SAU Community

Buyer's Guide - The Nissan C34 Stagea

GoldZilla

Just make sure you get your hands on the VIN# before you hand over any money, and get someone to FAST it for you, that way you will know what is std and what has been messed with.

EXACTLY - getting the VIN and running it through FAST will let you know exactly what features the car left the factory with, so you'll have a good idea of what's been done to the car by the previous owner(s).

I believe the black interior finish is the standard finish on Stageas, and the car should come fitted with 2-piston front and 1-piston rear brakes. If the one you've looked at is pre-November 1998, then it will be a series 1 (which, apart from having the non-NEO engine will also have single headlights (with the yellow fog inside the main unit) and amber indicators on the taillights instead of clear ones.

The fluid reservoir in the boot, as Ryan has mentioned, is for the ATTESA system - the only Stagea that came out with HICAS is the RS-Four S, which is a series 2 factory manual.

Thanks Guys, I got it up in the air, and as you've mentioned, someone has fitted the four pots, but it looks like a proper Japanese conversion kit was used so no dramas there. The only other extras that I can see is a big bore all the way through, pod filter (which would be removed instantly) and an earth kit. But it's looking good other than that, and for $5500 you can't go wrong.

I am finding that most Stageas in NZ have the woodgrain interior except for the RS's and upwards, maybe it's just the ones I've seen. I am pretty sure it is a series 1 but the headlights are all white.

Also, What's FAST? besides Stageas :domokun:

hey ive been looking to buy a stagea but have i picky choice when it come to choosing one .... but its hard to find a pattern with the options they come .... Im looking for the RS Four Neo (easy) but i want one to have ... ;

Leather Seats ; Woodgrain inserts ; Dual sunroof ; Auto trans

. . . . i thort i figured out the pattern that all RED painted ones came with Leather ... was then proven wrong .. Thort all White had dual sunroof as i saw 4 consitant ones ... proven one again ... YELLOW seems to have all this options but comes in manual .. seen only two Yellow for my tally and they are both the same ..... now is there any perticula model or colour that has the option's iv'e listed. and another thing is there a website that does body kits, bonnets for the Stagea RS four Neo ? *takes a deep breath*

hey ive been looking to buy a stagea but have i picky choice when it come to choosing one .... but its hard to find a pattern with the options they come .... Im looking for the RS Four Neo (easy) but i want one to have ... ;

Leather Seats ; Woodgrain inserts ; Dual sunroof ; Auto trans

. . . . i thort i figured out the pattern that all RED painted ones came with Leather ... was then proven wrong .. Thort all White had dual sunroof as i saw 4 consitant ones ... proven one again ... YELLOW seems to have all this options but comes in manual .. seen only two Yellow for my tally and they are both the same ..... now is there any perticula model or colour that has the option's iv'e listed. and another thing is there a website that does body kits, bonnets for the Stagea RS four Neo ? *takes a deep breath*

If you are after a Series 2 with the Neo engine with the options you mentioned, your best chances of getting all those options are in a white or silver car and probably the "Prime Edition". These colours seem to be the most popular colours for the Series 2 and therefore increase your chance of getting these more desirable options.

I think it you get the leather seats it will come with electric and heated seats as standard. Difficult to get a non Prime Edition with all those options I think but not impossible.

I waited 6 months and my importer (J-Spec HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) searched high and low in Japan for a car to my spec. Found about 1-2 per month at Auctions fitting most of the description- Factory Black Series 2, Grade 4B, leather/elec/heated seats, woodgrain, tiptronic, LSD, low kms, log books, etc, but some were just not in good condition.

You should have more luck as long as you are open to colour choice and use an importer who will persist- Not all will!. I came across probably 2-5 per week at Auction with the options you mentioned.

Try getting a good Black Series 2 factory Manual with leather and sunroof - now thats hard!

If you are after a Series 2 with the Neo engine with the options you mentioned, your best chances of getting all those options are in a white or silver car and probably the "Prime Edition". These colours seem to be the most popular colours for the Series 2 and therefore increase your chance of getting these more desirable options.

I think it you get the leather seats it will come with electric and heated seats as standard. Difficult to get a non Prime Edition with all those options I think but not impossible.

I waited 6 months and my importer (J-Spec HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) searched high and low in Japan for a car to my spec. Found about 1-2 per month at Auctions fitting most of the description- Factory Black Series 2, Grade 4B, leather/elec/heated seats, woodgrain, tiptronic, LSD, low kms, log books, etc, but some were just not in good condition.

You should have more luck as long as you are open to colour choice and use an importer who will persist- Not all will!. I came across probably 2-5 per week at Auction with the options you mentioned.

Try getting a good Black Series 2 factory Manual with leather and sunroof - now thats hard!

not fussed on colour really ... but dont wanna get a manual .. i do a lil bit of city driving .. and noticed driving my 95 holden comm' with the heavy duty clutch ... my leg is numb and clutch feels funny before i get to the open road to sit in top gear .... alot of riding the clutch and not even getting out of 1st .... so the auto is best suited for me and just a more cuisy ride .. looking for style and luxury ... but with the bang when i feel like i need to show those kids who borrow there dad's vt or whatever hehe nice ... thanks anyway dude .. i'll keep looking... also spotted 3 M35 stagea on carsales.com.au for 20k in sydney ... but then they have VQ engine and not the RB so its pointless for my plates ...

post-16976-1199955744_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm also in the market for a very similar spec Stagea...luxury wagon cruiser. I like Pearl so there's a start. Nice and clean for the Stageas design.

Ilike the idea of leather seats but reckon the choose your own...through the group buy would be a good answer. A nice cream and black would look so cool....with a pearl car.

Lot of the Reds seems to have colour fade on the bonnet ? According to the auction sheets.

My buyer reckons Stageas have stalled compared to Legnums. Any thoughts on why I should go Stag instead? :)

Quite simply: potential: there is nowhere near the support for Legnums as there is for Stageas in the aftermarket.

If you're leaving it stock, then the Legnum has the advantage of 5 speeds, full 4wd (apparently), and is a lot more agressively styled (obviously)...

The Stagea is also far larger, which may or may not be an advantage.

I have a mildly modified Stagea, which is my daily driver at the moment, but I am making it a weekender when the Legnum I just bought arrives... Says it all really: Stagea for fun, Leggy for grocery shopping, etc...

Horses for courses, although I believe a stock Legnum should be significantly quicker than a stock c34 Stagea...

hi team,

I was going down the legnum track after selling my R33 - was going for black / leather / tiptronic / low k's etc.

Was going to until i started looking up aftermarket parts for it ( or lack thereof).

Then realised that there was oodles of support for my r33 so a r34 stagea would be just the same.

With me with the stage a it was more the quality of the car and the k's. In all hindsight i would of loved and black / leather / tip or manual r34 but im getting a red one instead.

Never had a red car before, but im sure ill either get use to it.. or respray it black.. the interior is getting retrimmed to black leather anyway.

The price was cheap and is in 4.5 / 5 a/a condition so i was reallly impressed with that. I got over 50 pics of the car so i could see full details.. no rust and engine is good.

also the one im getting is not listed in the O.P

4. 25t RS V Wagon FR AT Gasoline 2498 RB25DET GF-WGC34 $24900 is mine.. its the RWD RS-V.. i got to drive both 4WD and RWD at a local importer and i must say that the RWD one is a tad more fun :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all,

As I've mentioned in previous threads, here is a "STICKIED" link to all your Stagea buying tips on what to look for, and most of the stuff you will find useful in making your choices!

Anyone can add to the thread, and I will make an effort to regularly add all of the most important stuff to this first post so potential buyers don't have to read the whole lot to get the information they need. Oh, and if I get something wrong, please let me know...

So, here goes:

BODYWORK AND CHASSIS

Check for:

* Rust and/or paint bubbling and peeling under the door wing mirrors;

* Rust around the strut towers, where the strut tower brace is bolted down;

* Rust and/or paint bubbling and peeling in and around the sunroof runners (if fitted with a sunroof);

* Condition of door seals and rust where the seals attach to the body;

* Rust on the door and boot hinges;

* Rust in the spare wheel cavity...

Body Dimensions:

* Exterior Dimensions (LxWxH), mm: 4800 x 1755 x 1495

* Wheel base, mm: 2720

* Track (F/R), mm: 1460 / 1515

* Ground clearance, mm: 145

* Curb vehicle weight, kg: 1620-1660

* Seating capacity, persons: 5

* Doors number: 5

* Min.turning radius, m: 5.3

* Fuel tank capacity, l: 68

ENGINE & DRIVELINE

Check for:

* Is the colour of the oil a really dark brown? (Worse still, if it's whitish, see the next point) If the oil is dark brown and really thick instead of smooth and runny, then it may indicate that it hasn't been changed in a while, or that there is excessive engine wear.

* Water in the oil (is the oil under the cap milky and white, instead of a darkish brown? This could indicate a blown head gasket, or worse);

* Bubbles in the radiator fluid (obviously, check this when the engine is still cold, usually just after you've started it);

* Is the idle smooth? This could be a minor issue with some loose/damaged vacuum hoses, but it also could be a lot worse...

Engine Specs - Series I (1996 - July 1998). This is for the 25t RS-Four, as the most commonly seen version here in Australia:

* RB25DET engine, 2.5 litres, DOHC, 24-valve, turbocharged, same basic specs as a series II R-33 Skyline GTS25t;

* 173kW @ 6400rpm, 275Nm @ 4800rpm - figures quoted are at the flywheel;

* E-AT Electronically-controlled four-speed automatic with overdrive and electronic lock-up torque converter;

* ATESSA-ETS electronically-controlled four wheel drive... There was no manual option in the Series I.

Engine Specs - Series II (August 1998 - 2001). Once again, this is for the 25t RS-Four.

* RB25DET Neo engine, 2.5 litres, DOHC, 24-valve, turbocharged, same basic specs as an R-34 Skyline GTt;

* 206kW @ 6400rpm, 333Nm @ 3200rpm (or 343Nm @ 3200rpm in RS-Four S manual) - figures quoted are at the flywheel;

* E-ATx Electronically-controlled four-speed automatic with overdrive and electronic lock-up torque converter; or

* M-ATx E-AT Electronically-controlled four-speed automatic with overdrive and electronic lock-up torque converter and Tiptronic function; or

* 5-speed manual

FACTORY FEATURES AND OPTIONS

All Stageas have:

* Power windows;

* Power mirrors (including a fold-in feature for parking in tight spaces);

* Driver's and Passenger's SRS airbags;

* Roof rails;

* Reclinable and fold-down (by use of a nifty handle in the luggage bay) rear seats, with a centre fold-down arm rest;

* Climate control air-conditioning;

* Electronic odometer and dual trip-meters;

* Various hooks and tie-down points in the luggage bay so your cargo doesn't go flying around;

* Tilt-adjustable steering column;

* 12v lighter socket in the rear luggage area;

* Leather steering wheel;

* Front fog lamps;

* Front, variable intermittent windscreen wipers;

* Rear window wiper;

* Front spoiler;

* UV-cutting glass (front doors and windscreen) - all models;

* Dual cup-holders in the dashboard;

* Keyless entry;

Commonly fitted Optional Extras include:

* Front centre arm rest, some of which can be opened towards either the driver or passenger;

* Luggage bay roll-out cover;

* Luggage bay safety net;

* Privacy glass (rear doors and rear luggage area) - RS models and above;

* Dual sunrooves (front one is tilt and slide, rear is a slide-only);

* Electric, self-closing rear door (boot)...

Other, less common Stagea Optional Extras include:

* Leather seats and interior trims;

* Electric seats (only available with the leather option)...

* Extra 12v bayonet-style sockets on the left side of the luggage area, the inside of the luggage area door and the D-pillar for bayonet-fit accessories such as a torch, etc.;

* Limited Slip Differential (manual RS Four S models)

CHASSIS CODES

Model:......................Driveline:...............Engine:..............Chassi

Code:

RS Four S..................AWD manual..........RB25DET Neo......WGNC34

RS Four V..................AWD......................RB25DET............WGNC34

RS Four.....................AWD......................RB25DET............WGNC34

RS............................RWD......................RB25DET............WGC34

25X Four...................AWD.......................RB25DE.............WGNC34

25G Four...................AWD.......................RB25DE.............WGNC34

25X..........................RWD.......................RB25DE.............WGC34

25G..........................RWD.......................RB25DE.............WGC34

20G..........................RWD.......................RB20DE.............WHC34

So, basically, when it comes to model spec, "RS" is anything turbo, "RS Four" is turbo AWD, "Four" is any AWD, and "RS Four S" is turbo AWD with manual (series 2 only, and there were NO turbo RWDs).

As far as chassis codes, series 1 all had an "E-" prefix (such as E-WHC34), and series 2 all had the "GF-" prefix (such as GF-WGNC34).

WHC = RB20DE power (the lowest model and in one spec level and RWD only)

WGC = RB25DE or RB25DET power, and RWD only

WGNC = RB25DE or RB25DET power, AWD.

So, H = RB20 power, G = RB25 power, and GN = RB25 + AWD.

All this info was found RIGHT HERE, and I will update the first post when I have time with more specific details regarding release dates, spec levels, and options.

COLOUR AND TRIM

Exterior Colours:

* Bayside Blue (TV-2)

* Sonic Silver (KR-4)

* Black Pearl (GV-1)

* Lightning Yellow (EV-1)

* Sherwood Green Pearl (DR-2)

* Active Red (AR-2)

* White Pearl (QT-1)

Here is another source of specifications: http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/nissan/s...a/1997_8/21850/

All RS Fours have the same ATESSA, but it's not up to the spec of the GTR's. smaller axels and diffs i think.

But remembering hte Pulsar GTiR has ATESSA too, it's just a different driveline, so i think the ATESSA system is the same, it's just the driveline that makes the difference

The Stagea has the full computer controlled ATESSA compared with the hydraulic/mechanical earlier Nissan system. My non turbo 1997 Stagea had cloth seats with electrical adjustment for the driver but my new (also 1997) turbo hasn't got electric seats. Both cars have a power tailgate though. See also:

http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/nissan/s...a/1997_8/21850/

Awesome, I'm getting quoted from 3 years ago.

Just be wary how much information you take from that website, you can't trust the Russians 100%. I've found small pieces of information to not be 100% accurate from that site, relating to other cars mainly. it's a good source of information but don't take it as gospel.

• 2 weeks later...
Awesome, I'm getting quoted from 3 years ago.

Just be wary how much information you take from that website, you can't trust the Russians 100%. I've found small pieces of information to not be 100% accurate from that site, relating to other cars mainly. it's a good source of information but don't take it as gospel.

Damn reds! :down:

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, that would be the series 2 RS-V. There are a few running around in Australia, and joe26f up near Newcastle is amongst the owners... They are slowly getting more popular. They're roughly 100kg lighter than any of the AWD versions.

• 4 weeks later...

hey everyone, i am new to this forum but after reading through this and comparing the stagea i am picking up next weekend to what everyone has said it sounds like a good deal. its a black manual 1999 wgnc34 with 77000km, $21000 on road. the only strange this i have noticed is alot of the ppl on here seam to be saying that there stageas are quick, not to sound silly but i find mine to be quite comparable to my moms camry in power. is it just because mine is manual that it is so underpowered?? or have other ppl noticed this too. also ive noticed that my stagea has a panel with 3 guages in the dash-amps, boost and front end torque. is this stock?? the boost guage is from -7 to +7 but only gets up half way is this normal i thought it should get higher thats all.

thank you

hi, yes manual versions have those 3 panels in center.

re boost, stock boost is around 450mmHg (.6 bar), so just over half of your gauge, assuming the stock gauge is accurate. You would need to attach/borrow a more accurate aftermarket gauge to determine what your boost is doing and whether your boost solenoid is working.

They are not fast in standard form, especially with stock exhaust, and compliancer may have put a restrictive cat converter on.

So, without a full exhaust system and boost controller for starters it's nothing special performance wise.

but at least do the high boost modification, there is a thread around it will give you 7psi all the time (standard it only runs 4psi in 1st and second under 4000rpm) this makes a big difference to low end response