anything that says RS, does not necessarily mean turbo.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for you input. I bought it anyway.

The 25RS I bought is definately non-turbo, and the dealer didnt ever say it was. By they way, I am in NZL, not Aus, so we must have different importing rules, and therefore anything that says RS, does not necessarily mean turbo.

Cheers

Dave

good luck with the car mate you will have to let us know how a 1600kg 2.5ltr non turbo stagea goes.